Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I dig it. I have like Frolik last couple of games, but I’ve also like everyone outside of Jankowski (he seems like he doesn’t understand what is going on around him). On one hand I’m excited to get Benny back and see if he flourishes under Ward’s coaching style, but on the other, the boys are rolling and don’t want anything disturbing that :dunno:
Every one playing right now, other than maybe Jankowski (though he's been good recently) is doing well and we're meshing well. I mean, we just won a game with Rieder as a first liner and there's a chance he, or Frolik or Rinaldo (both with 3 points in their last 2 GP) end up sitting. Pretty crazy how well the depth is playing.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When Bennett comes back Ward should play him as the 4th line center. See how he does there and if he does well... "think" about moving him up to another line. After all, its not like he was setting the world on fire before he got hurt. 3 goals and 2 assists in 20 games as well as 20 minutes in penalties.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I was watching SportsNet Central with Burkie and Friedman. Friedman reported that the salary cap may move up fairly significantly next year. The thought occurred to me that the Flames are in the position to keep their pending UFA's until the end of the season (if they choose to) and consider resigning one or all next season (if they choose to) or trade one or two at the trade deadline (if they choose to). The message is that if next year's cap is going up, they have room to maneuver.

Aug 3, 2010
I was watching SportsNet Central with Burkie and Friedman. Friedman reported that the salary cap may move up fairly significantly next year. The thought occurred to me that the Flames are in the position to keep their pending UFA's until the end of the season (if they choose to) and consider resigning one or all next season (if they choose to) or trade one or two at the trade deadline (if they choose to). The message is that if next year's cap is going up, they have room to maneuver.
Just curious - which option would you like Calgary to pursue in the off-season (if they choose to)?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Just curious - which option would you like Calgary to pursue in the off-season (if they choose to)?

I’d re-sign Brodie ideally 4 years. Let Hamonic and Frolik walk, look at signing a cheaper 3rd pairing RD and depth forward in free agency

Mangi will need a bit of a raise and if I’m BT I’m trying to lock Andersson up long term on a bit of a bargain deal. Pay him a bit more now so that it’s a steal down the line, we’ll have the room to make that work

I might take a look at Pageau too if his ask isn’t too ridiculous. Hypothetically if we could have something resembling

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Pageau/Dube-Pageau/Dube
Mangiapane-Backlund-Bennett
Lucic-Ryan-XXXX

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington/Gudas

I’d be pretty happy. You can re-sign Talbot or if Rittich is going to play as much as he has this year you can probably replace him internally with a cheaper option

We might get priced out of Pageau in which case it would be good to add a middle 6 forward

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Well right now I'd extend Brodie in season at 5M. I'd sign Stone to another 1 year contract at 700K. I'd extend Mangiapane at about 1M. I'd extend Rasmus at $3.875M (Hamonic's current salary) and qualify Kylington. I'd resign Davidson. I'd resign Talbot if he is cheap enough. If not, bu-bye. I'd trade Hamonic at the deadline unless we're in the thick of things. Then consider signing him in the off season. If he doesn't we benefit from the 'rental' during the play-offs.

As far as forwards go, say goodbye to Frolik, Jankowski, Rinaldo, and maybe Reider. I'd re-sign Czarnik.

Presumably there's be spare change around to upgrade the RW spot, but I'll hedge and say this is very dependent on the progress of players currently playing on their off wing (Mangiapane, Dube, Gaudreau).

Aug 3, 2010
Well right now I'd extend Brodie in season at 5M. I'd sign Stone to another 1 year contract at 700K. I'd extend Mangiapane at about 1M. I'd extend Rasmus at $3.875M (Hamonic's current salary) and qualify Kylington. I'd resign Davidson. I'd resign Talbot if he is cheap enough. If not, bu-bye. I'd trade Hamonic at the deadline unless we're in the thick of things. Then consider signing him in the off season. If he doesn't we benefit from the 'rental' during the play-offs.

As far as forwards go, say goodbye to Frolik, Jankowski, Rinaldo, and maybe Reider. I'd re-sign Czarnik.

Presumably there's be spare change around to upgrade the RW spot, but I'll hedge and say this is very dependent on the progress of players currently playing on their off wing (Mangiapane, Dube, Gaudreau).
Interesting, lots of pieces moving.

Might not keep Brodie, unless his price was cheaper. Inconsistencies from season to season and proof that Giordano is the pair carrier means Brodie has less value as he gets older. I'd keep Rinaldo out of the forwards you mentioned, as he can skate/agitate, and Frolik as well, but resigned at a bottom-six price tag.

This would give Calgary a hefty chunk of change to play with in the off-season.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Interesting, lots of pieces moving.

Might not keep Brodie, unless his price was cheaper. Inconsistencies from season to season and proof that Giordano is the pair carrier means Brodie has less value as he gets older. I'd keep Rinaldo out of the forwards you mentioned, as he can skate/agitate, and Frolik as well, but resigned at a bottom-six price tag.

This would give Calgary a hefty chunk of change to play with in the off-season.
Brodie still is an elite skater and despite the occasional brain fart, he remains a very good D-man. So far this season he is at his career CF% (50.8) and slightly above his career OZone % starts (48.9). I don't think he'll drop off of these stats for many years and I can't see him loosing a step. He can play LD/RD so his usefulness to the team is high.

Yes I fretted over keeping Rinaldo. I keep waiting for him to go ape-shit one day and getting another suspension. If he sticks to playing hockey maybe. We also have a loyal soldier in Stockton doing everything he can do to get promoted. Lomberg is 4 years younger, about the same size, and plays the same high energy game. He fights and he scores. He doesn't have Rinaldo's crazy eyes or reputation though and that goes a long way these days. Teams give Zac time and space.

I honestly wouldn't mind keeping Frolik at a cheaper rate. The only problem I have is that guys in Stockton that are on a three year development cycle need to know they can earn a spot with the big club. Frolik is standing in their way and right now the Flames could get value for him if traded.

Aug 3, 2010
I honestly wouldn't mind keeping Frolik at a cheaper rate. The only problem I have is that guys in Stockton that are on a three year development cycle need to know they can earn a spot with the big club. Frolik is standing in their way and right now the Flames could get value for him if traded.
I don't see that at all. In both opinions, Jankowski and Rieder are moving. I'm guessing Stone is gone as well. That already creates room for players in the system to challenge for open spots, and Frolik seems to be an even-keeled veteran, even if he's not producing. Again, at bottom-six cap dollars and reasonable 2-3 year term, he would provide great two-way presence.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Stone is a cheap RD and is playing very well. The Flames should re-sign him for another year. Even if they don't they're still retaining salary on him. I could see keeping Reider if he continues to improve. He didn't cost the Flames anything. Trading Janko for another asset would be the thing to do. Gawdin may be ready next year. Quine could step in easily.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Right now, by himself, Frolik has zero trade value.
What are we Oilers fans?
Fro is playing the best hockey he has played since arriving in Calgary. The PK went in the crapper for the game Janks was out with illness.

Czarnik should be riding the pine until an opportunity presents itself. He has been passed on the depth chart by Dube. Bennett when he comes back should take Rieder's spot.

More importantly looking forward the Flames should be starting to eye a return date for Valimaki. I think there are trades out there that will make Calgary much better.

Gaudreau for Hall with a conditional first going to NJ if Hall re-signs and/or if we win the cup. Trading Johnny closer to home for a solid shot to re-sign Hall would be a huge step in the right direction.

Hoffman, Granlund, Eric Staal and others will likely be available for younger players like Janks and Czarnik and a middle round pick. Brodie, Kylington, or Hamonic could be moved out for even greater returns. With too many seats for chairs it is time to upgrade the quality in the line-up.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
What are we Oilers fans?
Fro is playing the best hockey he has played since arriving in Calgary. The PK went in the crapper for the game Janks was out with illness.

Czarnik should be riding the pine until an opportunity presents itself. He has been passed on the depth chart by Dube. Bennett when he comes back should take Rieder's spot.

More importantly looking forward the Flames should be starting to eye a return date for Valimaki. I think there are trades out there that will make Calgary much better.

Gaudreau for Hall with a conditional first going to NJ if Hall re-signs and/or if we win the cup. Trading Johnny closer to home for a solid shot to re-sign Hall would be a huge step in the right direction.

Hoffman, Granlund, Eric Staal and others will likely be available for younger players like Janks and Czarnik and a middle round pick. Brodie, Kylington, or Hamonic could be moved out for even greater returns. With too many seats for chairs it is time to upgrade the quality in the line-up.

What? I mean he’s had a good week but I don’t see how anyone could see this. Given his cap hit he’d be a tough sell without retention given how cap strapped contending teams are. I love Fro but he’d definitely be tough to move. There were lots of rumors that Treliving tried and failed this summer

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Hoffman, Granlund, Eric Staal and others will likely be available for younger players like Janks and Czarnik and a middle round pick
No. Just, no. Trading for and signing and injury prone player which has shown the ability to carry a team once for the player who has practically been our only offensive option until last year is not a step in the right direction, let alone adding in a first for who knows what value. Losing our top scorer for a "solid shot to re-sign Hall" is not at all what we should be doing.

As for the second part, I don't see how trading Czarnik or Jankowski, no matter how many middle picks we get back, is going to get us any of the above players. Florida is hoping to compete soon and getting maybe players for a top 6 winger isn't good value for them, Granlund, despite his poor production to start the year, was traded for Fiala who was trending as a top 6er before this year (in a move that was considered very bad for Minnesota), and again, Eric Staal is getting got by Czarnik or Jankowski. Minnesota is in a weird state of contending/rebuilding and trading one of their most valuable older pieces for spare parts doesn't scream great value to me.

Reactions: Dack

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

InfantileAcademicBrownbear-size_restricted.gif

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What are we Oilers fans?

There is so much wrong with this post that I'm almost speechless and I just don't have the energy to argue against such ridiculous comments. Therefore, I will leave it in the very capable hands of crackdown44 and Mazatt (and I'm sure there will be many others) as they are doing a wonderful job of tearing apart your argument.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
No. Just, no. Trading for and signing and injury prone player which has shown the ability to carry a team once for the player who has practically been our only offensive option until last year is not a step in the right direction, let alone adding in a first for who knows what value. Losing our top scorer for a "solid shot to re-sign Hall" is not at all what we should be doing.

As for the second part, I don't see how trading Czarnik or Jankowski, no matter how many middle picks we get back, is going to get us any of the above players. Florida is hoping to compete soon and getting maybe players for a top 6 winger isn't good value for them, Granlund, despite his poor production to start the year, was traded for Fiala who was trending as a top 6er before this year (in a move that was considered very bad for Minnesota), and again, Eric Staal is getting got by Czarnik or Jankowski. Minnesota is in a weird state of contending/rebuilding and trading one of their most valuable older pieces for spare parts doesn't scream great value to me.

2015-16Edmonton OilersNHL 82263965-454|
CanadaWC 1063982|
2016-17New Jersey DevilsNHL 72203353-932|
2017-18New Jersey DevilsNHL 763954931434|PLAYOFFS5246-16
2018-19New Jersey DevilsNHL 33112637-616|
2019-20New Jersey DevilsNHL 3061925-1120|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1 season in the last 5 with a significant injury.... Injury prone?

Hall did well on a line-up that was not even supposed to make it to the playoffs. 6 points in 5 games is better than Johnny's 6 points in his last 14 games. There has been no spirit from Johnny in the last 2 playoff rounds. Hall on the other hand was a difference maker on every shift.

Granlund is a UFA so Nashville will miss the playoffs (likely) and lose a player for nothing? The Wild are likely bound for a similar fate and will want to move older pieces for younger prospects where they can.

There is so much wrong with this post that I'm almost speechless and I just don't have the energy to argue against such ridiculous comments. Therefore, I will leave it in the very capable hands of crackdown44 and Mazatt (and I'm sure there will be many others) as they are doing a wonderful job of tearing apart your argument.

Rare event. Turn about is fair play.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hall did well on a line-up that was not even supposed to make it to the playoffs. 6 points in 5 games is better than Johnny's 6 points in his last 14 games. There has been no spirit from Johnny in the last 2 playoff rounds. Hall on the other hand was a difference maker on every shift.

Granlund is a UFA so Nashville will miss the playoffs (likely) and lose a player for nothing? The Wild are likely bound for a similar fate and will want to move older pieces for younger prospects where they can.

Rare event. Turn about is fair play.

Hall is the most overrated player on HF. Hall has outscored Johnny ONCE and is an absolute joke in his own zone (much, much worse then Gaudreau). Better then the deal around Eberle like you were talking about in the summer

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
2015-16Edmonton OilersNHL82263965-454|CanadaWC1063982|2016-17New Jersey DevilsNHL72203353-932|2017-18New Jersey DevilsNHL763954931434|PLAYOFFS5246-162018-19New Jersey DevilsNHL33112637-616|2019-20New Jersey DevilsNHL3061925-1120|1 season in the last 5 with a significant injury.... Injury prone?

For Hall, he has had one playoff series in his career, and put up comparable numbers to Sam Bennett last year. I don't think I'm comfortable trading our superstar for someone who has 1 more point than him this season. A short sample size of playoff games won't change that. Also, what? Did you miss all of game 5 where Gaudreau was doing everything he could to try and get the Flames on the board? You don't get 3 breakaways and a penalty shot by being lazy and not showing spirit.

In Hall's career he has played a full season once, and has played 3 season without playing 60 games. He is a lock to miss some games every season he plays, and paying him possibly up to twice what Gaudreau is making right now on a long term deal isn't appealing to me. Neither is the fact that he was in the league 3 whole years before Gaudreau was and has played about 170 more games than him (Johnny also has a higher P/GP than Hall over their careers.)

As for Granlund and Staal, yes, it is more likely than not at the moment neither of them making the playoffs, but that doesn't mean they're going to accept bargain bin players that are bordering on not being on a teams roster (Jankowski), or a player that has not shown enough talent at the NHL level to warrant being worth a big piece (Czarnik). They'll try and get players of actual value for their UFA's. This is like saying we should trade Hamonic for Christopher Ehn because Hamonic is UFA so we want to get some value for him.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Hall is the most overrated player on HF. Hall has outscored Johnny ONCE and is an absolute joke in his own zone (much, much worse then Gaudreau). Better then the deal around Eberle like you were talking about in the summer
Yeah it is horrible that I want players that do something in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad