Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Something that's been bothering me for a while is, while Lindholm himself has looked good at center, has anyone else actually looked better with him? Is this just a matter of time being needed to build chemistry or is there something about his particular style that doesn't agree with the guys we have?

FWIW, complaints I read from Canes' fans about Lindholm at C always seemed to revolve around the use or lack thereof, of his linemates. That would be a long time ago though, of course. Just comes to mind.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
FWIW, complaints I read from Canes' fans about Lindholm at C always seemed to revolve around the use or lack thereof, of his linemates. That would be a long time ago though, of course. Just comes to mind.
I just thought it might be worth while discussing, considering everyone wants to know whats wrong with Tkachuk. Since Tkachuk is producing at nearly twice the rate on the PP, that he did last year, it makes me wonder if the problem is actually Tkachuk.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just thought it might be worth while discussing, considering everyone wants to know whats wrong with Tkachuk. Since Tkachuk is producing at nearly twice the rate on the PP, that he did last year, it makes me wonder if the problem is actually Tkachuk.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Tkachuk other than what Friedman is reporting. I think he is/was feeling that he was not able to play his game and do the things that we have all come to love about him. He is such a skilled player, that he is going to be very effective on the PP. But in terms of 5on5 play, he needs to be given the green light to be himself.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think its a systems thing for Tkachuk. He's not very fleet of foot and at 5v5 with the emphasis on chipping in pucks he's not going to get a lot of touches and in general it's leading to low event hockey (his xGF/60 is down, but his xGA/60 is also down - his xGF% is essentially identical to what it was last year). So on that basis alone it would probably be wise to expect a reduction in production for Tkachuk.

We're also seeing a bit of regression to the mean - his last two seasons he far outperformed vs expected goals. This year he's coming in a bit below. He should probably outperform expected goals by a bit, but not by the margins he has been in the last two years.

With this type of system, he really shouldn't be expected to produce more than 55-65 points unless he goes nuts on the PP.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Aquire Rickard Rakell and win Cup.

Love Tkachuk but he's not the guy you build around. He doesn't skate well enough, period, full-stop. Neither do Lindholm or Monahan to be honest.

There's a lot of context missing in those Friedman 31 thoughts comments. I wouldn't want Chucky to change his game but to start the season it was tiring he was always trying to stir up shit in the last minute of a game already lost. Do it in the first minute when it might make a difference. Plus he was really just playing like crap on top of that. I think he's started to turn it around and should have a nice month.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Love Tkachuk but he's not the guy you build around. He doesn't skate well enough, period, full-stop. Neither do Lindholm or Monahan to be honest.
Agree with this completely; realistically the Flames aren't a team who can "build around someone" they need to acquire and hang onto talent that gives them a strong group, instead of one player that can be relied upon to go out and win games. Flames don't have a Matthews/McDavid/Pettersson/Hedman/Kucherov etc. on the roster currently, and they should be looking to supplement the team with a strong overall forward and defensive group, where any line can be relied upon to win games (and Rakell fits that M.O. perfectly.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Aquire Rickard Rakell and win Cup.

There's a lot of context missing in those Friedman 31 thoughts comments. I wouldn't want Chucky to change his game but to start the season it was tiring he was always trying to stir up shit in the last minute of a game already lost. Do it in the first minute when it might make a difference. Plus he was really just playing like crap on top of that. I think he's started to turn it around and should have a nice month.
I think adding a guy like Rakell or Arvidsson could make a bunch of sense depending where this team is in a couple weeks. The game last night gave me hope we can go on a run and get back into it.

I think my preference would be Arvidsson at this point honestly. Good shooter like Rakell, but a bit higher energy. Tenacious player that plays with some pace. Could be exactly what this top 6 needs. But either of them are good adds.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Arvidsson for Monahan

who says no?

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Arvidsson
Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Nord-Gawdin-Leivo

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Tkachuk can be every bit as impactful as Iginla was. Where we failed with Iggy was getting him that franchise caliber C.

Keep Lindy, Chucky and Gaudreau, get them Eichel and watch out.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Arvidsson for Monahan

who says no?

Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Nord-Gawdin-Leivo
The only things that makes me pause on that deal are the centre depth after this year woud struggle, and that Arvidsson is a guy you're looking to miss for a few games every season. Bottom 6 we have Bennett and Ryan as our regular guys on the out at centre, means we could be losing up to 3 of our regular centremen and needing to replace them. And then we would still need to find a guy who can step in on that top line for 20-30 games. I mean, we just saw what happened when monahan was out and we didn't have a comparable right wing to be there.

Then, another thing I thought of is the makeup of that centre group doesn't feel right to me. Lindholm at C plays a low impact game both ways, Backlund has speed but is used in a checking role, Bennett is what he is at this point on the 3rd line. Point being; we don't have the offensively minded centre to pair with Gaudreau that it feels would get the most out of his offensive capabilities. I feel like if we got a depth centre in the deal (Cousins, maybe?), then used the money to go after a solid RW it could make sense.

All in all I think it works better as an offseason deal where we can take advantage of cap coming off the books and fill the holes related to Monahan's departure. Also can't see Nashville trading for another centre and giving themselves a total of $22 million tied up in Johanson - Duchene - Monahan with htem not having a real 1C in that group. They'd probably be open to bringing in Monahan if they found a way to offload one of those two guys but in the current set up there wouldn't be much desire for them to bring in another centre

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Arvidsson for Monahan

who says no?

Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Nord-Gawdin-Leivo
Flames say no and quite easily. Trading Monahan for an older, less productive, 5'9 RW might just win the fail post of the day.
Counter:
Johnny, Hanifin + Bennett
For
Forsberg, Arvidsson + Ekholm

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Arvidsson for Monahan

who says no?

Flames pretty quickly. Especially with an unresolved Bennett situation. Unless it's resolved. Is it resolved? Let's just pretend it never happened.

Like @Mazatt said above. Another top 6 forward to supplement our existing one is what we should be after. You win with great depth, you make the playoffs with good.

I think adding a guy like Rakell or Arvidsson could make a bunch of sense depending where this team is in a couple weeks. The game last night gave me hope we can go on a run and get back into it.

I think my preference would be Arvidsson at this point honestly. Good shooter like Rakell, but a bit higher energy. Tenacious player that plays with some pace. Could be exactly what this top 6 needs. But either of them are good adds.

I just wonder what he'll cost, has 3 years left after this season at a reasonable price instead of 1. I do like him too. Nashville might be a good team to talk to generally, they are having a real shit start.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What exactly are the Flames gonna give up for Eichel? Monahan?
It would take Tkachuk + Monahan +

I highly doubt it. Once Eichel asks for a trade, the Sabres have already lost the deal. They’ll never get anything close back to what Eichel is. Why would a team trade a similar caliber player, it makes no sense. Just look at similar deals in the past, EA hockey trades don’t happen in real life. Any team trading for Eichel is going to want to add him to what they already have.

I could see the Flames offering Monahan + Hanifin/Valimaki + Pelletier/Zary and 1st + 1st/2nd.

And honestly that’s an extremely strong offer.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I highly doubt it. Once Eichel asks for a trade, the Sabres have already lost the deal. They’ll never get anything close back to what Eichel is. Why would a team trade a similar caliber player, it makes no sense. Just look at similar deals in the past, EA hockey trades don’t happen in real life. Any team trading for Eichel is going to want to add him to what they already have.

I could see the Flames offering Monahan + Hanifin/Valimaki + Pelletier/Zary and 1st + 1st/2nd.

Their problem is Skinner

imagine paying him $9M for 7 more years? Lucic is a bargain compared to that

they may have to give eichel away just to get rid of skinner

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I don't think there's a chance that they even consider that package, just way to many magic beans there. It seems very unlikely, to me, that the Sabres would consider moving Eichel before expansion and if they do, it'll be for actually NHL players. I don't think that there's much mystery left in Monahan or interest in Hanifin. Its very possible that they view Valimaki as the most intriguing part of the package and I don't think that is overly enticing for Eichel. Honestly, I think there's probably a dozen teams that would top that offer.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think both teams but there's no way a team will be successful with 20 million locked up between Skinner and Eichel. Any positive that Eichel provides is lost by carrying that boat anchor

While I agree, that contract was a disaster the day it was signed. Skinner has also clearly been in Krueger's dog-house for a long time now. I would be morbidly curious to see how much (if at all) Skinner would rebound somewhere else. He is never gonna play up to that contract but, I also wouldn't be shocked if Eichel could drag him to being a 25 goal scorer again.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't care if the buyout penalty is 16 years. That contract is getting bought out the second the paperwork goes through

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
While I agree, that contract was a disaster the day it was signed. Skinner has also clearly been in Krueger's dog-house for a long time now. I would be morbidly curious to see how much (if at all) Skinner would rebound somewhere else. He is never gonna play up to that contract but, I also wouldn't be shocked if Eichel could drag him to being a 25 goal scorer again.
I don't know, I don't think so. Right now its almost twice Lucic, with similar production, zero physicality and 7 more years. Best case is that he ends up on the LTIR playing in the west but you can't count on that. Plus he has a full NMC.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
For me, the potential of a back to back draft and a perceived strong 2022 draft class is pretty appealing. You combine that with no pressure to fill the Dome and the looming expiring contracts, its time for a full scale rebuild. Scorched earth but in a more methodical approach, like Sakic in Colorado, ensuring top value.

Keep:
Lindholm
Mangi
Dube
Backlund
Lucic(costs to much to get rid of)
Ras
Valimaki
Tanev
Gio

Move now:
Johnny
Monahan

Move with the right deal:
Tkachuk
Hanifin
Markstrom

With the guys we keep, the returns on the guys we move, our own top picks and the potential maneuverability of a double draft, we should be able to acquire the impact player we need to build around properly, in a timely manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad