Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why not? We have years to replace that depth from drafting because our defence is locked in place for a while. I'd easily move Valimaki for the right return.

I actually think this is the right decision. It's a slippery slope when you start thinking this way, because if we're really trying to contend over the next few years, we're going to be tempted to dip into the first round a few times, and trade top prospects. It's good to keep a guy like that who will be pushing in a few years. If I'm Treliving, I'm looking at a time-line and trying to make sure that each position has one or two guys who are in the system timed to push through each year. That push from the bottom is what helps sustain a championship window. When the push from the bottom ceases, you end up in the Rangers' position.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I actually think this is the right decision. It's a slippery slope when you start thinking this way, because if we're really trying to contend over the next few years, we're going to be tempted to dip into the first round a few times, and trade top prospects. It's good to keep a guy like that who will be pushing in a few years. If I'm Treliving, I'm looking at a time-line and trying to make sure that each position has one or two guys who are in the system timed to push through each year. That push from the bottom is what helps sustain a championship window. When the push from the bottom ceases, you end up in the Rangers' position.

Yet what do we have in the system to solve our top 6 RW issues...nothing. We are in a position to trade from an area of serious strength, and outside of maybe some coaching changes to improve the PP, our lineup is one top 6 RW away from contending imo. I mean yes, it could backfire, but I feel that the risk right now is outweighed by the fact that we are becoming a solid team and should make a big push to contend in the next 2 years.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yet what do we have in the system to solve our top 6 RW issues...nothing. We are in a position to trade from an area of serious strength, and outside of maybe some coaching changes to improve the PP, our lineup is one top 6 RW away from contending imo. I mean yes, it could backfire, but I feel that the risk right now is outweighed by the fact that we are becoming a solid team and should make a big push to contend in the next 2 years.

Well what it looks like we're currently looking at is moving one of Gillies or Rittich to address RW. It's not that by saying no to trading Valimaki, we're necessarily saying no to acquiring a RW. With the goalie position, though, it's like we have 2-3 Valimakis instead of just one.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Well what it looks like we're currently looking at is moving one of Gillies or Rittich to address RW. It's not that by saying no to trading Valimaki, we're necessarily saying no to acquiring a RW. With the goalie position, though, it's like we have 2-3 Valimakis instead of just one.

one of those goalies alone isn't going to get you a whole lot. I'd try to package Kylington+Gillies and see how highly valued that package is. Looking at the ask from the sellers right now though, I'm not really holding my breath.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
one of those goalies alone isn't going to get you a whole lot. I'd try to package Kylington+Gillies and see how highly valued that package is. Looking at the ask from the sellers right now though, I'm not really holding my breath.

Probably, and I think that's reasonable. We have a few gamble defencemen- Fox and Kylington- who other teams might highly covet, but aren't as critical a loss for us. Package them with a stud goalie prospect, and we could be into someone of value. Besides that, though, I don't know how valuable a player we'd even be trying to target without a 1st rounder. Our biggest need is on the third line, not the first line.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Probably, and I think that's reasonable. We have a few gamble defencemen- Fox and Kylington- who other teams might highly covet, but aren't as critical a loss for us. Package them with a stud goalie prospect, and we could be into someone of value. Besides that, though, I don't know how valuable a player we'd even be trying to target without a 1st rounder. Our biggest need is on the third line, not the first line.

Which is why I look at Pageau, I would assume he'd come cheaper then what OTT fans are thinking. But I really have no idea apparently. I'd part with my above package for Pageau, he's having a rough season, but I know what he's capable of and think he'd fit really well on the 3rd line. He fits our age group, his cap hit is fine, and he's a RHS who can also sub in at center when needed.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I just went to check on how Valimaki has been playing since coming back and in last night's game he had one assist and 9 shots! I don't want to trade him, Fox or Andersson unless the price is really right. Hell I don't even really want to trade Kylington.

The only way I move one of them is for a top 6 winger or a young winger prospect of better pedigree.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Brodie, depending on the trade, maybe. Gio, HELL NO.
Gio is most likely untouchable for a couple more seasons but after that it’s probably a no brainer. Kulak is also part of the equation.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'd be OK with losing one or two of our top D prospects (or even Brodie) plus Gillies to get a legit youngish (<25) top 6 winger. My preferred scenario would have been to get that winger in the offseason with the assets we used to get Hamonic. Just don't trade any more draft picks away Brad.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Gio is most likely untouchable for a couple more seasons but after that it’s probably a no brainer. Kulak is also part of the equation.

Well of course I thought you were talking about this moment. There's no way to know how it'll be in two seasons.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Well of course I thought you were talking about this moment. There's no way to know how it'll be in two seasons.
Well if you’re asking me gio isn’t untouchable but to management he probably is... just like iggy was until he was 35

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Well if you’re asking me gio isn’t untouchable but to management he probably is... just like iggy was until he was 35

I'm not arguing whether Gio is untouchable or not. You said you'd rather trade Gio than Välimäki, which doesn't make any sense

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be OK with losing one or two of our top D prospects (or even Brodie) plus Gillies to get a legit youngish (<25) top 6 winger. My preferred scenario would have been to get that winger in the offseason with the assets we used to get Hamonic. Just don't trade any more draft picks away Brad.

I'm super lukewarm about moving most of our D prospects. I know you have to give to get... but man, there's some upside on a lot of these kids.
Andersson to me a surefire top 4 in the NHL with more potential upside. Valimaki to me is a big unknown, but the guy's a special player... I think he'll be a top 4 guy in the NHL too. Fox and Kylington are complete question marks, but their ceilings are too appealing to trade at this time. I mean, you'd hate to trade Fox on a 'meh' trade and have him become a Krug type guy somewhere else.

I'd be okay with Fox or Kylington if the return was an age appropriate player. Like a Reinhart type player.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I'm not arguing whether Gio is untouchable or not. You said you'd rather trade Gio than Välimäki, which doesn't make any sense
Yeah keeping the 20 year old instead of the 34 year old definitely doesn’t make sense.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah keeping the 20 year old instead of the 34 year old definitely doesn’t make sense.

Flames are looking to win, not to start rebuild. Gio is the absolute #1 D on this team. Välimäki looks good, but he's wont be playing in NHL for at least 2 seasons. Let alone having the impact on the team Gio is having now.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Flames are looking to win, not to start rebuild. Gio is the absolute #1 D on this team. Välimäki looks good, but he's wont be playing in NHL for at least 2 seasons. Let alone having the impact on the team Gio is having now.
I guess what I’m sayin is that whatever valimaki gets the flames is most likely not going to make me a believer. Look at the standings, just cause we don’t have a first doesn’t mean the flames are relegated to going for it all this year. Gio hasn’t been some unstoppable force for the last few years, he has had some really bad stretches. He’s arguably the most important flame, but The flames going all in right now is a bluff.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I guess what I’m sayin is that whatever valimaki gets the flames is most likely not going to make me a believer. Look at the standings, just cause we don’t have a first doesn’t mean the flames are relegated to going for it all this year. Gio hasn’t been some unstoppable force for the last few years, he has had some really bad stretches. He’s arguably the most important flame, but The flames going all in right now is a bluff.

You say whatever Välimäki gets is not going to make Flames contender, but still, trading Gio would be better? Gio might net better return, but trading him would make Flames worse overall.

And I'm not saying Flames are, or should be, going all in now, but you can look either short term or long term gain, and still trading Välimäki makes more sense than trading Gio.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
You say whatever Välimäki gets is not going to make Flames contender, but still, trading Gio would be better? Gio might net better return, but trading him would make Flames worse overall.

And I'm not saying Flames are, or should be, going all in now, but you can look either short term or long term gain, and still trading Välimäki makes more sense than trading Gio.
I am not a big fan of trading either, but recouping picks/ a good RW from a Gio trade and recalling Andersson might end up being a decent option.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
You don't trade Gio. When Monahan or Gaudreau are floating, Gio is there to sit them down and explain to them that some people had to crawl into this league, that he was playing better in Russia than they are now and still couldn't get a look. Gio is the soul of the Flames and the only guy I trust on the team to be accountable every night, as well as to hold others accountable.

Brodie should definitely be traded for a big return soon though to make room for Valimaki. If Hamonic returned a first and two seconds Brodie can get us a 1RW from the right team.

Last edited:

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I wonder if Gagner would be available for cheap. Only signed for two more years after this, and he would solve a lot of our PP and shootout problems. Not really a Burke player though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->