Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Assuming Eichel isn't available (I really doubt Buffalo actually moves him), I think we'd be best off selling Giordano, Bennett, Ryan, and then seeing the best we can get for Monahan. If that's a 1st+, a 1-for-1 with a guy like Mantha, you consider it. Accumulate picks, prospects, and cap space for a re-tool.

Then imo you go hard after Danault in the off-season. He is a legit top-6 C with insane underlying numbers (almost 60% xGF) despite playing the hardest matchups every night. Like a younger better Backlund. We need to become harder to play against and Danault is a great first step in that direction.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-______
_____-Danault-Mangiapane
Tkachuk-Backlund-Dube/Lucic
Dube/Lucic-______-_______

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-______
Kylington/Mackey-Rasmus
Kylington/Mackey

Markstrom
_______

That leaves about 17.5 mil for 2 top-6 W's, 2 4th liners, a 13th F, a top-4 RD, and a backup goalie.

Assuming we spend ~1.5 on a backup and ~3 mil on the 4th line and 13th F, that's 13 mil for 2 top-6 W's and a top-4 D.

Forwards I would target:
Jaden Schwartz (UFA)
Zach Hyman (UFA)
Adam Lowry (UFA)
Blake Coleman (UFA)
Jake Debrusk (for picks before expansion draft)
Kevin Labanc (if San Jose decides to rebuild)
Ryan Hartman/ Jordan Greenway/ Marcus Foligno (MIN)
Anthony Mantha (in exchange for Monahan)
Viktor Arvidsson (in package for Monahan)
Kyle Palmieri (UFA)
David Krejci (UFA)
Landeskog (UFA)
Logan Brown (OTT)
Calle Jankrok (NSH)
Jesper Bratt (NJ)
Tomas Tatar (MTL)
Joel Armia (MTL)
Nuge (lol)

4th liners to target:
Mathieu Perrault
Conor Sheary
Nick Bjugstad
Sam Gagner
Bobby Ryan
Blake Comeau
Andrew Cogliano
Tomas Nosek
Ivan Barbashev (RFA)
Alex Iafallo
Matt Calvert
PE Bellemare
Brock McGinn
Cedric Pacquette

D-men to target
Alec Martinez (UFA)
Matt Dumba (really strong possession driver, maybe Monahan for Dumba+)
Vince Dunn (picks+prospects)
Jake McCabe (UFA)
Alex Goligoski (UFA)

Depth D:
Brett Kulak
Conor Timmins
Jake Bean
Travis Dermott
Trevor Van Reimsdyk
Mike Reilly
Dmitri Kulikov
Mark Pysyk
Jake Gardiner (as a cheap dump in exchange for a dump)

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Rumor is Treliving is looking for a new goalie

the current duos can not win if they don’t have a shutout.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Assuming Eichel isn't available (I really doubt Buffalo actually moves him), I think we'd be best off selling Giordano, Bennett, Ryan, and then seeing the best we can get for Monahan. If that's a 1st+, a 1-for-1 with a guy like Mantha, you consider it. Accumulate picks, prospects, and cap space for a re-tool.

Then imo you go hard after Danault in the off-season. He is a legit top-6 C with insane underlying numbers (almost 60% xGF) despite playing the hardest matchups every night. Like a younger better Backlund. We need to become harder to play against and Danault is a great first step in that direction.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-______
_____-Danault-Mangiapane
Tkachuk-Backlund-Dube/Lucic
Dube/Lucic-______-_______

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-______
Kylington/Mackey-Rasmus
Kylington/Mackey

Markstrom
_______

That leaves about 17.5 mil for 2 top-6 W's, 2 4th liners, a 13th F, a top-4 RD, and a backup goalie.

Assuming we spend ~1.5 on a backup and ~3 mil on the 4th line and 13th F, that's 13 mil for 2 top-6 W's and a top-4 D.

Forwards I would target:
Jaden Schwartz (UFA)
Zach Hyman (UFA)
Adam Lowry (UFA)
Blake Coleman (UFA)
Jake Debrusk (for picks before expansion draft)
Kevin Labanc (if San Jose decides to rebuild)
Ryan Hartman/ Jordan Greenway/ Marcus Foligno (MIN)
Anthony Mantha (in exchange for Monahan)
Viktor Arvidsson (in package for Monahan)
Kyle Palmieri (UFA)
David Krejci (UFA)
Landeskog (UFA)
Logan Brown (OTT)
Calle Jankrok (NSH)
Jesper Bratt (NJ)
Tomas Tatar (MTL)
Joel Armia (MTL)
Nuge (lol)

4th liners to target:
Mathieu Perrault
Conor Sheary
Nick Bjugstad
Sam Gagner
Bobby Ryan
Blake Comeau
Andrew Cogliano
Tomas Nosek
Ivan Barbashev (RFA)
Alex Iafallo
Matt Calvert
PE Bellemare
Brock McGinn
Cedric Pacquette

D-men to target
Alec Martinez (UFA)
Matt Dumba (really strong possession driver, maybe Monahan for Dumba+)
Vince Dunn (picks+prospects)
Jake McCabe (UFA)
Alex Goligoski (UFA)

Depth D:
Brett Kulak
Conor Timmins
Jake Bean
Travis Dermott
Trevor Van Reimsdyk
Mike Reilly
Dmitri Kulikov
Mark Pysyk
Jake Gardiner (as a cheap dump in exchange for a dump)
If we're rebuilding/retooling, it starts with Johnny. You don't build around guys like Johnny or Kessel. People underestimate the impact of a top producer thats not really into working out, eating right or doing the little things to win has on the entire team. They're fine to add to already strong group, for a cup run but if you're looking for Johnny or Kessel to be the guy, your team will develop some pretty horrific traits, in a big hurry.

Ps, I'm not sure if you've watched much of Danault but he isn't better than Backlund and at 28, it's unlikely he ever will be. Having 11 million + tied up between Danault and Backlund is a recipe to suck forever.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We weren't supposed to be built around Johnny but unlike our high first round picks he actually carried this team. Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, Giordano was who this team was suppose to be built around.

We found free money in Brodie and Gaudreau and that's who people seem to love to scapegoat.

Busting on our highest pick ever is what set this team back

Last edited:

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
If we're rebuilding/retooling, it starts with Johnny. You don't build around guys like Johnny or Kessel. People underestimate the impact of a top producer thats not really into working out, eating right or doing the little things to win has on the entire team. They're fine to add to already strong group, for a cup run but if you're looking for Johnny or Kessel to be the guy, your team will develop some pretty horrific traits, in a big hurry.

Ps, I'm not sure if you've watched much of Danault but he isn't better than Backlund and at 28, it's unlikely he ever will be. Having 11 million + tied up between Danault and Backlund is a recipe to suck forever.

Don't get me wrong I'm open to the idea of moving Johnny (especially if there's any chance he wants out next summer). Having said that I truly believe that Gaudreau is being handcuffed by being locked on an offence-only line with Monahan, and that if we make the right moves we can get the most out of Gaudreau while not having our top-line be a defensive liability. If there's a deal where a team is willing to throw a Nolan Patrick or similar young top-6C with potential for 1.5 years of Gaudreau I do it without hesitation, but short of that I don't wanna sell Gaudreau for just a mid-1st+.

As for Danault, I really really have to disagree with you. Have you watched Danault? Did you hear that Mackinnnon interview recently where he said that he's the most underrated hard-to-match-up-against C in the league? Danault's underlying numbers are genuinely incredible if you consider that he gets the toughest matchups every single night, playing 16 minutes (with 0 PP time), and is still putting up over 60% Expected Goals and Scoring Chances for. Like if that isn't the definition of a possession driver and elite two-way C idk what is. You can look at the 0 in the goal totals and believe he isn't a positive offensive contributor, or you can look at the fact that he consistently out chances and outscores the top lines of teams in our division every single night. And this is a guy who has been outspoken about wanting a more offensive role and believing he has a lot more to give, he's just completely buried with 0 PP time behind two young high-potential C's.
Honestly I don't get how you can see Danault being similar to Backlund as a negative and recipe for disaster. We NEED more Backlund's on this team, not less. Especially 28-year-old hungry ones that believe they have more to give offensively. We don't have the pieces to ever be an elite scoring team, so imo we should build a roster with 4 lines that are excellent two-way and can compete against any line. Lindholm-Danault-Backlund would be extremely extremely difficult to match up against. Also, Danault has more ES points/60 than one-dimensional top-6 C Monahan this year. Danault has 7 ES pts in 18 games playing 14 ES mins a night, Monahan 7 in 19 playing 14:30 with Johnny Gaudreau. Give Danault some PP time and you've got a 50-point C who is a legit Selke candidate. I'd take that on my team every single day

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
We weren't supposed to be built around Johnny but unlike our high first round picks he actually carried this team. Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, Giordano was who this team was suppose to be built around.

We found free money in Brodie and Gaudreau and that's who people seem to love to scapegoat.

Busting on our highest pick ever is what set this team back
So did Phil in Toronto but eventually you have to realize that while they're still producing, the team is actually getting worse. I agree that Johnny isn't the only problem but sometimes you just have to cut it out before you can get better. Personally, I start with Johnny and Monahan. Then I move onto chronic underachievers like Bennett and Hanifin. I'm not to concerned about Tkachuk and I feel confident that he could rebound. Its becoming a bit of a trend for 22/23 year olds to have a down season after teams make them multimillionaires.......go figure. I think he could potentially be our Landeskog. The part that concerns me is that he isn't locked up long term at 7 million. I really wouldn't feel comfortable paying him much more than that and for the right deal I'd move him, for that reason.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Top teams have an offensive star player like Gaudreau but they have other high end players guys like Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Hanifin are guys that have caused this team to stall and stagnant. If we trade Gaudreau we might not have a player as dynamic as him for a long time.

I'd trade Gaudreau if he doesn't want to stay here (who would) but to say its Gaudreau's fault this team isn't great is such a cop out. This team would be so much better off if we had taken Nylander over Bennett and if Trev could find a young top end D ( Hamilton, Hanifin)

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
If you can’t get Eichel move everyone you can besides Lindholm, Valimaki, Dube and Mangiapane.

Hell, maybe even Lindholm.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Top teams have an offensive star player like Gaudreau but they have other high end players guys like Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Hanifin are guys that have caused this team to stall and stagnant. If we trade Gaudreau we might not have a player as dynamic as him for a long time.

I'd trade Gaudreau if he doesn't want to stay here (who would) but to say its Gaudreau's fault this team isn't great is such a cop out. This team would be so much better off if we had taken Nylander over Bennett and if Trev could find a young top end D ( Hamilton, Hanifin)
I think people still give Johnny way too much credit, which is why it crucial to move him sooner, rather than later. Kessel and Johnny's numbers are almost identical, and their on/off ice approach to the game, is eerily similar, with Phil being a much better playoff producer. Johnny is also, coincidentally enough, the same age as Phil when Toronto decided to move on. Its extremely important to future that this team to move Johnny for the top value possible and my opinion, it only goes down from here until he reaches UFA.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Panic trades in the middle of a pandemic aren't the way to rebuild especially with a GM who has no vision for his team.
Who says it would be panic?

I should have said “trade anyone you can get proper value for besides...”

I’m not talking trading them for the sake of trading them, and it would be a gradual process throughout this season, off-season and seasons to come. No panic

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think people still give Johnny way too much credit, which is why it crucial to move him sooner, rather than later. Kessel and Johnny's numbers are almost identical, and their on/off ice approach to the game, is eerily similar, with Phil being a much better playoff producer. Johnny is also, coincidentally enough, the same age as Phil when Toronto decided to move on. Its extremely important to future that this team moves Johnny for the top value possible and my opinion, it only goes down from here until he reaches UFA.

Give Gaudreau to much credit? I'm sorry but what even now your blaming him over the 3 guys taken in the top 6 on the team. We aren't built around Gaudreau he is the only one for years to consistently deliver.

Kessel won 2 cups and was dominant doing it, Gaudreau doesn't even make 7 mil so Trev could bring in top end talent and brought in Neal and Brouwer. You can bring up Toronto all you want the only similarities between the two are bad GMs and Brain Burke.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Who says it would be panic?

I should have said “trade anyone you can get proper value for besides...”

I’m not talking trading them for the sake of trading them, and it would be a gradual process throughout this season, off-season and seasons to come. No panic

Yea okay fair I shouldn't have assumed you meant trade them today lol

Reactions: User1996

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Rumor is Treliving is looking for a new goalie

the current duos can not win if they don’t have a shutout.
I realllly hope this isn't true. That would be terrible management on Treliving's part, to get a new goalie when the issue is the lack of planning around the schedule instead of anything with the goalies. That would just be astronomically stupid on Treliving's part.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Top 6: decent, but can't score
Bottom 6: Horrendous. can't score, except Looch.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I mean, I did kinda type it that way too. But definitely not what I meant
After last it would be hard to blame anyone wanting to make moves. I just want a new Gm and coach brought in to evaluate what we currently have and come up with a real plan in terms of game play style we want to play moving forward and finding players to fit that vision.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Give Gaudreau to much credit? I'm sorry but what even now your blaming him over the 3 guys taken in the top 6 on the team. We aren't built around Gaudreau he is the only one for years to consistently deliver.

Kessel won 2 cups and was dominant doing it, Gaudreau doesn't even make 7 mil so Trev could bring in top end talent and brought in Neal and Brouwer. You can bring up Toronto all you want the only similarities between the two are bad GMs and Brain Burke.
He sure didn't with Toronto and this team definitely doesn't even have one of Crosby, Malkin or Letang. Stay in denial, talk about past mistakes and could have beens, I'll stick to the present. The reality is this team is much closer to those Leafs teams, then we are to the Penguins.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He sure didn't with Toronto and this team definitely doesn't even have one of Crosby, Malkin or Letang. Stay in denial, talk about past mistakes and could have beens, I'll stick to the present. The reality is this team is much closer to those Leafs teams, then we are to the Penguins.

But that isn't Gaudreau's fault. You said you can't build around Gaudreau because Kessel failed in Toronto but that wasn't on Kessel that was on Burke. This team is bad because it was built bad not because Gaudreau is the only player to live up to expectations. That's like saying you can't win with McDavid because the terrible teams they put around him failed.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I dunno that draft was all about the 'top 4' and for better or worse we were picking 4th, I think Bennett was the only realistic pick at all at that spot.
In the media yea I agree but most teams have better different boards to the media. We struggle at developing which doesn't help anything but to not draft an everyday impactful player with our highest pick ever is just such a miss.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
In the media yea I agree but most teams have better different boards to the media. We struggle at developing which doesn't help anything but to not draft an everyday impactful player with our highest pick ever is just such a miss.

Burke was a big part of that draft and I have a strong suspicion they would've taken Bennett as high as 2. We will never know though, I suppose.

Reactions: Boomstick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->