Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
By your standard, only Nate McKinnon is a #1C. All the others in the 2013 draft class are not. Barkov isn't, Lindholm isn't, no one in the 2012 draft class qualifies, Draisaitl in 2014 must be (he has 3 more points than Monny, Seguin from 2011 does (he has 631 points, but has played in 200 more games than Monny). Taveres from 2009 has 760 points (373 more games played). That puts him at a.94 ppg pace. Monahan's? .75 (or so) ppg. Not bad.
No by my standards being a 1C isnt judged solely by points lol, especially raw totals when a vastly superior player like Barkov has less games played than Monahan.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScrewNHLOfficiating

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Monahan isn't a 1C. He never was, I wouldn't even want him as my 2C unless I had a selke calibre #1C who took on the tough matchups and PKed.

Monahan is a ~ 50-55 point player (without an elite winger and #1 PP time) who is poor defensively and at carrying the puck. We cannot continue to build around this guy and expect to be a contending team, we need a legitimate #1C and selling high on Monahan would be a massive move towards the future.

As always when this comes up, trading him for what exactly?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
By your standard, only Nate McKinnon is a #1C. All the others in the 2013 draft class are not. Barkov isn't, Lindholm isn't, no one in the 2012 draft class qualifies, Draisaitl in 2014 must be (he has 3 more points than Monny, Seguin from 2011 does (he has 631 points, but has played in 200 more games than Monny). Taveres from 2009 has 760 points (373 more games played). That puts him at a.94 ppg pace. Monahan's? .75 (or so) ppg. Not bad.

You don't really appear to grasp what the expectations of a Number One Center are. Take a look at recent championship centers like Ryan O'Rielly, Niklas Backstrom, Evgeni Kuznetsov, Jonathan Toews, Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron, Pavel Datsyuk, Ryan Getzlaf and of course Crosby/Malkin.

Sean Monahan can't elevate the level of his play, shift-to-shift, battle to battle, stick lift to stick lift, block to block, zone exit to zone exit, pass to pass the way these players can. The more minutes you give this player the more you are sacrificing in these areas because he just isn't that player.

We've put him a cushy spot to produce offensively. And he's a good goal scorer if you set him up. But if he doesn't have a point in a game he is unable to find a way to make an impact.

He ain't a #1 Center. There's only one player on our roster that's able to impose his will on the game that way at the position. And the points/minutes won't tell you who that is.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
In this scenario picks and prospects. Same with Gaudreau 2 year re-tool, IMO kind of like the Avs when they traded Duchene.

Okay fair enough, I think a rebuild is more or less the only scenario moving Monahan makes sense, as trading him for a better Center is highly unlikely to be an option.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As always when this comes up, trading him for what exactly?

I was looking over capfriendly while I was in my office this morning... what could you trade this guy for, which makes you a better team.

No one is overpaying for the dude. The teams that’d want him only have futures... and the futures they’ll give won’t be better than Sean.

I think you could live with Monahan as your 2C. I think we should commit to Lindy as the 1C. He’s the shift to shift impactful forward this team has by a mile. That includes Chucky.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I would try to see if we can get a RHS RW player like Filip Forsberg or Sam Reinhart for Monahan.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Forsberg
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Czarnik
Mangiapane - Backlund - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Janko

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
You don't really appear to grasp what the expectations of a Number One Center are. Take a look at recent championship centers like Ryan O'Rielly, Niklas Backstrom, Evgeni Kuznetsov, Jonathan Toews, Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron, Pavel Datsyuk, Ryan Getzlaf and of course Crosby/Malkin.

Sean Monahan can't elevate the level of his play, shift-to-shift, battle to battle, stick lift to stick lift, block to block, zone exit to zone exit, pass to pass the way these players can. The more minutes you give this player the more you are sacrificing in these areas because he just isn't that player.

We've put him a cushy spot to produce offensively. And he's a good goal scorer if you set him up.

He ain't a #1 Center. There's only one player on our roster that's able to impose his will on the game that way at the position. And the points/minutes won't tell you who that is.

Completely disagree with your assessment of Sean. In 2017, against Anaheim Sean and Sam Bennett were monsters in every game. If it weren't for a bad Brian Elliott, Calgary likely wins that series.

Probably some of the best hockey I have seen Sean and Sam play. If Johnny or Brian would have showed up that series would have went very differently.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Monahan for Dubois.

There is nothing that says Dubois will be any better than Sean. At best it is a lateral move.

It wasn't Dubois last year elevating in the playoffs... It was Duchene and Panarin while Dubois had 5 points and -5 plus minus in 10 games.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Completely disagree with your assessment of Sean. In 2017, against Anaheim Sean and Sam Bennett were monsters in every game. If it weren't for a bad Brian Elliott, Calgary likely wins that series.

Probably some of the best hockey I have seen Sean and Sam play. If Johnny or Brian would have showed up that series would have went very differently.
The guy had 5 powerplay points, he didn't dominate anything and if what he did is our basis for dominating we're never winning anything.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

We've put him a cushy spot to produce offensively. And he's a good goal scorer if you set him up. But if he doesn't have a point in a game he is unable to find a way to make an impact.

I grasp what a #1 center is, but I don't think you do. There aren't too many in the league that would meet your over the top standards.

Reactions: SKRusty

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The guy had 5 powerplay points, he didn't dominate anything and if what he did is our basis for dominating we're never winning anything.

Playing with two forwards who were literally worse than beer leaguers that series didn't help him. He elevated his game during that series and anyone who doesn't see that is blind, biased and quite frankly dumb. Just like anyone who wants to trade him. The worst hockey I have ever seen Gaudreau play was that series and the Avalanche series last year. Ferland was also a complete no show the Anaheim series.

Monahan isn't Crosby, he can't carry two guys when they are incapable of playing at even an ECHL level.

Cool, let's trade Monahan for literally no one who will ever be as good as him, what a move, brilliant! Let's trade for a #1 center! WOW, because in the past 20 years a whopping two (Seguin and Thornton) have been traded and both by complete moron GM's.

For all the brilliant people saying we should trade for a #1 center, name literally one that we could trade for.

Last edited:

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Johnny removing Calgary Flames from his twitter bio a few days before the trade deadline makes me feel confused this morning.

Edit: Looks like it's been re-added. Phew

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Johnny removing Calgary Flames from his twitter bio a few days before the trade deadline makes me feel confused this morning.

Edit: Looks like it's been re-added. Phew

FWIW, he changed it to just '#13' and less than an hour later updated it again to list both the Flames and 'BC' (Boston College, where he was also #13). I am sure all this was, was him trying to figure out how to fit both into the bio character limit lol.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
FWIW, he changed it to just '#13' and less than an hour later updated it again to list both the Flames and 'BC' (Boston College, where he was also #13). I am sure all this was, was him trying to figure out how to fit both into the bio character limit lol.

This seems like a healthy amount of knowledge to have about someone's online activity.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I have extensively gathered this information whilst arguing about it with people on the internet. Shall we debate what is and isn't a song next?

Was just cruising through Brodie's twitter which lead me to his wife's twitter and saw some pictures of the hockey girlfriends/wives. Looks like at the Heritage Classic, Mony's, Ras, Hanifin's gf's and Brodie's wife was hanging out with a girl with #13 on, who I assume is Johnny's girlfriend. Has our prayers been answered, has he shacked up with a Calgarian girl who will force him to stay in Calgary? Or are we doomed and she is actually a devilish American who has come to take our sweet boy back to the cesspool of 'murica.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Was just cruising through Brodie's twitter which lead me to his wife's twitter and saw some pictures of the hockey girlfriends/wives. Looks like at the Heritage Classic, Mony's, Ras, Hanifin's gf's and Brodie's wife was hanging out with a girl with #13 on, who I assume is Johnny's girlfriend. Has our prayers been answered, has he shacked up with a Calgarian girl who will force him to stay in Calgary?

Assuming that's the case hopefully she rides a saddle well and gives good dome.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad