Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Do we trust Trev to rebuild? Do we wait for the off-season and let new management re shape this team?

Likely won't see a "rebuild" but a "reset"...............I could see him looking to acquire a "A" prospect like Morgan Frost, inserting him immediately into the lineup then going UFA route for Hall or Landeskog type players. I would be okay with that. Should it be Treliving? His results shouldn't keep him around but I think he's solid in the organization's view.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
These speculated core changes will come 2 years too late. Might as well tear it all down and become the Ottawa Senators if the organization is entertaining these thoughts now.

You either go all-in with this group or pull the plug

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Actually, yes. I might be okay with that.

His trades (excluding Hamonic) have been decent and if we got the Hamonic everyone thought we'd get at the time that'd have been a decent trade too.

His drafting hasn't been awful, either.

Problem is that I don't think ownership has the patience for a prolonged rebuild.

My real problem with Trev outside of not being able to find a coach is he doesn't seem to have a vision of what he wants this team to be. We don't have an identity as a team if we let Trev make some huge trades how do we know we don't end up with more misfit toys?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Do we trust Trev to rebuild? Do we wait for the off-season and let new management re shape this team?

If he’s dedicated to one, then yes.
Not a half-assed rebuild that puts us back to where we are in a year, but one that gives us 2-3 grade A shots at an franchise centre, so we can be a dominant franchise for years to come. Treliving isn’t a bad GM, I think the sum of his parts of the team just haven’t equaled the whole number, if you get what I mean. On paper, this team should be quite good, but they stink. We need a new coach in the worst of ways. Gotta bring someone in with some meat. A Gallant type guy would work, he got Vegas playing hard for each other, imagine if we had a team working half as hard.

The big thing I think Calgary has going for it, is the fact none of our pieces are incredibly overpaid, that we have 6-7 pieces that we could essentially use a starting point.

My thoughts:

You have two options here:
1) Try to reshuffle the deck to get someone like Eichel. Essentially pony up whatever Buffalo wants to make it happen. You open another 5 year window for the franchise in a single move. It’ll likely gut the farm in terms of picks and one of Zary/Pelletier... but you’re kicking in a window where a door was before. The issue here, is do we think we’re one dominant player away? Like this defensive group just hasn’t been where it needs to be over the past 5-6 games, and this forward group has looked miserable as well.

2) You start from scratch. It means Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Backlund, likely Bennett and then if you can get a King’s ransom for someone like Hanifin (and I don’t mean future, I mean if someone’s offering a young elite centre kind of thing). But you’re looking for centres, with A+ ceilings, and you’re looking for defenders with the same. You’re not moving anyone for spare parts or what-ifs. First round picks only help if they’re top 10. Moving guys for picks in the 15’s+ are rarely as valuable as our board makes them seem

For all the shit someone like Tkachuk takes, and deservedly for his play this year, the guy’s GAF meter is always sky high. His interviews before and after games show how much this guy takes this personally, and how much he cares. If you can start a rebuild with him, Lindholm, Dube, Mangi and the three young studs on D, you’re setting yourself up well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Those players need to go.
How the f*** can Marchand play like an absolute Rat every season, and he has some of the classiest dudes in the league standing up for him in Boston. You’ve never heard how Bergeron isn’t a fan of what Marchand does, or when Chara was there.

Imagine being a manager for a company, where one sales guy frustrates the hell out of his competitors, where you’re constantly having to stick up for him and fight battles for him... but he’s also your highest producing guy.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

I like his antics but the rate at which he pulls them turns games into an uphill battle for the team more often than not. It's especially annoying when he pulls a stunt and then goes quiet on the scoresheet on the night/playoff series.

LA used to be a free 2 points on the schedule. Now they always come in hungry to beat us. Got to know when to pick your spots. It's why Corey Perry was the supreme rat

Reactions: TheHudlinator

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Those players need to go.
How the f*** can Marchand play like an absolute Rat every season, and he has some of the classiest dudes in the league standing up for him in Boston. You’ve never heard how Bergeron isn’t a fan of what Marchand does, or when Chara was there.

Imagine being a manager for a company, where one sales guy frustrates the hell out of his competitors, where you’re constantly having to stick up for him and fight battles for him... but he’s also your highest producing guy.

When Marchand was licking dudes there was reports of Bergeron pulling him aside and telling him to knock that shit out. I think Tkachuk has spent more time trying to start shit than just making a smart hockey play. I assume Gaudreau is one of the guys that doesn't want every game to devolve into a line brawl and I think it's on chucky to find a way to play between the whistles effectively. That's not to say he can't bring passion to the game but maybe not every night needs to end with a wtf play from Tkachuk.

Reactions: User1996

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This could have been so easy.

After the embarrassment of the Colorado series, you trade Monahan for a RHS RW, hire a proper coach and go from there with a more balanced team
I really don't know how that wasn't done, especially after the season Monahan was coming off (knowing that in reality he was not an 80+ point center).

Could have picked up a legit top line RW and probably some other pieces as well.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

After the embarrassment of the Colorado series, you trade Monahan for a RHS RW, hire a proper coach and go from there with a more balanced team
Trading your closest thing to a 1C for a winger would put you in a worse spot.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Trading Monahan isn't the be-all-end-all fix that people seem to think it is. Is trading Monahan going to make it so the team doesn't quit every other month? Like, cool get another RW that the team will disappear around. The idea that Monahan is the issue, or that getting a coach would fix compete level and the fact the team isn't as good as we hoped is baffling.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Lindholm is closer to a 1C than Monahan.
That’s debatable, but in the context of this conversation:

Lindholm had not even ever played C with the Flames after the Colorado series. The proposition that trading Monahan after that series was an easy choice is completely unfounded.

Hindsight is 20/20 but like, such a weird conversation to have given Lindholm was a top 6 RHS RW and not a C at that point.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That’s debatable, but in the context of this conversation:

Lindholm had not even ever played C with the Flames after the Colorado series. The proposition that trading Monahan after that series was an easy choice is completely unfounded.
It would have been an easy choice for me, without the benefit of retrospect.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
When Marchand was licking dudes there was reports of Bergeron pulling him aside and telling him to knock that shit out. I think Tkachuk has spent more time trying to start shit than just making a smart hockey play. I assume Gaudreau is one of the guys that doesn't want every game to devolve into a line brawl and I think it's on chucky to find a way to play between the whistles effectively. That's not to say he can't bring passion to the game but maybe not every night needs to end with a wtf play from Tkachuk.
Marchand licking a dude was completely outside the realm of any form of hockey play that was done before and is incomparable to what Tkachuk has done. Telling someone not to look another player because it's nasty is not within the realm of not wanting a guy to drag you into the battle and make you care about the team you play for.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Marchand licking a dude was completely outside the realm of any form of hockey play that was done before and is incomparable to what Tkachuk has done. Telling someone not to look another player because it's nasty is not within the realm of not wanting a guy to drag you into the battle and make you care about the team you play for.

I never said it was my point was Bergeron does tell Marchand when he thinks he has gone to far, most likely why Marchand has really cleaned up his play the last few years.

Tkachuk is just as capable of playing effective hard nosed hockey just like his brother but this year he is clearly not interested in playing that way, he has stopped driving the net, he tries really fancy passes instead of getting a shot on net and battling for rebounds, and he has had some pretty giveaways especially in the d zone.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
How am I biased? Because I think he is overrated?

That doesn't make me biased that just means I have a different opinion than others.
Call it whatever you want. Assuming that Lindholm was closer to a 1C than Monahan after the Colorado series when he had yet to play C for the Flames and was nothing close to a 1C for the Hurricanes would be foolish.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Call it whatever you want. Assuming that Lindholm was closer to a 1C than Monahan after the Colorado series when he had yet to play C for the Flames and was nothing close to a 1C for the Hurricanes would be foolish.
I had watched Lindholm play a lot as a Hurricane, and was on record before the trade that he was already a better player than Monahan. People thought I was foolish then as well.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yes, but you’re clearly very biased

I'd argue a non Flames fan who saw Lindholm play and Monahan play most of their careers (including Lindholm's stints at center in Carolina) is less biased than any of the homers here, myself included.

I do think Lindholm lacks dynamicism as a center himself, though.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I never said it was my point was Bergeron does tell Marchand when he thinks he has gone to far, most likely why Marchand has really cleaned up his play the last few years.

Tkachuk is just as capable of playing effective hard nosed hockey just like his brother but this year he is clearly not interested in playing that way, he has stopped driving the net, he tries really fancy passes instead of getting a shot on net and battling for rebounds, and he has had some pretty giveaways especially in the d zone.
Oh yeah, don't disagree at all. Tkachuk is playing terribly right now regardless of a lack of physicallity with a weak stick in the defensive zone that leads to turnovers. I think with Tkachuk if he starts shit between whistles with being hard nosed that actually gets the team going, but doing stuff after the game is just deflating and pointless. I feel like apart of it is that Bergeron would be clear with "Don't lick guys but keep playing your game. If you're gonna cause havoc do it because you played hard and within the rules"

Whereas it sounds like Tkachuk was told "we don't want a track meet every night" which implies he shouldn't play hard? That he shouldn't drive to the net? I'm sure the team meant "Don't be embarrassing and try to punk guys after we just lost" but the message is lost there. That's mostly conjecture but it wouldn't be surprising imo

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Elliotte Friedman on 31 Thoughts podcast this morning re the Flames situation:
  • Elliotte Friedman states it all started with the Muzzin puck incident
  • They had an internal meeting after that and it went sideways after that
  • Tkachuk was frustrated, he feels that some of his teammates didn't want him creating something every game.
  • Tkachuk is confused with that as that is how he plays the game, causing chaos and getting everyone involved
  • Markstromm charged down the ice, twice. Elliotte thinks it's to send a message that "we are not playing hard enough"
  • Elliotte says that the Calgary group is not playing for each other
  • Brad Treliving is making calls on a lot of guys. Not only for Sam Bennett.
  • Elliotte says Calgary are looking at this as "It's time to change our group" (Hard to do due to Border-- but they are trying to change there group)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig