Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think I picked the right season to stop watching the Flames regularly.

In their last 5 games they have 7 goals and awful underlying numbers. Ward is genuinely the worst head coach in the NHL and the fact that Treliving ever thought he was a guy the team could win with should get him fired too. Even if they didn't want to pay a coach I'm certain there are better up and coming coaches in junior, college and the AHL.

Keefe, Bednar, Green and Cooper all came from the AHL.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think I picked the right season to stop watching the Flames regularly.

In their last 5 games they have 8 goals and awful underlying numbers. Ward is genuinely the worst head coach in the NHL and the fact that Treliving ever thought he was a guy the team could win with should get him fired too. Even if they didn't want to pay a coach I'm certain there are better up and coming coaches in junior, college and the AHL.

Keefe, Bednar, Green and Cooper all came from the AHL.

Are you saying it’s Huska time?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Are you saying it’s Huska time?
tenor.gif

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
For me, the potential of a back to back draft and a perceived strong 2022 draft class is pretty appealing. You combine that with no pressure to fill the Dome and the looming expiring contracts, its time for a full scale rebuild. Scorched earth but in a more methodical approach, like Sakic in Colorado, ensuring top value.

Keep:
Lindholm
Mangi
Dube
Backlund
Lucic(costs to much to get rid of)
Ras
Valimaki
Tanev
Gio

Move now:
Johnny
Monahan

Move with the right deal:
Tkachuk
Hanifin
Markstrom

With the guys we keep, the returns on the guys we move, our own top picks and the potential maneuverability of a double draft, we should be able to acquire the impact player we need to build around properly, in a timely manner.

Why on earth, do you want to keep Gio? Afraid to lose his ‘leadership’ ? He is not very good at that.

If anybody willing to give some value, he should be gone

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yea if its miscommunication then that's on everyone especially the captain who should be trying to help these guys work out their problems.

Tkachuk used to use his play between whistles to drive opponents nuts and then stuff would happen after the whistle, now it feels like Tkachuk is trying to start stuff after the whistle to drive opponents nuts but it's not effective he needs to go back to driving the net and being hard to play against.

As an outsider it seems so obvious what Tkachuk needs to do i just don't understand how he can be confused but I don't know what is truly being said to him

I hope Tkachuk isn't losing faith in his mates and the coaching, management? If he continues in this same course of uninspired play overall, I fear he is playing himself into ," I want out of here", territory.
Hope not. Backlund and Money's less-than-enthusiastic play mostly this season would piss me off as a teammate.
And then to not have his back when an opponent disses on him at the end of a game?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I hope Tkachuk isn't losing faith in his mates and the coaching, management? If he continues in this same course of uninspired play overall, I fear he is playing himself into ," I want out of here", territory.
Hope not. Backlund and Money's less-than-enthusiastic play mostly this season would piss me off as a teammate.
And then to not have his back when an opponent disses on him at the end of a game?

I don't get the not having his back angle, what Muzzin did was a nothing play. Would it be frustrating sure but Tkachuk has to keep his cool, young Tkachuk would do what Muzzin did to get under peoples skin he needs to realize that's what Toronto wanted.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think there's a chance that they even consider that package, just way to many magic beans there. It seems very unlikely, to me, that the Sabres would consider moving Eichel before expansion and if they do, it'll be for actually NHL players. I don't think that there's much mystery left in Monahan or interest in Hanifin. Its very possible that they view Valimaki as the most intriguing part of the package and I don't think that is overly enticing for Eichel. Honestly, I think there's probably a dozen teams that would top that offer.

I am not saying it would be the best offer, I think the Rangers and maybe Kings would make strong bids, but realistically are they offering?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Why on earth, do you want to keep Gio? Afraid to lose his ‘leadership’ ? He is not very good at that.

If anybody willing to give some value, he should be gone
Well because we won't get value and his contract expires next year. Definitely won't impact the rebuild and helps us reach the floor.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I am not saying it would be the best offer, I think the Rangers and maybe Kings would make strong bids, but realistically are they offering?
I don't see the Kings having interest. I was thinking the Jets, Canadiens or Blues. Possibly the Panthers depending on Barkov's demands and maybe the Canes could use a big name to help sell tickets. The Devils have been bad for a long time and may want to Jumpstart their rebuild. I also think the Knights may have interest and thats just off the top of my head. Possibly even Vancouver, depending on how they feel about Pettersson. IMO, all those teams have the pieces to make much more appealing offers, than you're suggesting.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

If I am Blake I would be going for Eichel. They have a surplus of top end C prospects/rookies that would be VERY appealing to Buffalo. The only downside would be having Eichel/Kopitar/Doughty taking a huge chunk of the cap. Guess it doesn’t matter while they are still rebuilding on the fly.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Domi is really struggling in Columbus I wonder if a Domi for Bennett swap would work.
The potential for chemistry is definitely there. Questions about how good his skill level actually is and disappears for large stretches. Sounds like a potential Flames core player. In all seriousness though, he does have decent speed but the cap doesn't work and I don't see the Jackets giving up on the return for Anderson, just yet anyways.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The potential for chemistry is definitely there. Questions about how good his skill level actually is and disappears for large stretches. Sounds like a potential Flames core player. In all seriousness though, he does have decent speed but the cap doesn't work and I don't see the Jackets giving up on the return for Anderson, just yet anyways.
Domi is 5 million on their 4th line most nights. I think Bennett is a Torts sort of player and unlike Domi he is an Rfa so Jarmo could lock him up to a 3 or 4 year deal with low cap hit. After losing Koivu they are most likely looking for a pking center.

Domi for Bennett + Ryan + 3rd/4th

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Domi is 5 million on their 4th line most nights. I think Bennett is a Torts sort of player and unlike Domi he is an Rfa so Jarmo could lock him up to a 3 or 4 year deal with low cap hit. After losing Koivu they are most likely looking for a pking center.

Domi for Bennett + Ryan + 3rd/4th
Honestly if Bennett could somehow get back to a 25 point pace, we probably get more bang for our buck with Bennett and I'm not a Bennett fan

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
First of all are we still doing phrasing?

Secondly not that hard if he wouldn't move Tkachuk as was rumoured.

BT put out words that he is in on every deal to give this impression that he is a hard working GM.

It’s obviously a fraud. Everybody should have figured that out by now

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can Tre actually find a dance partner rather than hang out at the punch bowl all night.

Dude can’t even get with the school slut.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't see the Kings having interest. I was thinking the Jets, Canadiens or Blues. Possibly the Panthers depending on Barkov's demands and maybe the Canes could use a big name to help sell tickets. The Devils have been bad for a long time and may want to Jumpstart their rebuild. I also think the Knights may have interest and thats just off the top of my head. Possibly even Vancouver, depending on how they feel about Pettersson. IMO, all those teams have the pieces to make much more appealing offers, than you're suggesting.

I think the Kings are one of the front runners. They have the cap space and the assets and are loaded with futures. The Jets can’t do it unless they flip Dubois which I don’t see. I don’t think the Blues can make that deal either, but maybe. The Canadiens would have interest for sure but say bye to Suzuki and Kotka. I think the Canes will call but won’t do it and Eichel won’t to go there. Vegas has literally zero cap. The Rangers like the Kings will be totally in and I think the Flyers will as well.

If the Sabres wanna tear it all down again, the Kings or Rangers will get him. If not, the Flames will be among the leaders.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Just like he tried really hard for Stone eh

I seem to recall that there was a report that Maloney was pretty confident that the Flames had fielded the best offer for Stone the day before and was expecting the Flames' offer to be accepted. VGK had previously been interested but that interest had seemingly waned. However, at the literal 11th hour, VGK changed their minds and put Brannstrom on the table to secure Stone.

From what I recall, the speculation was that we fielded an offer similar VGK (who asked about the price, but wasn't really kicking tires at all IIRC vs Flames who showed interest from the get go), but with Kylington or Andersson as the dman (at the time, I think value wise it was something like Valimaki>>Kylington>=Andersson). Ottawa wanted the dman upgraded to Valimaki and Treliving said no because he felt like he had a pretty good chance of consummating the trade without changing his offer and wanted to keep Valimaki.

We had the second best offer for Stone. But the second best offer is being an also ran, which is worthless in a trade situation. The same apparently happened with New Jersey and Taylor Hall. Second best offer and NJD really thought long and hard about it, but they went with the Yotes trade package. This trade was rumored to be around Hanifin as the main piece.

Treliving succeeded in trading Brodie for Kadri, but couldn't succeed against Kadri's NTC.

He supposedly succeeded in trading Frolik + 1st (Pelletier) for Zucker, but something internal in the Flames org caused the deal to fall through much to Treliving's chagrin.

The dude works pretty damn hard, but sometimes, he's too aggressive on price vs offering a minor and slight sweetener to lock in the trade making him just miss a great deal by pennies.

First of all are we still doing phrasing?

Secondly not that hard if he wouldn't move Tkachuk as was rumoured.

Things go completely wrong if they include Tkachuk in a Dubois deal.

They would miss out on a Wood - Chuck pun.

Honestly speaking, Treliving to me seems very loyal to his guys. I wonder if it's shades of Dean Lombardi and will basically mirror the reasons for his eventual downfall.

Lombardi won cups tho.

Reactions: Boomstick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad