Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Like to see is not the same as criticizing the organization and calling it a joke for not giving him minutes. There is a huge f***ing difference.
Where are you seeing people criticizing the org and calling it a joke? Might want to check your glasses man, not sure what you're reading or why you're getting so riled up. People are saying he should get a shot since the games don't matter - not sure how any of that is getting you worked up.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's not "questioning" it's the same "fans" using it as an excuse to shit on the team, like they do everything

So they're not actual "fans" if they criticize their team? It's somehow their fault?

If you didn't notice the rest of the Canadian division shit all over this team this year. The Flames sure didn't need the fans help for that part. The team sucks and will continue to suck until they decide to do things differently.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Where are you seeing people criticizing the org and calling it a joke? Might want to check your glasses man, not sure what you're reading or why you're getting so riled up. People are saying he should get a shot since the games don't matter - not sure how any of that is getting you worked up.
For 1 when practice lines were announced a few days ago 1 particular poster started their post complaining about it with literally "I hate this team..."

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
For 1 when practice lines were announced a few days ago 1 particular poster started their post complaining about it with literally "I hate this team..."
So 1 poster saying “I hate this team” is the same as “fans” calling the org a joke... ok Luna. :help:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I kind of view it as a business that takes inventory at years end. You go through and count all of the assets you have and send it to accounting for evaluation. The season is done, the Flames are not playing for playoff positioning, I would like to see both of our other goalies and some of the younger players from the Heat some games. Management knows exactly what Nordstrom, Ritchie and Nestorov are and what they bring. The Flames would probably win more games than they should because the kids would be bringing their best effort but I think they should and will get games.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Flames are two games under 500 with three games to go. Right now they are tied with Edmonton for the second lowest goals against (150) in the division. We are the second lowest in scoring (just above Vancouver) with 142 goals scored. The top three clubs in the division scored way more (Toronto - 187, Edmonton - 182, Winnipeg - 170). Fourth place Montreal scored 159.

Had we gotten more mileage out of some of our stars and supporting cast I believe the Flames could have easily recorded a few more wins or loser points like Montreal and Toronto did. And that might have made all the difference to make the play-offs.

So call me a glass half full kind of guy. This team is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So call me a glass half full kind of guy. This team is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Absolutely this. At some point after Sutter took over it looked like that every bouncing puck that could go into Flames net did go in.

On the other hand, I think the shot stats show that Flames were good, but it was easy to see that they were taking a lot of low % shots

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Absolutely this. At some point after Sutter took over it looked like that every bouncing puck that could go into Flames net did go in.

On the other hand, I think the shot stats show that Flames were good, but it was easy to see that they were taking a lot of low % shots

If you added Hoffman and Compher to the top 9 and put Lucic on the 4th line this team makes the playoffs.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I know I'm reaching here a lot, but I wonder that if the Flames have leadership / lockerroom problems they dont want to bring in kids in because of that. I know that I'm Flames dont have a good record bringing in youth instead of playing vets, and 4 games shouldnt matter for prospect developement, regardless how good or bad the lockerroom is.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don 't think there is a locker room issue. By all accounts they're a tight knit bunch. I think there is enough leadership in the room from veterans like Gio, Looch, and Tanev. Having said that, I think it is time for a younger player to assume that mantle. And I don't necessarily mean Tkachuk. Before the Flames make a change there they have to figure out who will be here long term and is committed to the organization.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
There are more on the current roster that could take on the role. Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Andersson. Assuming one or two are not traded this off season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The Flames are two games under 500 with three games to go. Right now they are tied with Edmonton for the second lowest goals against (150) in the division. We are the second lowest in scoring (just above Vancouver) with 142 goals scored. The top three clubs in the division scored way more (Toronto - 187, Edmonton - 182, Winnipeg - 170). Fourth place Montreal scored 159.

Had we gotten more mileage out of some of our stars and supporting cast I believe the Flames could have easily recorded a few more wins or loser points like Montreal and Toronto did. And that might have made all the difference to make the play-offs.

The issue is where the goals are going to come from?
Calgary lacks a game breaker, and that’s just a fact. Outside of that Gaudreau game... wait for it... 7 years ago where he would just not be stopped against LA, we haven’t had that.

How often does Edmonton get a game where McDavid takes over and gets 4 points?
How often does Toronto get a game where Matthews is scoring 2 huge goals even if the team has Hasek in net?
How often is Colorado getting a 3 point night from Nate MacKinnon that dominates a night?
How often do Boston, St Louis, Florida get games from Bergeron, ROR, Barkov where they’re going to have the puck allllllll night, have 2 points a piece and give other teams absolutely nothing?

Like, we don’t have that. We need 40 goals, and this core has shown it doesn’t have the mettle to step it up when needed. Sutter has them playing the right way, but there’s not enough talent

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
There are more on the current roster that could take on the role.

There really isn't anyone who would be better off wearing a C than Giordano or Backlund. With Bennett out, Andrew Mangiapane is the only guy left who plays the game with the compete level and intensity required to deserve a "C" but the team is dedicated to make him a middle sixer as evidence by his lack of top unit PP time (not many teams don't have their captain on PP1).

And no, Lindholm doesn't deserve a C. The guy's a disappearing act in the postseason. I'd sooner give Dillon Dube a C, and I'm not convince Dube will be here a year from now.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
And no, Lindholm doesn't deserve a C. The guy's a disappearing act in the postseason. I'd sooner give Dillon Dube a C, and I'm not convince Dube will be here a year from now.
I'd give Lindholm a pass for last post season based on what happened in his personal life

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The issue is where the goals are going to come from?
Calgary lacks a game breaker, and that’s just a fact. Outside of that Gaudreau game... wait for it... 7 years ago where he would just not be stopped against LA, we haven’t had that.

How often does Edmonton get a game where McDavid takes over and gets 4 points?
How often does Toronto get a game where Matthews is scoring 2 huge goals even if the team has Hasek in net?
How often is Colorado getting a 3 point night from Nate MacKinnon that dominates a night?
How often do Boston, St Louis, Florida get games from Bergeron, ROR, Barkov where they’re going to have the puck allllllll night, have 2 points a piece and give other teams absolutely nothing?

Like, we don’t have that. We need 40 goals, and this core has shown it doesn’t have the mettle to step it up when needed. Sutter has them playing the right way, but there’s not enough talent
This is why a RW sniper needs to be acquired. Also, Mangiapane and Dube will have to continue to progress. Gaudreau, Monahan, and Tkachuk have had off years. We haven't had anywhere near the offensive support from the back end like we had a couple of years ago.

There will be changes, but we don't need wholesale changes to up our scoring.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
There really isn't anyone who would be better off wearing a C than Giordano or Backlund. With Bennett out, Andrew Mangiapane is the only guy left who plays the game with the compete level and intensity required to deserve a "C" but the team is dedicated to make him a middle sixer as evidence by his lack of top unit PP time (not many teams don't have their captain on PP1).

I don't think we want to keep a long serving veteran as a C. They can still provide leadership, but you want to engage a younger player to take on that role. Whether that player fulfills it as a rah-rah kind of guy or just ups his game and compete level. It would be a challenge for the player to accept.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
This is why a RW sniper needs to be acquired. Also, Mangiapane and Dube will have to continue to progress. Gaudreau, Monahan, and Tkachuk have had off years. We haven't had anywhere near the offensive support from the back end like we had a couple of years ago.

There will be changes, but we don't need wholesale changes to up our scoring.
I very much disagree with this and so does Darryl apparently. Have you listened to the recent post-game pressers when he talks about our lack of top-talent and that we are a massive step behind the top-3 teams in the division? We do need big changes to up our scoring, we’re a bottom-half scoring team facing the possibility of losing by far our best player and Monahan having serious injury concerns. Imo you’re far too optimistic and Darryl seems to definitely agree. We for sure could bounce back a bit and be a borderline playoff team/ maybe score enough to squeak in, but that’s as good as it gets without larger scale changes.

We need a reality check and to acknowledge just how much less top end offensive talent we have compared to the top-8/10 teams

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I very much disagree with this and so does Darryl apparently. Have you listened to the recent post-game pressers when he talks about our lack of top-talent and that we are a massive step behind the top-3 teams in the division? We do need big changes to up our scoring, we’re a bottom-half scoring team facing the possibility of losing by far our best player and Monahan having serious injury concerns. Imo you’re far too optimistic and Darryl seems to definitely agree. We for sure could bounce back a bit and be a borderline playoff team/ maybe score enough to squeak in, but that’s as good as it gets without larger scale changes.

We need a reality check and to acknowledge just how much less top end offensive talent we have compared to the top-8/10 teams
I said wholesale changes. Nothing in Darryl's pressers say anything different. Acquiring a sniper or gaining size or speed to improve scoring doesn't imply large scale changes.

Now in orders of magnitude, if you trade one or two of our core does that constitute wholesale changes? No. But it would certainly change the team dynamic.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Some people forgot that we couldn’t score more than 1 goal in a dozen games or so when it really mattered to win.

1 or 2 guys are not going to change that unless it’s a superstar level type

Reactions: FlamerForLife

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
There is nothing happening for the media to interview him. He'll have a presser on garbage bag day.

Well the (supposed) comments Daryl made about this team being a "4th to 6th place team" after saying we wanted to win a cup here a few months ago sure seems like a shot at the top don't you think?

Regardless we'll know the answer soon.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad