Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The funny thing is that if Darryl embraced the rebuild and young players he would be the perfect coach. I don’t mind what he’s doing with Valimaki. It’s a motivation tactic and Valimaki got lots of minutes this year.

Not trying Phillips, Ruzicka and Mackey is just ridiculous though.
Hard to try players when you haven't even watched them play, which Sutter just admitted about Phillips.

If I was a GM and heard my coach say something like that I would immediately start looking for a replacement.

Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hard to try players when you haven't even watched them play, which Sutter just admitted about Phillips.

If I was a GM and heard my coach say something like that I would immediately start looking for a replacement.

I hope fans are having buyers remorse (Ik we aren't the reason he is here but people sure were screaming for him to come) on Sutter at this point. It's going to be hard watching this team.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I hope fans are having buyers remorse (Ik we aren't the reason he is here but people sure were screaming for him to come) on Sutter at this point. It's going to be hard watching this team.

kinda hard to have buyers remorse. He’s done an excellent job. Look at how the team is playing under him. He’s doing exactly what we knew he would do. They are basically top 5 in scoring chances for and against. That’s pretty much all you can ask of a coach. We may not like his methods and treatment of young player. And the results aren’t there. But this team would have been a dark horse in the playoffs under Darryl Sutter. They are playing structured hockey right now.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
kinda hard to have buyers remorse. He’s done an excellent job. Look at how the team is playing under him. He’s doing exactly what we knew he would do. They are basically top 5 in scoring chances for and against. That’s pretty much all you can ask of a coach. We may not like his methods and treatment of young player. And the results aren’t there. But this team would have been a dark horse in the playoffs under Darryl Sutter. They are playing structured hockey right now.

Great, but the team isn't making the playoffs and we are 1 season away from UFA Johnny and RFA Tkachuk. We have nothing in our prospect pool and have no top flight centres (Lindy is top 30 in the league... but ehhhhh).

The big reason we couldn't score and went through a horrible PDO bender was Sutter being stubborn as hell with his deployment of certain players (cough cough Ritchie cough cough playing Marky 16 in a row now). Also we just lack the finishing talent and goaltending to be able to play a low event game (something LA finally came to grips with in 2017).

This team needs a big time retool yet, and Sutter being here will accomplish none of that (see our lineup with 4 games left). Even if we sneak into the postseason next year, we do not have the talent to compete against the top of the division. And with the contract situation of our roster bringing in Sutter as a last gasp to compete could set this franchise back half a decade.

I'd love to be wrong, but the last few years has seen this roster trend down. Stifling the few prospects we have would be incredibly sad to see.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really don't understand the Phillips circle-jerk.

The kid is the definition of a one dimensional player and is not coming off an impressive season by any means.. He's a smaller, softer, less impressive version of Austin Czarnik.

Being the best forward on a weak AHL team doesn't actually make him good.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I really don't understand the Phillips circle-jerk.

The kid is the definition of a one dimensional player and is not coming off an impressive season by any means.. He's a smaller, softer version of Austin Czarnik.

saying a player has deserved a tryout in meaningless games based on his AHL play is honestly stand operating procedure. Did you see the crap lineup the Canucks put out last night? What does beating up on them accomplish?

time to play the kids. No one has been fawning over any of our prospects. They deserve a shot though

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
saying a player has deserved a tryout in meaningless games based on his AHL play is honestly stand operating procedure. Did you see the crap lineup the Canucks put out last night? What does beating up on them accomplish?

time to play the kids. No one has been fawning over any of our prospects. They deserve a shot though
So your point is play him because the other team sucks? That's a pretty stupid f***ing reason. And his AHL play was not "impressive", it was mediocre, being the best forward on a shit AHL team is not impressive. Being the best forward on Stockton this year is like being the smartest Oiler fan

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So your point is play him because the other team sucks? That's a pretty stupid f***ing reason. And his AHL play was not "impressive", it was mediocre, being the best forward on a shit AHL team is not impressive
How else do you expect young players to progress? Typically a team's best AHL forward gets at least one call up, especially if they are younger.

I don't understand what playing Brett Ritchie over Phillips does for this team.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The reading between the lines message that I've taken away from Sutter's short clip is that 'big and fast' is going to be the mantra. That doesn't mean to say there won't be small players on the club, but you have to know where the emphasis is going to be.

For me this means that in the off season, if trades are made, they will acquire 6'2" or taller guys that are speedy and can score.

The larger guys hoping to make the team next year from the AHL will be big (Ruzicka, Pospisil, Kirkland, Mackey). That isn't to say Matty Phillips won't or any other smaller player, but there will be a quota on small.

I also think that guys like Mangiapane and Dube could be possible trade bait because even though they're 5'10 and 5'11 respectively, they're not tall enough for Darryl's ride and would have a lot of value in the market. Not that I want to see them go, but neither brings (yet) the level of scoring we need to get off of this rock. One of both could be part of a package deal to bring in a needed RW sniper.

Kylington, at 6'0" along with Nesterov 5'11" would miss the mark. Mackey at 6'2" does.

Gio is too old and slow and is still a heck of a player, but the team could put his $6.7M to good use by the club to acquire someone like, oh, say, Jamie Oleksiak 6'7" 255 lb LD who is a UFA (Dallas). Just throwing it out there. We have to realize the logical order of succession when Gio goes doesn't mean everyone moves up a notch (Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington or Mackey) and we would be missing the experience quotient.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I can't recall the context, but do remember a Sutter-ism along the lines of "you don't have to be big, to play big"

Phillips probably isn't going to have much of an NHL career, but it sure would be nice to use these meaningless games to confirm, and see how he compares against the best in the world.

On the other hand, I am perfectly fine keeping Mackey out of the lineup to ensure he stays healthy for the world championships. Those game will be much more meaningful.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't recall the context, but do remember a Sutter-ism along the lines of "you don't have to be big, to play big"

Phillips probably isn't going to have much of an NHL career, but it sure would be nice to use these meaningless games to confirm, and see how he compares against the best in the world.

On the other hand, I am perfectly fine keeping Mackey out of the lineup to ensure he stays healthy for the world championships. Those game will be much more meaningful.
The thing about meaningless games though, is they really don't tell us if a player is ready or not. It's basically like an exhibition game.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The reading between the lines message that I've taken away from Sutter's short clip is that 'big and fast' is going to be the mantra. That doesn't mean to say there won't be small players on the club, but you have to know where the emphasis is going to be.

For me this means that in the off season, if trades are made, they will acquire 6'2" or taller guys that are speedy and can score.

The larger guys hoping to make the team next year from the AHL will be big (Ruzicka, Pospisil, Kirkland, Mackey). That isn't to say Matty Phillips won't or any other smaller player, but there will be a quota on small.

I also think that guys like Mangiapane and Dube could be possible trade bait because even though they're 5'10 and 5'11 respectively, they're not tall enough for Darryl's ride and would have a lot of value in the market. Not that I want to see them go, but neither brings (yet) the level of scoring we need to get off of this rock. One of both could be part of a package deal to bring in a needed RW sniper.

Kylington, at 6'0" along with Nesterov 5'11" would miss the mark. Mackey at 6'2" does.

Gio is to old and slow and is still a heck of a player, but the team could put his $6.7M to good use by the club to acquire someone like, oh, say, Jamie Oleksiak 6'7" 255 lb LD who is a UFA (Dallas). Just throwing it out there. We have to realize the logical order of succession when Gio goes doesn't mean everyone moves up a notch (Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington or Mackey) and we would be missing the experience quotient.

Ritchie is big and fast. Lets get 4 of him

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So your point is play him because the other team sucks? That's a pretty stupid f***ing reason. And his AHL play was not "impressive", it was mediocre, being the best forward on a shit AHL team is not impressive. Being the best forward on Stockton this year is like being the smartest Oiler fan

Better #s than Yamamoto up north, yet he was given the chance at a top 6 spot in the NHL.

If there was any time to give prospects a bit of a chance, now is the time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Better #s than Yamamoto up north, yet he was given the chance at a top 6 spot in the NHL.

If there was any time to give prospects a bit of a chance, now is the time.
He produced more last year, yes; in extremely abbreviated AHL seasons. Yamamoto is way more offensively gifted than Phillips. The Oilers have also ruined a shit ton of prospects by rushing them to the NHL, so following their lead isn't exactly intelligent.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This team played out the string with Spencer Foo who had a hopeless 1st half of an AHL season. I think we'll manage with Phillips here

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This team played out the string with Spencer Foo who had a hopeless 1st half of an AHL season. I think we'll manage with Phillips here
I personally don't give a f*** either way. My entire point, is it's not worth bitching and moaning about him not playing

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
He produced more last year, yes; in extremely abbreviated AHL seasons. Yamamoto is way more offensively gifted than Phillips. The Oilers have also ruined a shit ton of prospects by rushing them to the NHL, so following their lead isn't exactly intelligent.

McDavid enters the chat.
I didn't play in the AHL so that means nobody should play in the AHL.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I personally don't give a f*** either way. My entire point, is it's not worth bitching and moaning about him not playing
This is a discussion board. Pretty sure questioning why he isn’t playing are valid discussion points for this type of board.

He should get ice time to see what we have. At worst, nothing comes of it. At best, maybe he’s valuable

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is a discussion board. Pretty sure questioning why he isn’t playing are valid discussion points for this type of board.

He should get ice time to see what we have. At worst, nothing comes of it. At best, maybe he’s valuable
It's not "questioning" it's the same "fans" using it as an excuse to shit on the team, like they do everything

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
It's not "questioning" it's the same "fans" using it as an excuse to shit on the team, like they do everything
Just because posters don’t see everything the way you do, doesn’t make them less of a “fan” than you. I’m a fan of this team; have been since I was born. I’d like to see him get some games before the end of the season so we see what we have, does that make me not a real “fan”?

Reactions: cheechoo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just because posters don’t see everything the way you do, doesn’t make them less of a “fan” than you. I’m a fan of this team; have been since I was born. I’d like to see him get some games before the end of the season so we see what we have, does that make me not a real “fan”?
Like to see is not the same as criticizing the organization and calling it a joke for not giving him minutes. There is a huge f***ing difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce