Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
What a dumb post. Like, what a monumentally stupid thing to type down. Did you think at all before saying that the Flames issue recently is Hathaway, Ferland, and Engelland being gone (ignore how he traded Ferland for a player who has sand paper in his game), and that Bennett would presumably be dropped for nothing? The article says that they are laughing at lowball offers and somehow you get that the Flames hate grit?

It's almost as if that poster has never made one single positive post about the Flames.

It's almost as if Engelland wasn't a total liability defensively, it's almost as if Ferland wasn't a complete no show 85% of the time, it's almost as if Hathaway was a 4th liner who wanted too much term.

Oh wait.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Yeah, just trade Bennett, cant have players with some sandpaper in their game.

Hathaway, Ferland, Engelland gone, better get rid of Bennett next.
Hathaway priced himself out of re-signing with the Flames.

Engelland was selected by Vegas at the expansion draft.

Ferland was traded for a clear upgrade at forward position.

Keep going though.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hathaway priced himself out of re-signing with the Flames.

Engelland was selected by Vegas at the expansion draft.

Ferland was traded for a clear upgrade at forward position.

Keep going though.

To be fair I'm not sure 1.5 priced Hathaway out of the Flames as much as the term. Tre wasn't willing to go long term like that after Bouma.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
To be fair I'm not sure 1.5 priced Hathaway out of the Flames as much as the term. Tre wasn't willing to go long term like that after Bouma.
Ah, you right. I should have mentioned both the price + the term. Point is it wasn't Hathaway's sandpaper style that was the reason he got let go. I think the team would have happily re-signed him under the right terms.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres fan here. Assuming your season's trajectory doesn't change, and the Flames get a top 10 pick. Treveling would have a shot at Lundell, Stutzle, Holloway, etc. to fill the center position.

Botterill calls after the Sabres make their pick in the 2020 draft and offers Reinhart, Mittelstadt, and the 2021 1st for Monahan. Enough? I'd be willing to move Thompson as well, if it's not enough.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Sabres fan here. Assuming your season's trajectory doesn't change, and the Flames get a top 10 pick. Treveling would have a shot at Lundell, Stutzle, Holloway, etc. to fill the center position.

Botterill calls after the Sabres make their pick in the 2020 draft and offers Reinhart, Mittelstadt, and the 2021 1st for Monahan. Enough? I'd be willing to move Thompson as well, if it's not enough.

Thanks in advance!

Depends largely on what Tre's plans are for the Flames. If he wants to do an accelerated rebuild/retool maybe. Value is probably in the ballpark, just has to make sense in the grand plan so to speak.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Thanks in advance!

In a world where we go full 'rebuild' it makes sense. Or a world where we've somehow acquired a Franchise 1C and want to use Monahan to bolster our depth instead.

I don't think either of those worlds are likely to exist for the Flames anytime soon though.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Thanks in advance!

If we do this we might as well trade Gaudreau too. Honestly we could do worse for Monahan though, if the plan is to rebuild that would be a solid asset base

I also think he’d slot in nicely behind Eichel. He’s not really a play driver himself and therefore he doesn’t work as a 1C without a Gaudreau caliber winger. He could be an ideal 2C though

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Thanks in advance!

If the top 10 pick ends up being Byfield then sure. If not then no. I'd prefer not having a 35 year old Mikael Backlund as our 2nd line center in 4 years, I'd rather have a 29 year old Monahan as our 2nd line center.

It's not about value when it comes to Monahan, the Flames have no center depth at all to speak of. I'd argue he's more untouchable as a Flame than even Tkachuk just because of his position, regardless of whether he is playing wing tonight or not.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Thanks in advance!

We would be moronic to turn this down.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If the top 10 pick ends up being Byfield then sure. If not then no. I'd prefer not having a 35 year old Mikael Backlund as our 2nd line center in 4 years, I'd rather have a 29 year old Monahan as our 2nd line center.

It's not about value when it comes to Monahan, the Flames have no center depth at all to speak of. I'd argue he's more untouchable as a Flame than even Tkachuk just because of his position, regardless of whether he is playing wing tonight or not.

????? Noooooo. This is lopsided for us to the point it's not even funny.

Look at this top 9 sans Monahan and adding Reinhart and Middlestat. That's not even factoring the 2021 first.

JG - Lindholm - X
Tkachuk - Backlund - Reinhart (Split the RHS)
Mangiapane - Middlestat - X (Unless Middlestat is moved to wing)

Usually quality for quantity trades are not worth pursuing, but how the frick do you lose a trade with a package like that for Monahan?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Thanks in advance!
A top 10 pic would be nice... but let me say this: The Calgary Flames will NOT continue their current season's trajectory and finish in the bottom 3rd of the league. This team just has too much talent to fail like that. The Flames WILL make the playoffs and will do so comfortably.
Any top 10 pick they get in July will be the result of a trade.

... nuff said.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
????? Noooooo. This is lopsided for us to the point it's not even funny.

Look at this top 9 sans Monahan and adding Reinhart and Middlestat. That's not even factoring the 2021 first.

JG - Lindholm - X
Tkachuk - Backlund - Reinhart (Split the RHS)
Mangiapane - Middlestat - X (Unless Middlestat is moved to wing)

Usually quality for quantity trades are not worth pursuing, but how the frick do you lose a trade with a package like that for Monahan?

I'm not saying the value isn't in our favour, it is. But look at that center depth. This fanbase wants centers and we're trading our only top 6 center for a winger and a center who at best will never be as good as Monahan.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm not saying the value isn't in our favour, it is. But look at that center depth. This fanbase wants centers and we're trading our only top 6 center for a winger and a center who at best will never be as good as Monahan.

Reinhart is closer to Lindholm lite in terms of centre abilities than pure winger like Bennett. Middlestat is also closer to the centre we had hoped in Janko than pure winger as well. That should be equal to Monahan roster wise in terms of overall effect.

And then we get the 1st. I see where you're coming from in terms of downgrading quality and quantity, but we run away screaming into the night fit as well as value if Buffalo offered a package like that.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames have appointed Director of Player Development, Ray Edwards, as their new Assistant Coach.
To be honest I don't know anything about him but Burke thinks very highly of him. He talked about the promotion today on Hockey Central.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
To be honest I don't know anything about him but Burke thinks very highly of him. He talked about the promotion today on Hockey Central.

He was an AHL Head Coach for a while, and joined us in his player development role in 2015, and we've actually started to have guys graduate since then so I'll take it as a positive lol.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looks like Gelinas will remain on the bench while Edwards takes Gelinas's spot in the eye in the sky press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad