Speculation: Armchair GM thread: Hamonic frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Well the other thread is nearly at 1,000 capacity. So I decided to start the new thread. Post whatever you like in regards to the topic, but it'll be more amazing and everyone who posts specifically about expansion draft and the actual upcoming 2017 draft will get a cookie.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
but it'll be more amazing and everyone who posts specifically about expansion draft and the actual upcoming 2017 draft will get a cookie.

Isn't there already a thread for the 2017 draft tho

Regarding the upcoming expansion draft, I feel like we're in a good position. I don't think we'll lose someone tootoo important. I know we'll probably (99% sure) protect Lazar but I wonder if he was exposed, would he even be picked? I think Stajan, Karuky monster and kulak would be better options for Vegas tbh, and that way we could keep Brouwer.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Isn't there already a thread for the 2017 draft tho

Regarding the upcoming expansion draft, I feel like we're in a good position. I don't think we'll lose someone tootoo important. I know we'll probably (99% sure) protect Lazar but I wonder if he was exposed, would he even be picked? I think Stajan, Karuky monster and kulak would be better options for Vegas tbh, and that way we could keep Brouwer.

Lazar won't be exposed after they dealt a 2nd for him. IF he was exposed, they'd arrange a deal with Vegas for them to not take him. I'd be shocked if the protected forwards aren't Gaudreau/Backlund/Monahan/Bennett/Frolik/Ferland/Lazar.

I think the Flames lose one of Stajan, Shinkaruk, or Kulak, and I think McPhee would lean towards Kulak/Shinkaruk.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I kinda hope we don't lose Shink. I think he might be ready next season.

Being perfectly honest, if I was Vegas' GM, Shinkaruk or Chiassion would be my pick from Calgary. Shink adds to prospect depth, a guy who might have some more upside; yet you might be able to pass him through waivers as well (I think he's eligible this year?). Chiasson is a good bottom 6 winger, like, all you can ask from a bottom 6 RW.

Your other four-five forward options from Calgary are either overpaid vets or useless (or both, Brouwer, Bouma).

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Being perfectly honest, if I was Vegas' GM, Shinkaruk or Chiassion would be my pick from Calgary. Shink adds to prospect depth, a guy who might have some more upside; yet you might be able to pass him through waivers as well (I think he's eligible this year?). Chiasson is a good bottom 6 winger, like, all you can ask from a bottom 6 RW.

Your other four-five forward options from Calgary are either overpaid vets or useless (or both, Brouwer, Bouma).

Yeah my guess is they take Chiasson or Kulak.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'd think Kulak, but the problem is, Vegas will have 7+ top 4D to pick from, including some with some good ceilings (Minny).

Thing is, D always have value in trades. If there's one position I would load up on if I'm McPhee, it's defencemen.

I also wouldn't take any big money/poor contracts unless someone paid me. Ie Flames trade 2018 second, Vegas selects Brouwer.

To me, that's a no brainer for Calgary a) you get rid of Brouwer contract. B) you get to hold onto Kulak who could end up having a better career then anyone we've drafted in the second round for a decade.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If I am Vegas and i am looking at Kulak VS such enticing options as Alex Chiasson, Troy Brouwer, Matt Stajan, Hunter Shinkaruk, Freddie Hamilton, Lance Bouma and Emile Poirier I ask myself this:

Which Flames player could actually be an NHL Golden Knight in three years?

Well that eliminates pending UFA Stajan who also doesn't fit age-wise.
Shinkaruk is more likely to be in Sweden than the NHL.
Brouwer may not even be an NHLer right now and is an awful contract to take on without incentive.
Bouma...nuff said.
Chiasson's ceiling is a 4th liner who can step onto 3rd line and not embarass himself.
Familton is basically a Chiasson that can't seem to get into a darn hockey game.
Poirier has huge red flags of his own although there is definitely something there that could be honed in 3 years.
Brett Kulak is on a very normal and steady track to be a top four defenseman in 3 years. No red flags, other a low NHL on-ice shooting percentage. Even if he maxes out as the 5 he already is he could be flipped tomorrow to someone that likes him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's your opinion. Guy is going to be the next Ferland (mid round pick that make all his doubters on here look stupid)

I like Kulak, but Vegas could virtually pick about 8-10 #4's off of other teams. While Kulak is a good player, when you look around the league he's really nothing that special in the eyes of others because so many teams already have that caliber of guy or better. In another year, it might be a totally different conversation and Kulak might look like an amazing steal for someone in an hypothetical expansion draft. As of today though, I don't see him as being that enticing to claim.

I also do not think Kulak has Brodie's ceiling who's he often compared to. And I pumped Brodie's tires more than anyone on here when he was Kulaks age. He's a nice player, I think he has #4 or 5 upside, but he absolutely has limitations to his game.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I like Kulak, but Vegas could virtually pick about 8-10 #4's off of other teams. While Kulak is a good player, when you look around the league he's really nothing that special in the eyes of others because so many teams already have that caliber of guy or better. In another year, it might be totally different conversation and Kulak might look like an amazing steal for someone in an hypothetical expansion draft. As of today though, I don't see him as being that enticing to claim.

I also do not think Kulak has Brodie's ceiling who's he often compared to. And I pumped Brodie's tires more than anyone on here when he was Kulaks age. He's a nice player, I think he has #4 or 5 upside, but he absolutely has limitations to his game.

I disagree. I think the comment 'every team has a prospect like him' is a complete myth. But that's because I'm high on Kulak and have been for 3 seasons. Looking around the AHL there aren't that many #1D that are under the age of 25... but it's pointless to argue about what Kulak could become. That said, to me, he's a poor mans TJ Brodie who was miles ahead of Gio at the same age... I expect him to be a 3/4 but I won't be surprised if in 3 or 4 years he's a top pair guy.

But more importantly, D just have higher value, like I said. If im McPhee I stockpile D and then trade them off for picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I like Kulak, but Vegas could virtually pick about 8-10 #4's off of other teams. While Kulak is a good player, when you look around the league he's really nothing that special in the eyes of others because so many teams already have that caliber of guy or better. In another year, it might be totally different conversation and Kulak might look like an amazing steal for someone in an hypothetical expansion draft. As of today though, I don't see him as being that enticing to claim.

I also do think Kulak has Brodie's ceiling who's he often compared to. And I pumped Brodie's tires more than anyone on here when he was Kulaks age. He's a nice player, I think he has #4 or 5 upside, but he absolutely has limitations to his game.
Kulak as top pairing potential like Klimchuk is slow. It's a figment of his imagination.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Shinkaruk's chances of making the NHL on a team with their entire roster RHS, has players entirely different than Shinkaruk, and is fighting for a top 5 pick is basically tiny. That's all that needs to be said.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I disagree. I think the comment 'every team has a prospect like him' is a complete myth. But that's because I'm high on Kulak and have been for 3 seasons. Looking around the AHL there aren't that many #1D that are under the age of 25... but it's pointless to argue about what Kulak could become. That said, to me, he's a poor mans TJ Brodie who was miles ahead of Gio at the same age... I expect him to be a 3/4 but I won't be surprised if in 3 or 4 years he's a top pair guy.

But more importantly, D just have higher value, like I said. If im McPhee I stockpile D and then trade them off for picks.

But let's say Vegas can claim 8-10 #4 dmen, why would they take a guy who "might" be that instead of just getting the known commodity? I know you like him, but you're also a lot more familiar with him. Looking around the league, they are probably much better options than a "guy who's struggled to be a regular NHL player to this point", because that's how he's going to be perceived by Vegas.

I also edited your post above as I edited mine, in regards to my comment comparing him to Brodie.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
But let's say Vegas can claim 8-10 #4 dmen, why would they take a guy who "might" be that instead of just getting the known commodity?

Age would be one factor. A 29-30 year old #4 might not be someone in their long term plans, but could be flipped immediately for draft picks or other such valuable assets. A 23 year old Kulak could fit better in their organization just in time to grow into a 26 year old stud as their overall team becomes competitive.

I don't think there are that many expansion-eligible defensemen with Kulak's overall ability level, who aren't also a lot older. Of course all teams will expose some fringe D prospects - Wotherspoon types - but how many are exposing complete players like Kulak? I don't think Vegas is too concerned with building a competitive veteran roster out of the expansion draft. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that in the 23-25 year old age range, Kulak is one of the six to eight best options especially considering some of those teams might be exposing a forward or goalie who is better. Anyone 26-28 who is exposed is probably not as good as Kulak's ceiling.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
But let's say Vegas can claim 8-10 #4 dmen, why would they take a guy who "might" be that instead of just getting the known commodity? I know you like him, but you're also a lot more familiar with him. Looking around the league, they are probably much better options than a "guy who's struggled to be a regular NHL player to this point", because that's how he's going to be perceived by Vegas.

I also edited your post above as I edited mine, in regards to my comment comparing him to Brodie.

I don't disagree. There will definitely be better players than Kulak right now. But my main point is that Vegas should pick as many d-men as they can (I think they are allowed like 10?) I guarantee if they pick Kulak they could trade him back to us for Shinkaruk and a pick. Or to another team for a pick/prospect.

When i look at Calgarys list I see a whole lot of meh outside Kulak. So unless Calgary gives a pick to take Brouwer, I think Kulak is a goner.

I could see Chiasson because he has a bit of value at the deadline. And his low $ value might allow them to take more money elsewhere. But that's about it imo. I think the Stajan, Bouma, Brouwer scenarios are hopeful at best.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Yeah, I count easily more than 8 guys who are better players than him, and that I don't see him passing.

That said, all that matters is how much Vegas likes him. I would be mildly surprised if he is picked, but we also don't really know who Vegas values.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if he is taken. Hopefully his fanboys follow him to Vegas too.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'll be pleasantly surprised if he is taken. Hopefully his fanboys follow him to Vegas too.

Lol coming from the Bollig, Bouma, Brouwer, Klimchuk fanboy.

You know who else is a fan boy? Loubardias, Gulutzan, Wills... But once again you prove you know nothing about prospects (you said Kulak was at best a second pairing AHL D at the start of the year for example) but are willing to condescend anyone who disagrees with you.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Lol coming from the Bollig, Bouma, Brouwer, Klimchuk fanboy.

You know who else is a fan boy? Loubardias, Gulutzan, Wills... But once again you prove you know nothing about prospects (you said Kulak was at best a second pairing AHL D at the start of the year for example) but are willing to condescend anyone who disagrees with you.
Defending players =/= fanboy. The fact you can't distinguish that difference is not surprising to me at all.

I have no issue admitting Kulak played better than I expected, it happens. But considering your history of outright fabricating things to put down prospects, you should really not talk, at least I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

Kulak could be a good 3rd pairing defenseman, but he is not solid enough defensively or physically and doesn't have the puck skills to make up for those deficiencies, let alone a top pairing defenseman. Me praising Klimchuk, was saying he was better than Poirier and Klimchuk has done nothing but prove me right. But unlike you I'm not going to make stupid statements like he has 1st line potential, I've stated he has middle 6 potential from the get go, and that is exactly what he is trending to do.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I still think (convincing myself) they take Brouwer.

If the rumors (and they're a lot of them) are true that Fleury will be McPhee's selection from Pittsburgh, that really reenforces the idea that they're at least going to try and be competitive from the onset. And given McPhee's history with Brouwer, all the more likely he wants that veteran presence in the lockerroom.

I would be surprised if they took Shinkaruk. They can have him for a nominal fee when the Flames waive him next October.

Kulak would be a surprise too. They're a ton of better defencemen available. And he's also an RFA which works against him. Also wouldn't be surprised if the Flames being the Flames waive him too next season.

Edit: maybe we need an expansion draft thread

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->