Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Once Bennett and Czarnik are back we could be looking at

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Monahan - Backlund - Gaudreau
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
Bennett - Rieder - Czarnik

With literally anyone on the bottom line being able to play centre.

Also, Stone is pretty bad and I think we're better off playing Kylington with Brodie or Hamonic if we really want a Gio - Ras pairing.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Would you guys trade Jankowski for Byron? Struggling player for struggling player, brings a bit more speed to our lineup.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Would you guys trade Jankowski for Byron? Struggling player for struggling player, brings a bit more speed to our lineup.
Nope. I'm a Small Paulie fanboy, but his time has come and gone with this team. No need to compound the error of waiving him and losing him by giving up a player to get him back.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd rather just see if Czarnik can be our Byron. He perpetually looked like he was in Peters' doghouse for some reason and I'm excited to see what he can do under Ward. He was playing very well before his injury

Last edited:

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Precisely.

I'm no doctor, but when I hear "knee surgery" for a hockey player, I automatically assume 6-8 weeks at minimum.

For someone who relies on their speed and edge work, his effectiveness is going to be hampered for even longer.

Struggling player? Byron has been on the shelf for a while.

I was under the impression he was supposed to be back as soon as this week, and I would call 4 points in 19 games prior to the injury struggling

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I agree. There were what? 20 teams vying for Czarnik's services when he graduated from the AHL and the Flames have treated him like a tweener. Time to play the young man and for more than 8 minutes a game. I don't think he can displace Mangi or Dube at this point, but I have no doubt he can play higher up in the line-up.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really think Benny and Czarnik getting healthy will push this team. If you don't show up, you're not playing.

Dunno:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Bennett
Gaudreau - Monahan - Backlund
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
Mangiapane - Rieder - Czarnik

Calgary might benefit from moving a couple bodies for an upgrade kind of thing?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I really think Benny and Czarnik getting healthy will push this team. If you don't show up, you're not playing.

Dunno:

Lucic - Ryan - Dube

We're also rolling four lines pretty solidly right now. I wouldn't put Bennett on that line when I don't think Mangiapane has lost his right there but that's just me.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I like that Ward has moved away from utilizing a dedicated shut-down line. It's really opened up new offensive possibilities and it's only a matter of time before the goals start coming for Backlund.

Last night players from all four lines got on the scoresheet

Reactions: DFF

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Guys hear me out...

Gaudreau-Dube-Monahan
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Ryan
Lucic-Czarnik-Frolik

I will not be taking any questions or comments at this current juncture. Ryan and Czarnik can be flipped at your leisure. I’m so sorry Tobi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Dunno:

Lucic - Ryan - Dube

I keep envisioning it like a combine going out for the harvest. It's one blade after another on a consistent basis. Combines aren't hard to avoid but they sure are consistent and you for sure don't want to get caught by any of the blades.

I could be wrong, but I also think that Ward is trying to mix the styles together. Rather than an easy, "Oh that's the offensive line vs shut down line." there's significantly more best defense is offense mentality (higher pressure closer to Hartley principles), stronger systems and more creativity. The defense looks to be similar to the committee, watch out for each other Hartley stuff too, but when the team gets back, they seem to somehow figure out how to do a zone system to keep guys at the perimeter. I think it's all new which is why there seems to be more defensive breakdowns on occasion, but I think... that's what I've noticed. Rather than pure collapse in front of the net, it looks like whoever gets back first plays front of the net. If defensive, you stay in front of net. If offense, you go for the pocket pick/rush in your own zone to see if you can quickly push the momentum back in the opposite direction.

I can totally see why Geoff Ward was a HC candidate for us a few seasons ago just prior to the Gully hire. I can see why Gully was selected in front of him (more HC experience, more eloquent on his system and interview). But honestly, I think it all worked out for the best. There's reasons to dislike Gully, but he instilled a ridiculous cycle and defensive systems teaching upon the crew after the system-less type of game Hartley put together. The team needed that at the time. I don't think Ward would have been as effective without the team knowing some defensive systems from Gully and Peters. This is the fine tuning the team needs to go through. I like it. I like it a lot.

I like that Ward has moved away from utilizing a dedicated shut-down line. It's really opened up new offensive possibilities and it's only a matter of time before the goals start coming for Backlund.

Last night players from all four lines got on the scoresheet

I agree. The committee thing is back in play which we haven't seen since Hartley. With the stronger systems under Gully and Peters, it seemed like the team played mechanical and scared to make a mistake. Now that it seems like the system is slightly looser under Ward, we're seeing some interesting stuff. I wonder if Ward will have us play similarly to Gallant, but less physical?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Ward has done an excellent job thinking outside of the box which in itself is a quality that not everyone shares. Peters certainly didn't. He was limited to conservative moves that have worked for him in the past. Except it didn't really work this time and certain young bucks were not given the opportunity to show what they can do (Mangiapane, Dube). Certain older bucks were locked into a behavioural pattern of repeating how they previously played (one year experience X 30 doesn't equal 30 years of experience). So to balance the attack, Ward moved Johnny to 3RW. He moved Backlund to 2RW. He moved Mangiapane to 1RW. Lindholm to 1C, Monahan to 2C. Dube to 2LW. Tkachuk to 1LW. He's showed confidence in keeping Looch as 3LW and keeping him on PP2. He even put Looch out there in the dying seconds of a close game. He played Reider at 4C even when Reider hadn't done that for years. Put in Rinaldo and he scores. All of these moves demonstrated to the players that yeah, the coach has faith in me.

I don't think it will be any different when Bennet and Czarnik return. Except that Ward will have to try and not upset the apple cart and sit players that don't have a role.

So here is my take on a future line-up. The status quo is dead. Normal doesn't live here anymore. Abby Normal (to steal from Young Frankenstein) does. Check your ego's at the door and play for your team and your mates.

Takchuk/Lindholm/Mangiapane
Dube/Monahan/Backlund
Lucic/Ryan/Gaudreau
Bennett/Reider/Czarnik

Jankowski - Bubble boy until he is traded
Frolik - to be traded
Rinaldo

You will note I put Reider in at 4C. I know he has struggled for a good portion of the season. But he impressed me at 4C. He unlocked what we have been missing on that line. Speed through the middle. It was like night and day comparing that to when Jankowski centres the line.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Takchuk/Lindholm/Mangiapane
Dube/Monahan/Backlund
Lucic/Ryan/Gaudreau
Bennett/Reider/Czarnik

Jankowski - Bubble boy until he is traded
Frolik - to be traded
Rinaldo

You will note I put Reider in at 4C. I know he has struggled for a good portion of the season. But he impressed me at 4C. He unlocked what we have been missing on that line. Speed through the middle. It was like night and day comparing that to when Jankowski centres the line.
I dig it. I have like Frolik last couple of games, but I’ve also like everyone outside of Jankowski (he seems like he doesn’t understand what is going on around him). On one hand I’m excited to get Benny back and see if he flourishes under Ward’s coaching style, but on the other, the boys are rolling and don’t want anything disturbing that :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->