Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I see a lot of Flames fans on CP and Twitter and stuff saying Monahan made big strides defensively this season and I sure didn't see it lol the stats didnt either.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I am also really tired of Rangers fans thinking that an expendable DeAngelo + Buch package is doing us a favour just because they're desperate to fill their crater-sized hole in the top 6.

It's like if we said to give us Panarin for Dube and Hanifin

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I am also really tired of Rangers fans thinking that an expendable DeAngelo + Buch package is doing us a favour just because they want to fill their crater-sized hole in the top 6.
You mean DeAngelo straight up for Lindholm isn't fair? Or that Domi for Gaudreau isn't fair?

Honestly same. Some teams insistence that their trash is our treasure is frustrating, especially when they push the envelope, get upset it doesn't work, and end up just trying to insult Flames players instead of argue value because they know their bargain bin group isn't working.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I see a lot of Flames fans on CP and Twitter and stuff saying Monahan made big strides defensively this season and I sure didn't see it lol the stats didnt either.

He did though. No one scored on them in the playoffs either (for most of the games).

Reactions: Nanuuk

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I feel like it’s almost a forgone conclusion that either Johnny or Mony will be dealt this off-season. I think Tkachuk, Lindholm and Backlund are not moving and neither is Rasmus or Valimaki.

We could use an upgrade at C, RW, RHD and in net. Massive change coming this off-season.

Also I love Bennett.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I feel like it’s almost a forgone conclusion that either Johnny or Mony will be dealt this off-season. I think Tkachuk, Lindholm and Backlund are not moving and neither is Rasmus or Valimaki.

We could use an upgrade at C, RW, RHD and in net. Massive change coming this off-season.

Also I love Bennett.

I rather move Backlund over Monahan. Also Johnny if the return is good to great...

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I would to, especially looking at their money. But I feel like management views Backlund a lot like Lindholm.

in a perfect world we don’t move any Cs I it unless it’s for a great upgrade a la Eichel.

I like Backlund a lot but he’s going to be 32. The 5.5yr difference between him and Mony is a huge factor imo. We can’t move Monahan unless the upgrade part happens.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
in a perfect world we don’t move any Cs I it unless it’s for a great upgrade a la Eichel.

I like Backlund a lot but he’s going to be 32. The 5.5yr difference between him and Mony is a huge factor imo. We can’t move Monahan unless the upgrade part happens.

Honestly Backs might be a decent candidate to move, but I don’t think it happens. Bennett can probably do his job just fine. Get 5.5 off the books, and fill holes elsewhere.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I laughed pretty hard at Craig Button on TSN today proclaiming that we need a better goalie if we want any hope of progressing past the first round

Now, yes, we do need some stability in net. That's not wrong. But Talbot was really good most of these playoffs, and Smith was great in the Colorado series last season. And Button was making it out to sound like goaltending was why we didn't win those two series in particular

That's why you're the former GM Craig

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I laughed pretty hard at Craig Button on TSN today proclaiming that we need a better goalie if we want any hope of progressing past the first round

Now, yes, we do need some stability in net. That's not wrong. But Talbot was really good most of these playoffs, and Smith was great in the Colorado series last season. And Button was making it out to sound like goaltending was why we didn't win those two series in particular

Talbot and Smith were both more unremarkable than strong in both series. They both faced a lot of shots but mostly from the outside and got beat by a lot of perimeter junk. We didn't lose either series due tongoaltending, but our goalies failed to outright steal any games either.

But what we need is Bennett @ 1C tbqh

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

I didn't watch it but...he isn't wrong...if we do not change the players then we need a way better goalie. We lost the series because the players didn't show up if that continues we need more than a goalie that plays really good and doesn't lose the series we need the goalies to be unreal and win the series because the players aren't getting it done.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I didn't watch it but...he isn't wrong...if we do not change the players then we need a way better goalie. We lost the series because the players didn't show up if that continues we need more than a goalie that plays really good and doesn't lose the series we need the goalies to be unreal and win the series because the players aren't getting it done.

If he's right, he's making an asinine point anyway. The Flames obviously don't plan on building around getting their teeth kicked in on possession in the playoffs.

You just need to look at Montreal to see that there's diminishing returns when it comes to improving goaltending.

That said, maybe Button is like me and he's still salty about our goalies throwing away our best game of the playoffs in Game 6.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If he's right, he's making an asinine point anyway. The Flames obviously don't plan on building around getting their teeth kicked in on possession in the playoffs.

You just need to look at Montreal to see that there's diminishing returns when it comes to improving goaltending.

That said, maybe Button is like me and he's still salty about our goalies throwing away our best game of the playoffs in Game 6.

I think there's some value in consistency in net in terms of not having turnover year after year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad