Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I agree; this is Brodie's only ever chance at free agency and he's been a top-pairing defenceman for most of his career at this point. No chance he asks for #1D money (which at this point is $10-11M), but that next tier is not unreasonable.

To be honest, I don't think there is much difference between a realistic ask for Barrie and a realistic ask for Brodie.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Barrie's hit 50+ pts 3 times and would've hit 60 twice if he played a full 82. Offensively gifted Dmen always get paid more. It's not even a question

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Any retool talk is fluff right now. Ownership had to be forced into a rebuild by our aging core and barren prospect pool. The day Treliving proposes a “retool” is the day he’s putting his family photos in a cardboard box cleaning out his office.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The problem isn’t Monahan.

It really is though. Without an elite #1 center this team will be set adrift among the wildcard wreckage until the end of time. He is averaging 17 more seconds of ice than Backlund and is pacing for 55 points.

Watched it with Craig Conroy. Watched it with Olli Jokinen. Watched it with Daymond Langkow. Watched it since we traded Marc Savard for nothing. Until you have a center of Bergeron, Kopitar, (prime) Toews, Crosby/Malkin, Kuznetsov/Backstrom, or a 23 pt in 26 game Conn Smythe winning Ryan O'Rielly's caliber your team is destined to be an also ran. This game was Gaudreau's career in a nutshell.

I don't hate Monahan at all and I don't really need us to trade him for anything that doesn't make sense, but it's clear he is miscast as 1C on a contender. Until Treliving and the Flames find a center better than him, Backlund, Bennett, Ryan, Lindholm and whoever else they'll spin their wheels in the playoffs forever.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It really is though. Without an elite #1 center this team will be set adrift among the wildcard wreckage until the end of time. He is averaging 17 more seconds of ice than Backlund and is pacing for 55 points.

Watched it with Craig Conroy. Watched it with Olli Jokinen. Watched it with Daymond Langkow. Watched it since we traded Marc Savard for nothing. Until you have a center of Bergeron, Kopitar, (prime) Toews, Crosby/Malkin, Kuznetsov/Backstrom, or a 23 pt in 26 game Conn Smythe winning Ryan O'Rielly's caliber your team is destined to be an also ran. This game was Gaudreau's career in a nutshell.

I don't hate Monahan at all and I don't really need us to trade him for anything that doesn't make sense, but it's clear he is miscast as 1C on a contender. Until Treliving and the Flames find a center better than him, Backlund, Bennett, Ryan, Lindholm and whoever else they'll spin their wheels in the playoffs forever.

Ok so how do we get an elite #1C?

Sean is our Phil Kessel. Everyone hates him for what he’s not. Is he an elite 1C? No. Does that mean he doesn’t help us win games? No.

He just takes everybody’s crap because he’s not Patrice Bergeron. Players like that are never available in trade.

Last edited:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Many people on these boards use Ryan O'Reilly as their example of the center Sean needs to be yet many forget it took him 3 clubs and 10 years to get to that point.

St. Louis doesn't have that elite C. Just a buttload of depth.

Backstrom took 11 years with the arguably the best LW in the game. Sid and Malkin two of the best centers of their generation took 9 years to replicate the magic of 2009.

Washington, Pittsburgh in 2017, and St. Louis all had tribulations to start their seasons these years they won the Cup. Pitt fired their coach in January, Washington's starter Holtby lost his starting job to Grubauer, and St. Louis was last in the league at the beginning of January of 19.

Yes Sean and Johnny have had a bad start but that does not preclude the team from coming into form and going on a magical run as is shown by this history. I believe the Flames need to find their second scoring line for them to find a 1a-1b line where depending on the night either is and can be a force.

Calgary is close if Backlund can keep producing and Sean and Johnny get hot.

Most concerning to me right now is how bad the Flames are on the back end without Hamonic and Giordano. The Boston game should have been a win.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Any retool talk is fluff right now. Ownership had to be forced into a rebuild by our aging core and barren prospect pool. The day Treliving proposes a “retool” is the day he’s putting his family photos in a cardboard box cleaning out his office.

A retool does not mean you sell off(thats a rebuild), a retool can be done, by changing out core pieces and making hard decisions.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yes Sean and Johnny have had a bad start but that does not preclude the team from coming into form and going on a magical run as is shown by this history. I believe the Flames need to find their second scoring line for them to find a 1a-1b line where depending on the night either is and can be a force.

Calgary is close if Backlund can keep producing and Sean and Johnny get hot.

Most concerning to me right now is how bad the Flames are on the back end without Hamonic and Giordano. The Boston game should have been a win.

Some time you have to be realistic. It's almost the end of Feb. Even historically, they were never hot in that timeframe.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Some time you have to be realistic. It's almost the end of Feb. Even historically, they were never hot in that timeframe.

Who would have bet on this team?

upload_2020-2-22_9-35-15.png

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
A retool does not mean you sell off(thats a rebuild), a retool can be done, by changing out core pieces and making hard decisions.
Well I guess there’s different kind of retools? Because I keep seeing talk of taking 2 seasons or so of downtime to retool, that’s basically a rebuild, not happening right now.

If they trade Johnny or Mony, it’s going to be a semi rebuild, because I don’t see any viable hockey trades that make the Flames better right now, offseason things open up, but I still don’t see ownership approving any sell moves.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
If we could somehow swing a Joe Thornton/Tyler Seguin type trade to get a elite 1C...my god man.

*Fantasy Cap on*:

At the draft: Monahan+Hanifin+Mangiapane+Brodie’s rights+2020 1st+2021 1st for Eichel+Risto.

Shoot Janko and Hammer into the sun this off season.

Sign Hall+ Vatanen this summer. (Get Hall to take a hometown discount).

Hire Laviolette.

Bring back Czarnik, Quine, Reider, Rinaldo, Benny and Talbot.

Hall-Eichel-Gaudreau
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik
Bennett-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Reider
Quine

Giordano-Andersson
Vatanen-Ristolainen
Valimaki-Kylington
Davidson

Rittich
Talbot

I’m on my phone so I’m not sure if the cap would work out...and our prospect depth would be f***ed for a while but idk I’d definitely do it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If we could somehow swing a Joe Thornton/Tyler Seguin type trade to get a elite 1C...my god man.

*Fantasy Cap on*:

At the draft: Monahan+Hanifin+Mangiapane+Brodie’s rights+2020 1st+2021 1st for Eichel+Risto.

Shoot Janko and Hammer into the sun this off season.

Sign Hall+ Vatanen this summer. (Get Hall to take a hometown discount).

Hire Laviolette.

Bring back Czarnik, Quine, Reider, Rinaldo, Benny and Talbot.

Hall-Eichel-Gaudreau
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik
Bennett-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Reider
Quine

Giordano-Andersson
Vatanen-Ristolainen
Valimaki-Kylington
Davidson

Rittich
Talbot

I’m on my phone so I’m not sure if the cap would work out...and our prospect depth would be f*cked for a while but idk I’d definitely do it.
I doubt if that is enough for eichel....guys like him never get trade unless they request it or massive over pay..,..yeah yeah Gretzky was traded once

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well I guess there’s different kind of retools? Because I keep seeing talk of taking 2 seasons or so of downtime to retool, that’s basically a rebuild, not happening right now.

If they trade Johnny or Mony, it’s going to be a semi rebuild, because I don’t see any viable hockey trades that make the Flames better right now, offseason things open up, but I still don’t see ownership approving any sell moves.

Agreed team is in very tough spot. That's why trevling has not been able to make a decent trade for awhile now even it's clear they need it.

They need a miracle coach....

Reactions: tmurfin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really have no hate for Monahan sliding down into the 2C role, with Backlund being used as a perfect 3C.
Dunno.

The problem is finding that 1C. I think Elias is probably as close to a Bergeron/ROR type centre we have, so many we hive him a shot with Johnny and a different linemate for an extended time?

I just think there's something fundamentally wrong with the team. It sucks when your two top offensive players are of the non-game breaking type and also have little GAF levels. Like, your fine with Ovi not playing behind his own blueline because he's an absolute monster on the other side. Monahan and Gaudreau aren't really like that outside of a single season.

I'd be fine with Monahan or Gaudreau being moved in the offseason for some high potential centres in return. That or hope to God someone like Tyler Seguin comes out and says he wants a trade... or something of the sort.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Many people on these boards use Ryan O'Reilly as their example of the center Sean needs to be yet many forget it took him 3 clubs and 10 years to get to that point.

ROR was more comparable to Bennett or Lindholm than he was to Monahan. Was an elite 2 way center back in Colorado but regularily saw himself on the wing so that Matt Duchene (their version of Monahan) could get all the opportunity to be the #1C that he wasn't. (MacKinnon was another victim of this. Can you believe that ROR - Stastny - MacKinnon was a line? That's two 1Cs they plopped on the wing so that their versions of Backlund and Monahan could thrive).

Buffalo allowed ROR to play down the middle, but it came at the expense of his production at ES because of poor roster construction. A direct parallel to Lindholm's offensive struggles in Carolina and Bennett's offensive struggles with Versteeg and Brouwer. Not remotely comparable to Monahan who's been spoonfed Gaudreau and Ferland and Lindholm and Hudler on his wings.

While we don't have a talent on the level of Nathan MacKinnon, we do have Sam Bennett and Elias Lindholm wasting away due to catering to our slower, less talented version of Matt Duchene.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Sean is our Phil Kessel. Everyone hates him for what he’s not. Is he an elite 1C? No. Does that mean he doesn’t help us win games? No.

He just takes everybody’s crap because he’s not Patrice Bergeron. Players like that are never available in trade.

I don't know. That's not my job. That's what the GM of the Flames should be doing and they have failed at it for 25 straight years now.

I don't hate him at all and recognize he helps win games. It's just also recognizing he's limited as a 1C and the team will always be similarly limited if they insist on playing him as one.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Moving on fron Kessel / Bozak allowed Kadri to thrive in an expanded role, while allowing that org to acquire Auston Matthews. If that's what Monahan's holding us back from... then let's trade him for a Kapanen type prospect.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Monahan for a top 6 RHS RW (or Aho) should have been the backbone of a move last offseason.

Monahan does the hardest part of the game (scoring) extremely well but the rest of his game is too limited to be THE guy.

Lindholm should be this team's #1C. They also should've tried experimenting with that one guy drafted 4th OV as a center but that ship has long sailed now

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Silly question; you get your elite franchise number one centres through the draft, just like every team does. But when your organization/fans are too proud for that, well then, this is what you get; mediocrity.

If the Flames would just have had the guts and foresight to have an "off" year without overreacting, they'd vault into contender status. Much like the Jets did when they were gifted Laine. Or the Avalanche with Makar. But hey, I'm sure things will be fine when the Ducks or Kings draft Byfield or Lafreniere and the Flames trade Gaudreau for scraps and start building around Monahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad