Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I would give up one of our coveted d prospects for Domi. He has Turris 2.0 written all over him. A horrible team with a young guy who had a great rookie campaign and is now taking backwards steps. Sign me up, I know he's capable to be a lot more then we've seen this year.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Bruce Garrioch‏Verified account @SunGarrioch
FollowFollow @SunGarrioch
More
Two Calgary Flames scouts on the list at #Sens game today. They've been around Ottawa a lot the last two weeks. Have a nice Sunday.
3:20 PM - 4 Feb 2018

We seem to be very interested in someone from OTT. If it is Zach Smith I'll be upset, but again, Hoffman would be a great add. I just don't know how the cap would work going forward. TBH, I'm more interested in Domi if his asking price was one of our future dmen.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hoffman makes the most sense. Why are we scouting a 4th liner, in Zach Smith? The only thing is, I’m not sure we have the assets to land Hoffman.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Hoffman makes the most sense. Why are we scouting a 4th liner, in Zach Smith? The only thing is, I’m not sure we have the assets to land Hoffman.

Yeah, the idea of moving someone like Bennett for Hoffman is gonna burn us down the road imo. If they want defensive futures that's all we have to trade. Otherwise I'd rather stand pat at the TDL. If we acquire Smith...I'll be severely disappointed.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hoffman makes sense from a need perspective but makes zero sense in terms of the cost.

We are not close to good enough to waste anymore key assets chasing this year. Adding Hoffman to this team takes us from a maybe play-off team that needs luck to win a round to a maybe play-off team that needs luck to win a round.

I mean I guess if Ottawa is selling him cheap (which I doubt with how delusional that team seems to be) then sure but for a fair price it will cost more than we can afford to give up.

If it is Zack Smith and we keep GG all year then I think Treliving should be fired.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Hoffman makes sense from a need perspective but makes zero sense in terms of the cost.

We are not close to good enough to waste anymore key assets chasing this year. Adding Hoffman to this team takes us from a maybe play-off team that needs luck to win a round to a maybe play-off team that needs luck to win a round.

I mean I guess if Ottawa is selling him cheap (which I doubt with how delusional that team seems to be) then sure but for a fair price it will cost more than we can afford to give up.

If it is Zack Smith and we keep GG all year then I think Treliving should be fired.

Like I said, if they want any part of our core, then no. If they want some defensive prospects, then great, sign me up...Just say no to Smith

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I just can't believe that Brad Treliving, after getting torched by Brouwer and Bollig (to a lesser extent, but still an awful trade), goes out and gets Zach Smith.

Smith adds nothing the Flames need. We don't need toughness or bottom 6 players we need elite goal scoring.

I also don't see us getting Hoffman either, we don't have the assets unless all they want is defensive prospects, cause that's pretty much all we have.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Seems like most of us agree...If the price is a defensive prospect for a forward upgrade, great. Otherwise Tre should just stand pat at the deadline and let this team ride out the season. The last two games, even though the Tampa loss happened, have looked promising from a roster perspective. If Gully can stop making dumb decisions, I like our chance to make the playoffs...Even with zero roster moves.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Seems like most of us agree...If the price is a defensive prospect for a forward upgrade, great. Otherwise Tre should just stand pat at the deadline and let this team ride out the season. The last two games, even though the Tampa loss happened, have looked promising from a roster perspective. If Gully can stop making dumb decisions, I like our chance to make the playoffs...Even with zero roster moves.

I'm okay moving for a forward upgrade to the top six, not as a rental, whether it be re-signing or moving for a player with term.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I'm okay moving for a forward upgrade to the top six, not as a rental, whether it be re-signing or moving for a player with term.

The thing about upgrading the top 6 is that it also upgrades the bottom 6 because fro probably drops down to the third line. Third line needs a jump, big time. That’s also why I wouldn’t be opposed to buying cheap on a third line RW option like Leivo. Anything to try and get Bennett and Janko playing like they were a month ago

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009

Yes but the thing with Hoffman is that it's not just an add for this year. He has two years left after this one so it would be a long term add and would align with 2.5 year window this team has before big changes/decisions have to be made with 3 of our top 4 Dmen having their contracts expire at the same time (end of 2020 season).

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yes but the thing with Hoffman is that it's not just an add for this year. He has two years left after this one so it would be a long term add and would align with 2.5 year window this team has before big changes/decisions have to be made with 3 of our top 4 Dmen having their contracts expire at the same time (end of 2020 season).

I don't think in that 2 year time frame we are likely to be contending for anything so giving up our future likely just means we fall harder when this group starts to decline. Hoffman isn't close to a good enough player to make much of a difference.

I am fine with some futures moves but to add a ok, not great guy, I don't think it is worth after we already made those moves with Hamilton, Smith and Hamonic.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would give up one of our coveted d prospects for Domi. He has Turris 2.0 written all over him. A horrible team with a young guy who had a great rookie campaign and is now taking backwards steps. Sign me up, I know he's capable to be a lot more then we've seen this year.

Now if we only knew the bust we could trade him for on our team. Boy, that's got to be one of those terrible trades that gets overlooked. Kyle Turris for David Rundblad and a 2nd. The shitty part, is that the Flames were in on this trade until it broke down late. When Turris was traded, we were all like 'noooo, we have to keep the prospect pool!' Looking back... outside of Brodie, I'd have traded literally our entire prospect pool for Turris now; because it was garbage.

Let's repeat history. Oliver Kylington & Morgan Klimchuk for Domi :naughty:

Max would cost a small fortune.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This could be our TDL acquisition I guess. Having a RHS and a solid one timer, could help our PP if utilized properly.

That's a sad thought but likely better than overpaying for someone like Hoffman or getting a bad contract/bad guy like Smith or Kane.

But with us being a bubble team and already spending so many assets getting a guy that will actually help likely isn't a realistic possibility. Hockey trades rarely happen mid-season and I think that is the best way to improve the team.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The thing about upgrading the top 6 is that it also upgrades the bottom 6 because fro probably drops down to the third line. Third line needs a jump, big time. That’s also why I wouldn’t be opposed to buying cheap on a third line RW option like Leivo. Anything to try and get Bennett and Janko playing like they were a month ago

Absolutely. Alternatively knowing GG he won't want to split up the top six, but adding a top six player to our third line would make us that more dangerous for sure.

I did voice the idea of Leivo somewhere else as well, as it could be a good cheap one.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The best thing we can do is just stand pat and move Stone in the offseason to graduate Andersson. Treliving should hold off on the hockey trades and focus on re-signing Backlund first and foremost. If not possible, throw everything at Tavares

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
When Versteeg is back...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Versteeg
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer
Hathaway/Klimchuk

Send Hrivik and Mangiapane back down, recall Klimchuk for a bit and give him some time, even if it's just to get him in some practices and see how he does.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
quick question. Was Versteeg's hip bothering him from the start of the season? He seemed to struggle right out of the gate this year.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Treliving seemed to suggest as much when talking about Versteeg's injury.

If he can come back fully healthy, it could be a big boost to the 3rd line. One thing nobody can argue, Versteeg has a solid one timer and a nose for the net when he's motivated. It'd really help Janko and Bennett to have someone like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->