Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Laine isn't worth either Chucky or Gaudreau to this team

I wouldn't be too upset with Laine for Johnny or Tkachuk deal. Especially Johnny before he walks for free.

Tkachuk, I have some reservation but he looked good maybe one game this year

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I wouldn't be too upset with Laine for Johnny or Tkachuk deal. Especially Johnny before he walks for free.

Tkachuk, I have some reservation but he looked good maybe one game this year

Agreed Chucky needs to step it up. I'm just not convinced Laine is the right guy to build this team around given the size of contract he will want.

Reactions: Mazatt and DFF

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Laine would cost Gaudreau or Tkachuk. That doesn't make us a better team. Hes actually a right shot LW. I wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole.

Laine once cost Gaudreau or Tkachuk. But if he has been in the middle of a bunch of contract stale mate and ends up needing to be moved soon after being acquired, I think there will be an appetite in listening to something maybe like Monahan or even lesser instead. If we don't lose those guys and can add Laine, don't you do it? The concept someone else was bouncing around before me was top 6 centre for top 6 winger which are both dire needs and embarrassment of riches for both sides and could potentially be agreeable without a crazy premium. The original winger that was suggested wasn't Laine, because it was assumed he wouldn't be affordable/available, but that might change in a hurry. That's why there was a "maybe" fit for both sides.

Where do you see Laine is a RS LW? I know Ovi is a RS LW, but Laine is listed as RW on all sorts of stuff I've read. The only others I can think of OTOH is Forsberg/A. Nylander who is a RHS LW. I mean, even if he wants to be a LW, I'd be cool with that. Having him there with Gaudreau or Tkachuk finding ways to feed him from the other side would work. Just want more RHS in the top 6.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Laine once cost Gaudreau or Tkachuk. But if he has been in the middle of a bunch of contract stale mate and ends up needing to be moved soon after being acquired, I think there will be an appetite in listening to something maybe like Monahan or even lesser instead. If we don't lose those guys and can add Laine, don't you do it? The concept someone else was bouncing around before me was top 6 centre for top 6 winger which are both dire needs and embarrassment of riches for both sides and could potentially be agreeable without a crazy premium. The original winger that was suggested wasn't Laine, because it was assumed he wouldn't be affordable/available, but that might change in a hurry. That's why there was a "maybe" fit for both sides.

Where do you see Laine is a RS LW? I know Ovi is a RS LW, but Laine is listed as RW on all sorts of stuff I've read. The only others I can think of OTOH is Forsberg/A. Nylander who is a RHS LW. I mean, even if he wants to be a LW, I'd be cool with that. Having him there with Gaudreau or Tkachuk finding ways to feed him from the other side would work. Just want more RHS in the top 6.
The only place Laine has played RW, is on the Jets. He's LW for the Jackets and was before being drafted. Adding a one dimensional kid that is notorious for taking shifts/games off, is the last thing this team needs. His value hasn't dropped anymore than PLD's did when Torts benched him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The only place Laine has played RW, is on the Jets. He's LW for the Jackets and was before being drafted. Adding a one dimensional kid that is notorious for taking shifts/games off, is the last thing this team needs. His value hasn't dropped anymore than PLD's did when Torts benched him.

Source? According to what I read, he was RW in Finland as well. If he did, cool. I just don't see any easy access info that says it.

Category:Finnish ice hockey right wingers - Wikipedia

He's listed here as a RW. Did he play LW in the world juniors opposite of Pulujarvi and in many other instances to qualify as a swing wing vs pure RW?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
So, in other news Burkie is now in charge in Pittsburgh with Hextall as GM.

Mikko Koivu as retired in Columbus.

Pittsburgh has been kind of meh so far this season (like the Flames 5-5-1). Columbus has been too (6-5-3). Two possible dance partners for the Flames as all three want to light a fire and getting going.

PIT has Kapenen, a 24 yr old right shot RW. Columbus doesn't really have much that interests me. Maybe Bjorkstrand, but he is due to get a big raise next year.

As I posted in the Bennett trade thread, I'd go after Kapenen and offer them Simon back as well as Bennett.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So, in other news Burkie is now in charge in Pittsburgh with Hextall as GM.

Mikko Koivu as retired in Columbus.

Pittsburgh has been kind of meh so far this season (like the Flames 5-5-1). Columbus has been too (6-5-3). Two possible dance partners for the Flames as all three want to light a fire and getting going.

PIT has Kapenen, a 24 yr old right shot RW. Columbus doesn't really have much that interests me. Maybe Bjorkstrand, but he is due to get a big raise next year.

As I posted in the Bennett trade thread, I'd go after Kapenen and offer them Simon back as well as Bennett.

Hmm... Pittsburgh is an interesting trade partner... but why not consider also targeting the right shot Gaudreau? ;)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Based on the last few games, I think both Tkachuk and Monahan might eventually benefit from a change of scenery to get them going again. While it should start becoming obvious that Bennett needs to be in the top 6, he's still poorly slotted on the wing. All of his best plays have initiated from middle of the ice and through the neutral zone.

Given the above, I think the top 6 could use one final reshuffle if Tkachuk and Monahan continue to struggle.

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Monahan

With 28 and 23 alternating center duties depending on faceoff location. Really nice balance of playmaking, finishing, and two way play. This would be a cerebral, heavier line anchored by the team's best 2 way forward.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Dube

Tons of speed and skill. We've seen how Bennett and Dube can create with speed together, and I would think Gaudreau would be a perfect fit. The Tkachuk - Lindholm pairing is a bit too slow pace for a guy like Dube. These three would be pushing the pace, which is when they are all at their best. They'd also ideally be getting easier matchups, which they should dominate.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Based on the last few games, I think both Tkachuk and Monahan might eventually benefit from a change of scenery to get them going again. While it should start becoming obvious that Bennett needs to be in the top 6, he's still poorly slotted on the wing. All of his best plays have initiated from middle of the ice and through the neutral zone.

Given the above, I think the top 6 could use one final reshuffle if Tkachuk and Monahan continue to struggle.

With 28 and 23 alternating center duties depending on faceoff location. Really nice balance of playmaking, finishing, and two way play. This would be a cerebral, heavier line anchored by the team's best 2 way forward.

Tons of speed and skill. We've seen how Bennett and Dube can create with speed together, and I would think Gaudreau would be a perfect fit. The Tkachuk - Lindholm pairing is a bit too slow pace for a guy like Dube. These three would be pushing the pace, which is when they are all at their best. They'd also ideally be getting easier matchups, which they should dominate.
I don't think they'll be changing much, especially moving Monahan away from center. I definitely wouldn't mess with the 3rd line, with the way they're playing right now. If anything I'd swap Dube and Bennett. The combination of Tkachuk/Bennett wreaking havoc in deep and Lindy's finishing abilities could be very interesting. I've also wanted to see a Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube line for a long time. Lindy's proven ability to play the RW could also pave the way for your narrative, with 28 and 93 alternating.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I don't want to disparage Ryan but it feels like once he got out of the lineup the team has found their hard-hitting, grungey team identity. I don't know if his absence is necessarily anything to do with it but he is one of those guys who plays a skilled thinking game that doesn't seem ideal for the 4th line since that's the one you throw out to hit and bang. Froese is a welcome addidtion in that regard and that 4th line has speed, banging, and board battle wins consistently now. I'm hoping it's a coincidence but seeing the way the Flames other than Gaudreau played it's hard to imagine he fits that identity right now unless he has some hidden bite to him.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
One thing to note is that Ryan has had a whopping 3 shots on net in 10 games so far. That’s uhhhh pretty bad.

Analytics are still solid, but he doesn’t look like a #3C this year in terms of offence

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There’s a lot of merit of having someone come in who is starving for an NHL job to push people. The fourth line looks good because of what they’re doing, they play north south and bang on the boards.

I like how this team looks right now.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Why not? His game is much better suited to the wing.

He’s been excellent this year down the middle. One sleepy game and we’re acting like he needs to be demoted 2 lines and put on the wing. He wasn’t even bad last night, he was actually quite creative, just didn’t score.

It’s funny. Five years ago I was easily the biggest Monahan detractor on our forum. Now some of you guys have taken that torch and ran a lot further than I ever did :laugh::laugh::laugh:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Good grief.. Monahan has been absolutely fantastic this season.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't want to disparage Ryan but it feels like once he got out of the lineup the team has found their hard-hitting, grungey team identity. I don't know if his absence is necessarily anything to do with it but he is one of those guys who plays a skilled thinking game that doesn't seem ideal for the 4th line since that's the one you throw out to hit and bang. Froese is a welcome addidtion in that regard and that 4th line has speed, banging, and board battle wins consistently now. I'm hoping it's a coincidence but seeing the way the Flames other than Gaudreau played it's hard to imagine he fits that identity right now unless he has some hidden bite to him.

Unfortunately for Ryan he isn't very good at cycling the puck he likes to make high iq passes but Leivo is fantastic at cycling and board battles to wear down the opposing teams and creating havoc in front of the opposing net. Nordstrom seems to also be a decent player playing the cycle game. Ryan just doesn't fit in with the 4th liners but he isn't good enough for the top 9 either

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
People keep saying this, and yet every time he's played on the wing, he's looked like absolute shit.

When has he played on the wing?

He’s been excellent this year down the middle. One sleepy game and we’re acting like he needs to be demoted 2 lines and put on the wing. He wasn’t even bad last night, he was actually quite creative, just didn’t score.

It’s funny. Five years ago I was easily the biggest Monahan detractor on our forum. Now some of you guys have taken that torch and ran a lot further than I ever did :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I agree, he's been very good to start the season. The last few games though I feel his game has fallen off a bit, I don't think the high pace game suits him like it does Gaudreau and Bennett.

Good grief.. Monahan has been absolutely fantastic this season.

He's been very good. He played some of his best hockey in his career from games 3-9 or so. He's been a bit mediocre of late though, and I think he'd be better suited playing with guys like Tkachuk and Lindholm - slightly slower pace which allows him to play at a more controlled level. When the play gets going too fast he struggles IMO.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Unfortunately for Ryan he isn't very good at cycling the puck he likes to make high iq passes but Leivo is fantastic at cycling and board battles to wear down the opposing teams and creating havoc in front of the opposing net. Nordstrom seems to also be a decent player playing the cycle game. Ryan just doesn't fit in with the 4th liners but he isn't good enough for the top 9 either

He's absolutely good enough to play in the Flames top 9. His production and underlying numbers as a Flame are insane, especially when you consider his lack of support at 5v5.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The 3rd line is rolling he isn't good enough to be in the top 6. Don't see where he fits
I would play him with Backlund and Mangiapane, but that's just me.

Derek Ryan is a much much better hockey player than Milan Lucic, despite Looch having a solid last few games.

Regardless if there is a fit or not, he is very easily good enough to play on this team's top 9, which was the original comment I took issue with. He's been among the team's top 6 scoring forwards the last few years while carrying a rotating door of 4th line scrubs.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would play him with Backlund and Mangiapane, but that's just me.

Derek Ryan is a much much better hockey player than Milan Lucic, despite Looch having a solid last few games.

Regardless if there is a fit or not, he is very easily good enough to play on this team's top 9, which was the original comment I took issue with. He's been among the team's top 6 scoring forwards the last few years while carrying a rotating door of 4th line scrubs.

If lucic continues to play the way he has then Ryan isn't a top 9 player on this team. He easily could be on other teams like Ottawa. He is a luxury at this point incase we lose a center to injury or covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad