Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Well if Bennett proves he is more than a bottom 6 player and continues to beast out in the playoffs i can see him staying. Upgrading on Nordstrom isn't knee jerk imo as we are almost 20% into the season.
Ya, I just don't see it, sorry. Pursuing these guys and then abandoning them 10 games into the season just doesn't seem like something Tre would do.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Ya, I just don't see it, sorry. Pursuing these guys and then abandoning them 10 games into the season just doesn't seem like something Tre would do.
I agree trev won't make a move even when we need one.

I wouldn't say we were pursuing a guy like Nordstrom we most likely were the only team willing to give him a chance.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The Flames penalty kill can't exactly afford to lose Nordstrom. The Flames have multiple wingers who CAN kill penalties but they have not proven to be able to log the big minutes that Nordstrom does. Nordstrom is the only winger with >2 minutes on the PK per game with the Flames. Mangiapane is 2nd with 1:19. Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Dube, Leivo, Lucic, and Simon do not see any form of significant pp time (below 11 seconds for each of them. Bennett is 3rd with 42 seconds a game. While Nordstrom's 5v5 play leaves a lot to be desired, sitting Nordstrom for someone who cannot kill penalties after we already lost Ryan who was huge in killing penalties.

If you want to elevate Tkachuk or Gaudreau into a PK role then you lose out on double-shifting them with the 4th line as was done yesterday. If you move Monahan onto the PK you now don't have a big 'power line' to go to after a PK like Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk BECAUSE of how hard those minutes are. None of the options are proven and have eaten those big minutes. It makes the most sense to give Nordstrom his 7 minutes a game in a limited spot with the likes of Leivo, Froese, and Simon cycling in around him on that 4th line seems reasonable to me. In all honesty the penalties he takes are what holds him back from being super effective, because other than that he brings a good skillset for a 4th liner. Speed, gets in on the forecheck, can kill penalties. The bigger issue is when he is elevated to playing 4 on 4 agianst top lines or when he's put onto the top line. If he gets a shift here or there and can kill penalties effectively then there's no reason not to have him. Maybe sit him in a game against Ottawa with their bad powerplay, but against Winnipeg, Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal and their strong PP's, he needs to be in the lineup to open up others in the lineup.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

These are starting to look more like ideal lines for me. Once Ryan is back there's more confidence in Simon getting in over Nordstrom but that PK aspect is hard to ignore. Like seeing Leivo back in--sitting him for three shifts on Rinaldo still doesn't make sense to me. Still would like to see him get some ice time but hard to mess with the chemsitry of the Saturday game assuming they don't come out flat against the Jets tomorrow. Hard to argue against the merit of the lines at the very least.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

These are starting to look more like ideal lines for me. Once Ryan is back there's more confidence in Simon getting in over Nordstrom but that PK aspect is hard to ignore. Like seeing Leivo back in--sitting him for three shifts on Rinaldo still doesn't make sense to me. Still would like to see him get some ice time but hard to mess with the chemsitry of the Saturday game assuming they don't come out flat against the Jets tomorrow. Hard to argue against the merit of the lines at the very least.

So basically we're going with 3 fwd lines for most of the game with the 4th line basically being place holders on the bench if the game is close.
I just don't understand why Gawdin and Phillips weren't called up at the beginning of the season. Its not like they're currently playing huge minutes for the Heat... LOL.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
So basically we're going with 3 fwd lines for most of the game with the 4th line basically being place holders on the bench if the game is close.
I just don't understand why Gawdin and Phillips weren't called up at the beginning of the season. Its not like they're currently playing huge minutes for the Heat... LOL.
I'd figure it had something to do with taxi squad restrictions but I'm not sure how much sense it makes. They'd be playing AHL anyways, is Rinaldo not allowed to be on the Heat and around the team if they aren't even playing? Doesn't make a lot of sense to keep placeholders in the lineup instead of trying to get Gawdin up with the team--especially against a struggling Vancouver on the horizon. Playing them or Ottawa are the ideal situations to have Zary/Gawdin/Ruzicka come in and play

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
I think we should target Oliver Bjorkstrand from CBJ. Seems to be getting less time since Laine's arrival and may be expendable. Something around Benny +?

Fills a huge hole at RW.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think we should target Oliver Bjorkstrand from CBJ. Seems to be getting less time since Laine's arrival and may be expendable. Something around Benny +?

What is the +?

Depends on who you talk to, the plus may be bigger than Bennett

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
What is the +?

Depends on who you talk to, the plus may be bigger than Bennett
Some Columbus fans on the trade boards were saying they wouldn't trade Bjorkstrand for Gaudreau and Monahan. Of coures that's classic fan posturing to say that they'd never trade someone, but it shows just how big that + would have to be since Jarmo clearly seems him as a very valuable piece. Bjorkstrand, even at a reduced level of production, is an extremely valuable player to them that would take a lot more than Bennett.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't think Columbus is in a position to trade a guy who wants to be there and has already signed an extension. If I was them I wouldn't trade him for Gaudreau either if you aren't sure Gaudreau would stay.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
I don't think Columbus is in a position to trade a guy who wants to be there and has already signed an extension. If I was them I wouldn't trade him for Gaudreau either if you aren't sure Gaudreau would stay.
If Torts continues to play him 13-15 mins a night and not on the first power play I can see him becoming disgruntled quite quickly. Doesn't seem to take much in CBJ. I would be open to something around Benny + Zary or Pell. Dude's a stud and fits a huge hole. Rakell also a good target but worth monitoring the situation. I think Bjork has more in him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If Torts continues to play him 13-15 mins a night and not on the first power play I can see him becoming disgruntled quite quickly. Doesn't seem to take much in CBJ. I would be open to something around Benny + Zary or Pell. Dude's a stud and fits a huge hole. Rakell also a good target but worth monitoring the situation. I think Bjork has more in him.
I'm not arguing we couldn't use him but I feel like Columbus will do anything to avoid moving him. They can't keep bleeding talent.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yes. We really should try and get Rakell. We need to add to the Swedish Mafia we have going on here.

If it's that straight forward to get him, absolutely.

Crazy idea though....

For some odd reason, I feel like Treliving should circle around Pacioretty and Laine right away. Weird gut feeling that now is a good way to try and poke something through. CBJ is doing great with Roslovic, but not Laine. Jarmo might be interested in guys who will pop with a change of scenery and/or an expanded role. Lots of guys in our bottom 6 are kinda like this. Mainly Bennett. While I want to keep Bennett, if it's a win for everyone (Bennett included) and we target a superstar or a star winger to finally fix that damn RW hole... I think it's worth considering.

One nice thing about Ward even though you guys get mad at it is that he's a players coach. If he can coax Lucic into being serviceable and rekindle his joy for the game, I imagine if he can do the same to Laine and convince him to stay with the Flames and stick it to the Jets in the North Division. I think we could in theory do the same with Patches vs Montreal/TML to address the big guys in the div as a plan B/C idea.

Obviously one is better than the other and the price will heavily reflect that, but somehow I think they're a good fit. It won't be easy to pry those guys and fit them in though if we are heavily futures based in the trade. But I think we have a bunch of guys we can sell high in a quantity for quality trade for expansion purposes. I think we could afford to pull up around 3-4 guys from the farm and roll a heavier top 9 and top 4 if needed to make the deal work.

This season might not be the worst season to do a quantity for quality trade and cash out most of our depth, then do a temporary retool to burst out stronger in the next season. I actually don't fully mind Ward being the guy who fine tunes the competing roster once we set up a roster to go. Heck, maybe after such a trade, we compete anyways. I dunno.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If it's that straight forward to get him, absolutely.

Crazy idea though....

For some odd reason, I feel like Treliving should circle around Pacioretty and Laine right away. Weird gut feeling that now is a good way to try and poke something through. CBJ is doing great with Roslovic, but not Laine. Jarmo might be interested in guys who will pop with a change of scenery and/or an expanded role. Lots of guys in our bottom 6 are kinda like this. Mainly Bennett. While I want to keep Bennett, if it's a win for everyone (Bennett included) and we target a superstar or a star winger to finally fix that damn RW hole... I think it's worth considering.

One nice thing about Ward even though you guys get mad at it is that he's a players coach. If he can coax Lucic into being serviceable and rekindle his joy for the game, I imagine if he can do the same to Laine and convince him to stay with the Flames and stick it to the Jets in the North Division. I think we could in theory do the same with Patches vs Montreal/TML to address the big guys in the div as a plan B/C idea.

Obviously one is better than the other and the price will heavily reflect that, but somehow I think they're a good fit. It won't be easy to pry those guys and fit them in though if we are heavily futures based in the trade. But I think we have a bunch of guys we can sell high in a quantity for quality trade for expansion purposes. I think we could afford to pull up around 3-4 guys from the farm and roll a heavier top 9 and top 4 if needed to make the deal work.

This season might not be the worst season to do a quantity for quality trade and cash out most of our depth, then do a temporary retool to burst out stronger in the next season. I actually don't fully mind Ward being the guy who fine tunes the competing roster once we set up a roster to go. Heck, maybe after such a trade, we compete anyways. I dunno.
I don't see Jarmo considering a quality for quantity trade. Laine would be the last player Tre would ever consider. A one dimensional player, with questionable work ethic, is the absolute last thing this team needs, especially given the cost to aquire.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't see Jarmo considering a quality for quantity trade. Laine would be the last player Tre would ever consider. A one dimensional player, with questionable work ethic, is the absolute last thing this team needs, especially given the cost to aquire.

Laine's price is fast dropping if he's going to languish under Torts. It's not in Jarmo's interest to degrade it further if there's an immediate issue (not a slow to get comfortable issue) with integrating him in CBJ.

Flames need a RW badly. I don't think Laine is as big of a problem child as some are saying. I think he just landed in rooms with a guidance that wasn't his style. He's got loads of talent, but his attitude is the reclamation project because he's kinda burnt out and perhaps ostracized by leadership (ie: Wheeler comments).

I think we have a strong room that would work great to mesh with his personality as well as inspire him to be better/have fun again/put in extra effort to support his teammates. Lucic commented that the Flames locker room is one of the tightest he's ever been in, even on par with Boston. Laine has only ever known a seemingly fractured on in Winnipeg and the Torts situation I think might keep him from ever properly integrating in CBJ. The crazy thing is that even with his questionable work ethic, he is still putting up goals. Put him with JG and Mony and when that line disappears for a few games at a time, it's no different than normal when we saddled them with 3rd and 4th liners. The difference is when they bounce back, it'll be with a vengeance.

The attitude thing can't be worse than Neal and Smith, right? Bill Peters?

Lucic was inspired to do better after joining our group. Hanifin kept doing his thing selfishly trading defense for offense until he saw our group trying to play the right way and decided to emulate it. Hopefully we could inspire someone like Laine to do that if we attempted to acquire a guy like that.

Treliving would probably have to do a ton of discussions and interviews with Laine. I wouldn't be opposed to gifting him the 1RW position on the condition that he consider bringing a bit of defensive game to his role like Gaudreau is.

But... this is kinda all fantasy. I'd love Laine, but he's probably not available. I'm merely saying that I think we have a good enough room with a higher chance to reclaim his attitude.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Laine's price is fast dropping if he's going to languish under Torts. It's not in Jarmo's interest to degrade it further if there's an immediate issue (not a slow to get comfortable issue) with integrating him in CBJ.

Flames need a RW badly. I don't think Laine is as big of a problem child as some are saying. I think he just landed in rooms with a guidance that wasn't his style. He's got loads of talent, but his attitude is the reclamation project because he's kinda burnt out and perhaps ostracized by leadership (ie: Wheeler comments).

I think we have a strong room that would work great to mesh with his personality as well as inspire him to be better/have fun again/put in extra effort to support his teammates. Lucic commented that the Flames locker room is one of the tightest he's ever been in, even on par with Boston. Laine has only ever known a seemingly fractured on in Winnipeg and the Torts situation I think might keep him from ever properly integrating in CBJ. The crazy thing is that even with his questionable work ethic, he is still putting up goals. Put him with JG and Mony and when that line disappears for a few games at a time, it's no different than normal when we saddled them with 3rd and 4th liners. The difference is when they bounce back, it'll be with a vengeance.

The attitude thing can't be worse than Neal and Smith, right? Bill Peters?

Lucic was inspired to do better after joining our group. Hanifin kept doing his thing selfishly trading defense for offense until he saw our group trying to play the right way and decided to emulate it. Hopefully we could inspire someone like Laine to do that if we attempted to acquire a guy like that.

Treliving would probably have to do a ton of discussions and interviews with Laine. I wouldn't be opposed to gifting him the 1RW position on the condition that he consider bringing a bit of defensive game to his role like Gaudreau is.

But... this is kinda all fantasy. I'd love Laine, but he's probably not available. I'm merely saying that I think we have a good enough room with a higher chance to reclaim his attitude.
Laine would cost Gaudreau or Tkachuk. That doesn't make us a better team. Hes actually a right shot LW. I wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad