Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Burke was a big part of that draft and I have a strong suspicion they would've taken Bennett as high as 2. We will never know though, I suppose.
I've always wondered what the Oilers saw that year as most people had Draisaitl lower than Bennett but a team that up to that point had always gone for the bigger name went with Draisaitl. That draft saved the Oilers and set us back. I understand why we picked Bennett but is lack of production is something that will haunt Treliving.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
But that isn't Gaudreau's fault. You said you can't build around Gaudreau because Kessel failed in Toronto but that wasn't on Kessel that was on Burke. This team is bad because it was built bad not because Gaudreau is the only player to live up to expectations. That's like saying you can't win with McDavid because the terrible teams they put around him failed.
They moved on because they decided that Phil wasn't good enough to be the primary player to take them to a championship and they didn't want his character around the rebuild because its contagious. Impressionable kids, looking up to and learning how to play at the NHL level from the likes of Johnny or Kessel creates terrible bad habits, that left unchecked can be uncorrectable.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
They moved on because they decided that Phil wasn't good enough to be the primary player to take them to a championship and they didn't want his character around the rebuild because its contagious. Impressionable kids, looking up to and learning how to play at the NHL level from the likes of Johnny or Kessel creates terrible bad habits, that left unchecked can be uncorrectable.

Lol blaming bad habits on Gaudreau. If Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett can't lead that's a bigger problem than looking up to Gaudreau. Again you blame the best player because they aren't a good GM just doesn't even make sense.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Lol blaming bad habits on Gaudreau. If Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett can't lead that's a bigger problem than looking up to Gaudreau. Again you blame the best player because they aren't a good GM just doesn't even make sense.
I guess not to you, if you only want to look at his point production. I myself, prefer to look at his entire game and the way it impacts the team. While his skill is undeniable, there's also only a handful of players, in the entire league, that turn the puck over more than him, leading to a multitude of odd man rushes.....every year.
And yes, I am saying that a lot of the bad habits that this team has, stem from Johnny's play.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I guess not to you, if you only want to look at his point production. I myself, prefer to look at his entire game and the way it impacts the team. While his skill is undeniable, there's also only a handful of players, in the entire league, that turn the puck over more than him, leading to a multitude of odd man rushes.....every year.
And yes, I am saying that a lot of the bad habits that this team has, stem from Johnny's play.

no they don’t. Johnny is the only player on this team with any talent. Tkachuk for example turns the puck over way more than Gaudreau.

the fact you and a few others have tried to drive him out of town because you’re a Monahan fanboy is hilarious. Abd your defence about Monahan is always about points but Gaudreau never gets that as an argument as to why he’s elite.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Give aways per 60 min he is 15th on the team this year.

And how many giveaways are because no one else on this team can carry the puck?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
no they don’t. Johnny is the only player on this team with any talent. Tkachuk for example turns the puck over way more than Gaudreau.

the fact you and a few others have tried to drive him out of town because you’re a Monahan fanboy is hilarious. Abd your defence about Monahan is always about points but Gaudreau never gets that as an argument as to why he’s elite.
You're welcome to look up the numbers but Johnny is among the league leaders every year. If you read though the posts leading up to this, I'm actually suggesting that Johnny and Monahan are actually the first 2 players to go.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Look at his career. He's talented but also very lazy.
What's your excuse this year then? If we are bad because of giveaways and they stop and we do worse how can you conclude you were right?

And again how many are because no one else on this team can carry the f***ing puck?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Giveaway totals are about as useful as +/-, it doesn't tell you anything about the context of the minutes and role that player plays. A player which is constantly relied on to be the one to carry the puck into the zone and make the first pass is always going to have far more giveaways than a player who does not. I can think of few players in the league that are relied on in this way as much as Gaudreau is.

You know who else has outrageous giveaway totals? Leon Draisaitl. I'd want that guy on my team too.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What's your excuse this year then? If we are bad because of giveaways and they stop and we do worse how can you conclude you were right?

And again how many are because no one else on this team can carry the f***ing puck?
My excuse? The only thing you've been able to come up with is that Johnny scores the most points and its someone else's fault. Perhaps if spent more time evaluating the root of this teams problems, not only this season but past ones and the playoffs, instead of just pointing fingers at the easy targets, you may come to the same conclusions.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Giveaway totals are about as useful as +/-, it doesn't tell you anything about the context of the minutes and role that player plays. A player which is constantly relied on to be the one to carry the puck into the zone and make the first pass is always going to have far more giveaways than a player who does not. I can think of few players in the league that are relied on in this way as much as Gaudreau is.

You know who else has outrageous giveaway totals? Leon Draisaitl. I'd want that guy on my team too.

The most giveaways in history per minute. Wayne Gretzky. I heard he was alright

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
My excuse? The only thing you've been able to come up with is that Johnny scores the most points and its someone else's fault. Perhaps if spent more time evaluating the root of this teams problems, not only this season but past ones and the playoffs, instead of just pointing fingers at the easy targets, you may come to the same conclusions.
Instead of pointing fingers at the easy targets like the problems on the team we should find a way to blame one of the few guys year in year out to show up.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
as soon as you trade Gaudreau you spend a decade looking for another Gaudreau. Who else do we need to pay?
I don't know, teams have gotten pretty good at crash and burn rebuilds now a days. The way I see it, you keep Lindy, Mangi, Dube and Backlund. You have Pelletier/Zary coming, plus the returns for Johnny, Monahan and possibly even Tkachuk. You do what you can but more like than not come into a strong 2022 draft on our nose.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I've always wondered what the Oilers saw that year as most people had Draisaitl lower than Bennett but a team that up to that point had always gone for the bigger name went with Draisaitl. That draft saved the Oilers and set us back. I understand why we picked Bennett but is lack of production is something that will haunt Treliving.

European scouting info identified him as a potential power forward. He came to Canada and played junior in Prince Albert - that's when the Oilers focused on him. PA wasn't working out as a good development plan, so McTavish arranged a move to Kelowna to finish his junior play. When the draft happened, we couldn't believe our luck that he was still available....needless to say, the Oilers were willing to get him at any cost.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
European scouting info identified him as a potential power forward. He came to Canada and played junior in Prince Albert - that's when the Oilers focused on him. PA wasn't working out as a good development plan, so McTavish arranged a move to Kelowna to finish his junior play. When the draft happened, we couldn't believe our luck that he was still available....needless to say, the Oilers were willing to get him at any cost.
This is a rewrite of history...There was no luck in Draisatl being available and the only thing the Oilers had to do to get him was to suck at playing hockey.
Ekblad was always going first and one of the Sam's were always going to go #2 but if Ekblad had fallen to #3 the Oilers would have taken him over Draisatl . All the Oilers had to do to take him was to wait their turn.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
It was Draisatl's size. He projected to be a large bodied skilled 1st line center. Which at the time was what teams needed to compete. At the time of the draft Anaheim, San Jose and the Kings ruled the division and they were large and played a heavy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad