Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, it is the armchair GM thread and hiring/firing of coaches and assistants is a part of the GM’s job
We already have dedicated threads for the bitching, crying and whining about both Gulutzan and Cameron.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hoffman is great, but honestly he is pretty one dimensional. Depending on the price, I’d be out pretty easily.

Hoffman is actually very underrated defensively. When he's on the ice, he breaks plays in the neutral zone, and carries the puck out of the Dzone well. That's why he plays LW, despite being a sniper, because of his transition ability. Otherwise he'd be a RWer due to his shot. Also helps he's a good shot suppressor and goals suppressor even with easy high Ozone starts, that's definitely impressive.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I dont know about that. They are both struggling. It may cost more than Bennett but Bennett definitely get us in the door, maybe even the dinner table lol

The difference is that Domi's shown something at the NHL level, Bennett hasn't. Domi's having an off year, Bennett will just likely never become more than a 40-45 point guy.

You never know though. They sold low on Duclair big time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Was listening to the guys on Fan960 this morning, and they more or less brought up the same points as I've been saying.
Calgary won't be in the market to land a big fish; we don't have the assets to make it happen... additionally, we're not a playoff guarantee after that losing streak (to think, if we would have won the game we should have; we'd be comfortably in a playoff spot right now looking at a run).

More or less, cheap rentals, value rentals and then finally hockey trades.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was listening to the guys on Fan960 this morning, and they more or less brought up the same points as I've been saying.
Calgary won't be in the market to land a big fish; we don't have the assets to make it happen... additionally, we're not a playoff guarantee after that losing streak (to think, if we would have won the game we should have; we'd be comfortably in a playoff spot right now looking at a run).

More or less, cheap rentals, value rentals and then finally hockey trades.
Prospects that are developing really well, carry more value than draft picks. As a result, someone like Andersson may have more value than our first round pick if we had it. So, I really don't buy this "we don't have the assets" bullshit

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Prospects that are developing really well, carry more value than draft picks. As a result, someone like Andersson may have more value than our first round pick if we had it. So, I really don't buy this "we don't have the assets" bull****

Every team in the league always has the assets its whether you can afford to give them up especially considering the players you are getting back.

After trading away 1st's and 2nd's for Hamilton, Smith and Hamonic I am not sure we can give up the little remaining prospects we have for the secondary pieces that they would bring back.

So while we may technically have the "assets" I don't think we really have the depth to give up what it would take to get the big fish.

Reactions: Cyrano

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Prospects that are developing really well, carry more value than draft picks. As a result, someone like Andersson may have more value than our first round pick if we had it. So, I really don't buy this "we don't have the assets" bull****

I concur. To some teams that are trying to stop rebuilding like Buffalo, I think someone like Andersson has more value by being almost NHL ready, as opposed to a 1st that might not be ready for several years.

That being said, I don't want to move Andersson.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

See below.

Every team in the league always has the assets its whether you can afford to give them up especially considering the players you are getting back.

After trading away 1st's and 2nd's for Hamilton, Smith and Hamonic I am not sure we can give up the little remaining prospects we have for the secondary pieces that they would bring back.

So while we may technically have the "assets" I don't think we really have the depth to give up what it would take to get the big fish.

Even Baxter gets it.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
One guy nobody is talking about but could be cheaper then Hoffman is Pageau. He's having a tough year, as is the whole team, but I think his RHS would fit well with our 3rd line...He's smaller, but tough, and has shown good offensive instincts over the past couple of years. If, for a small cost we could boost our 3rd line, I'd do it.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Bennett has had less success with Versteeg than he has with Brouwer, Bennett's drop off last season came when Brouwer was injured and Versteeg was bumped down the lineup.

I think the difference here is that Bennett is on the wing now. Bennett struggled at C with Versteeg and a scrub. I'd at least give them a few games to see if they could get going.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
One guy nobody is talking about but could be cheaper then Hoffman is Pageau. He's having a tough year, as is the whole team, but I think his RHS would fit well with our 3rd line...He's smaller, but tough, and has shown good offensive instincts over the past couple of years. If, for a small cost we could boost our 3rd line, I'd do it.

I doubt Pageau would be cheap.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Pageau is the type of player many people admire when he's not on their team. But the lustre fades when he joins you because he's just a middle 6er

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I doubt Pageau would be cheap.

Pageau would not be cheap. Contending teams see him as a 3C. Contract is great too. Players have higher value at C than RW so it doesn’t make sense to pay C price for a guy we’re going to put on the wing

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Brodie+Bennett extras for Stone+25% retained Phaneuf as a base. Bennett and Brodie are struggling, we should maximize their value and try and land the piece this team really needs. Throw in Dube if we need to sweeten.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Stone
Frolik-Jankowski-Lazar
Brouwer-Stajan-Hathaway

Gio-Hamilton
Phaneuf-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Sometimes I forget Brouwer is even on our team watching the games. It's like he wears an invisibility cloak around.
You guys realize that all you need to do is put me in a position to get Brouwer's autograph and he'll be gone within 90 days.

Every autograph I've obtained has resulted in the player leaving the Flames organization within 60 days, and with the exception of Ales Kotalik, who took 120 days (but he was already in the minors).

That being said, Brouwer hasn't been playing bad, he just hasn't been playing $4.5 million "good"

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Brodie+Bennett extras for Stone+25% retained Phaneuf as a base. Bennett and Brodie are struggling, we should maximize their value and try and land the piece this team really needs. Throw in Dube if we need to sweeten.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Stone
Frolik-Jankowski-Lazar
Brouwer-Stajan-Hathaway

Gio-Hamilton
Phaneuf-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

I don't think Brodie and Bennett gets you close to Stone. That leaves Ottawa with arguably the worst forward group in the NHL and no real young guys or prospects coming up.

I doubt Ottawa moves Stone in anything other than a crazy overpay.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I'd love Pageau, if nothing else he's a proven playoff warrior. I don't think Ottawa wants to move him short of overpayment though.

Plus I'm not sure I trust Burke to not whine when we already have Gaudreau, Mangiapane and Phillips in the system.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Phaneuf has a cap hit of 7M for another 3 years after this season, which would hurt the Flames' ability to re-sign their own key players, namely Tkachuk and Ferland. And no way does Melnyk retain salary on a contract that long or of enough significance to make it worthwhile.

And if the Senators are trading Stone, they're going to want someone much younger than Brodie who's 27 as the main piece. If they move Stone, it means they're going full rebuild and that means the ask is Monahan, Hamilton or Tkachuk.

Reactions: Dack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad