Speculation: Armchair GM thread: Hamonic frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't hate any of this... I doubt that's all it takes to get Dell but it's a nice looking lineup

Why would SJ wants to trade Dell?

and if they do, it's going to take more than 2 potential busts

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Does anyone remember back in the day when the Flames got both Steve Smith and Grant Fuhr? That was just weird and I didn't really know how to feel about that. It was hard to cheer for either of them for sure.

What? Steve Smith was an awesome pickup. #5 in your programs, #1 in your hearts. Long time Oiler killer. :sarcasm:

Fuhr was just a dumb pickup, and it was clear he gave zero ***** about playing here, and rightfully so. Should have gotten Turek instead as both cost a 3rd round pick.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If there is truth to the rumor that Johnson doesn't want back-up money, I would take a look at Condon

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Barring injury. Mike Smith should be able to carry 60 games a season. I might be one of those people who possibly has Rittich moving into the backup role. That being said, an early injury to Smith and the Flames' season is done (along with a fantastic lotto pick for 2018).

We have a lot of goalies and not enough space for them at this time. I'd want Parsons in the AHL, Gillies in the AHL. Parsons there for obvious reasons, this guy has the capability of backstopping an AHL team for 2 years and then making a seamless transition to the NHL. I wouldn't be opposed to Parsons in the ECHL for a season... but that more or less signifies that we're giving up on Mason :laugh:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Barring injury. Mike Smith should be able to carry 60 games a season. I might be one of those people who possibly has Rittich moving into the backup role. That being said, an early injury to Smith and the Flames' season is done (along with a fantastic lotto pick for 2018).

We have a lot of goalies and not enough space for them at this time. I'd want Parsons in the AHL, Gillies in the AHL. Parsons there for obvious reasons, this guy has the capability of backstopping an AHL team for 2 years and then making a seamless transition to the NHL. I wouldn't be opposed to Parsons in the ECHL for a season... but that more or less signifies that we're giving up on Mason :laugh:

Agreed. I've been thinking about this. I think Rittich may come up to receive mentorship from Smith. This also eases goalie log jam in the minors.

@MM: I think acquiring Dell for that price you mention is as plausible as Stone getting that 3x3 I hope for. :laugh: Fingers crossed we are both right.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Good looking lineup Meth. I wonder about getting Dell. Feel like he won't be given up easily.

Big pass of signing Grant.

Other than that I like pretty much all of that.
Grant is an AHL move as I expect injuries, the team needs a center better than Pribyl if the lose Janko to a call-up.

San Jose would have no incentive to give up Dell for that package after the year he had.

@MM: I think acquiring Dell for that price you mention is as plausible as Stone getting that 3x3 I hope for. :laugh: Fingers crossed we are both right.
To everyone regarding Dell. Yeah he had a good year, bit all year rumors persisted that the Sharks we're looking for a veteran backup and I think they may do that this summer. I think McDonald still has trade value as a young recently drafted goalie, Pollock doesn't have a ton of value but adding a 2nd rounder after 1 pro season isn't ever really a bad idea. If anything I thought that was an overpayment from the Flames.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
MM, I like most of the GM work you've done.

Although, I wouldn't sign iggy, and I'd buyout Bouma (penalty isn't bad over 2 years).

Sign Vrbata and re-up Versteeg, he was a great PP guy and a catalyst on a lot of nights.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Vrbata
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Lazar
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Smith
X

If you need more cap flexibility send Stajan off to someone like OTT for peanuts.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I really wouldn't mind Steeger back in the fold for this team. If he moves on, I think you give Sharp and Williams a long look.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

I really wouldn't mind Steeger back in the fold for this team. If he moves on, I think you give Sharp and Williams a long look.

I wouldn't mind Steeger back either.
As for Sharp, there's rumours that he's going back to the Hawks on a cheap 1 year deal.
I'd love to get Williams here but my guess is that he wants to stay out east close to his family.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Not the best news in terms of other teams being interested. But if he wants to remain close to home, we could still have an advantage. That, and we just brought in another big name to solidify us as a PO team for next year.

We just can't afford to pay him too much. I wouldn't go over 2.2, 2 years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
MM, I like most of the GM work you've done.

Although, I wouldn't sign iggy, and I'd buyout Bouma (penalty isn't bad over 2 years).

Sign Vrbata and re-up Versteeg, he was a great PP guy and a catalyst on a lot of nights.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Vrbata
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Lazar
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Smith
X

If you need more cap flexibility send Stajan off to someone like OTT for peanuts.

I just bury Bouma in the minors.
Reduce the cap-hit to 1.3; he can provide veteran leadership down there. Don't have to worry about the 700k next year. Could be a call-up if needed for injury.

Worst case scenario is someone steps up and claims him on waivers. I really doubt anyone would though.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I just bury Bouma in the minors.
Reduce the cap-hit to 1.3; he can provide veteran leadership down there. Don't have to worry about the 700k next year. Could be a call-up if needed for injury.

Worst case scenario is someone steps up and claims him on waivers. I really doubt anyone would though.

I definitely think there's a better chance of that happening than with some of the guys we've waived recently (barring one obvious exception). Bouma is an above-average fourth liner, good chance someone out there would want to add that sort of depth.

Even if we lost him though I couldn't really claim to be crushed, gets us out of a bad contract.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I definitely think there's a better chance of that happening than with some of the guys we've waived recently (barring one obvious exception). Bouma is an above-average fourth liner, good chance someone out there would want to add that sort of depth.

Even if we lost him though I couldn't really claim to be crushed, gets us out of a bad contract.

When not playing with Backlund, who, let's face it, makes everyone he plays with a lot better:
226 Games, 11 goals, 22 assists; (averaging about -4% CF%Rel over the past 4 seasons) that's pretty average/below-average 4th line production.

Let's not pretend he's a Matt Stajan or something, who is an above average 4th liner (in the same amount of games over the past three seasons is almost doubling his point totals and has good possession numbers).

Honestly not having Bouma on this team opens up a slot for some more competition, and youth to move up. Also gets rid of 1/2 of our most egregious possession players in one off-season :laugh:

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
When not playing with Backlund, who, let's face it, makes everyone he plays with a lot better:
226 Games, 11 goals, 22 assists; (averaging about -4% CF%Rel over the past 4 seasons) that's pretty average/below-average 4th line production.

Let's not pretend he's a Matt Stajan or something, who is an above average 4th liner (in the same amount of games over the past three seasons is almost doubling his point totals and has good possession numbers).

Honestly not having Bouma on this team opens up a slot for some more competition, and youth to move up. Also gets rid of 1/2 of our most egregious possession players in one off-season :laugh:

His production is average for a fourth liner, yeah. But how many fourth liners league-wide are trusted on their teams' PK or fearlessly block the same amount of shots as Bouma?

I don't think he's a good player but I'd take him above half the fourth liners in the league for sure, and I bet at least one GM would feel the same way.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
His production is average for a fourth liner, yeah. But how many fourth liners league-wide are trusted on their teams' PK or fearlessly block the same amount of shots as Bouma?

I don't think he's a good player but I'd take him above half the fourth liners in the league for sure, and I bet at least one GM would feel the same way.

Statistically he was our worst PK'er along with Brouwer. Just because someone lays down in front of a howitzer doesn't make him a good PK'er. Just because he's out there, doesn't mean too much. As the year progressed even Gully went away from Bouma on the PK; and instead went with Bennett/Chiasson who were much more effective.

I agree, compared to most 4th liners, he might have some more value... but the 2.2 million contact reduces that significantly.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Statistically he was our worst PK'er along with Brouwer. Just because someone lays down in front of a howitzer doesn't make him a good PK'er. Just because he's out there, doesn't mean too much. As the year progressed even Gully went away from Bouma on the PK; and instead went with Bennett/Chiasson who were much more effective.

I agree, compared to most 4th liners, he might have some more value... but the 2.2 million contact reduces that significantly.

He doesn't have the defensive acumen to be a top PKer, sure, but how many fourth liners are? My point is just relative to where he slots in on a depth chart, the guy has a tonne of value, not that he's objectively a valuable or good player. Like I said, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he were to get claimed.

But I think the bolded is probably the biggest argument against a team picking him up, although I could easily see someone like Vegas or AZ or another team who has budget to spare deciding he was a good fit.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Bouma is an average 4th liner but also an above average PKer for a 4th liner. Fantastic when healthy, but often is injured and for obvious reasons, is awful when injured.

I think Stajan is a 3C with the potential to sit as high as 2nd line winger.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
If we were to waive Bouma I'd be really curious to see Mangiapane as the fourth line left wing.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If we were to waive Bouma I'd be really curious to see Mangiapane as the fourth line left wing.

Klimchuk or Lomberg deserve it more IMO. Mangiapane could use more seasoning. No need to rush him.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Bouma has one year left and some one would have to replace him, there would be no savings. Absolute worst case, we buy him out and have dead cap for 2 years....that's stupid. We send him down and there's only enough cap to replace him with an inexperienced rookie. In all honesty, if Bouma, in his very limited 4th line role, is the difference between winning and losing, then this team has much bigger problems.

I've been playing around with the buyout calculator and it seems like our best option for Brouwer would be retaining salary. We can retain up to 33% and still only be paying as much as a buyout, for the length of the contract, instead of 6 years. A $3 million Brouwer might even be appealing to someone

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Why buy out Bouma when there's teams like Arizona that will struggle to reach the cap floor? If we're really intent on moving on from his contract that I'm sure we could do work something out with them

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Klimchuk or Lomberg deserve it more IMO. Mangiapane could use more seasoning. No need to rush him.

Lomberg I could definitely get behind, Klimchuk I don't think is close enough to his potential yet to fast track his development in the NHL.

Ryan Lomberg wearing Flames silks and busting heads would be awesome though, I'm sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad