Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'm not really sure why OTT fans think they are going to get a kings ransom for Hoffman. He's a solid offensive piece for anyone's top 6. But he's not Wayne Simmonds. defensive prospects are all we can afford. I wouldn't trade Bennett straight up for him given the upside he still has and the toughness he brings on the ice. I've seen enough of Hoffman to know what he is, and I'm a big Hoffman fan as well, guy is clutch imo. But he's not worth what their fans are asking for.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'm not really sure why OTT fans think they are going to get a kings ransom for Hoffman. He's a solid offensive piece for anyone's top 6. But he's not Wayne Simmonds. defensive prospects are all we can afford. I wouldn't trade Bennett straight up for him given the upside he still has and the toughness he brings on the ice. I've seen enough of Hoffman to know what he is, and I'm a big Hoffman fan as well, guy is clutch imo. But he's not worth what their fans are asking for.

Hoffman is better than Simmonds, more productive 5on5, better sniper, better defensively. But I'd rather trade more for Simmonds than Hoffman as Simmonds fits a need more.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So, assuming he put us on his list, whaddya think about Rick Nash?

Yeah yeah, left shot.

He's played RW in the past, some teams may have difficulty adding his full cap hit (Flames have cap space) not that the Rangers care.

I like the fit but I think he will cost too much assetwise, especially because we would be very unlikely to be able to re-sign him, and I think we are almost certainly on his no-trade list.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'm a little late to the party but Domi would cost much more than Bennett. Bennett doesn't even get us in the door.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Typical price for rentals are picks, prospects and if necessary, cap dumps. Nash would be no exception; depending on demand, one or two second round picks (or a first instead) and a decent prospect. Comparable would be the Eric Staal trade who went for two second rounders and a prospect in Saarela.

But Flames are low on picks, which hinders things a fair bit. Teams may or may not want your prospects (organizational strengths and whatnot), but they always want more picks. Moreover, in light of the Flames' consistent inconsistency, they shouldn't be going after rentals anyway, especially playoff chokers like Nash.

If things go bad (more bad) in Carolina, Flames should go heavily after Elias Lindholm. Bennett+Mangiapane+?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm a little late to the party but Domi would cost much more than Bennett. Bennett doesn't even get us in the door.

I dont know about that. They are both struggling. It may cost more than Bennett but Bennett definitely get us in the door, maybe even the dinner table lol

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Nash is a more expensive Vanek. Do not want

I think Nash gives you an above average defensive winger and effort all the time. Vanek is a dud defensively and his effort depends on how he is feeling that shift and almost never is better than meh.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Nash is a guy I might look into during the offseason. Definitely not a deadline deal though. I feel like Stempniak would fill the same role, and he'd be much cheaper.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fair points guys, though it was half in jest.

Think the biggest concern I have that I fear no one may be realizing is that I feel we may end up a budget team in the vein of the Yotes. We'll even have their management who are excellent in doing excellent spurts of mediocrity.

The Calizona Flamotes or whatever combination of the words you'd like to use, is something I fear may end up in our near ish future. None of this would be the fault of management. It would be pure ownership mandate. We've been blessed with relatively great ownership for many years. I'm concerned it might not last.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we find ourselves slipping well out of the playoff race, would you trade Hamilton for the "large chunk of futures" Yzerman has reportedly put up on the table?

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When Versteeg is back...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Versteeg
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer
Hathaway/Klimchuk

Send Hrivik and Mangiapane back down, recall Klimchuk for a bit and give him some time, even if it's just to get him in some practices and see how he does.
Bennett has had less success with Versteeg than he has with Brouwer, Bennett's drop off last season came when Brouwer was injured and Versteeg was bumped down the lineup.

Ottawa blocks our phone number after that offer.

They wouldn't do that offer even without the 2nd involved.
I don't believe that. No way they get a 4/5 defenseman signed to a decent contract and Bennett for a younger Hudler and a 2nd. They wouldn't get Bennett alone for Hoffman, especially at almost 5.2 million

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we find ourselves slipping well out of the playoff race, would you trade Hamilton for the "large chunk of futures" Yzerman has reported put up on the table?

Nope but I would do Hamonic for like Cirelli/Howden/Raddysh + first.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't understand the thread title. What does Dave Cameron have to do with trades exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad