Armchair GM IV: What do you mean Internal Cap???

Status
Not open for further replies.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
What is funny about that? Their depth is fine. It's the top-end talent that is lacking in the Wings defensive corps.
He says exactly what fans here are saying and still gets bashed.

We need a big upgrade, not a 3rd pairing d-man.
Yeah, maybe I was laughing at the wrong quote :laugh: I just thought it was funny that he seems to be happy about our defense period, as he's looking for a big forward upgrade, instead of an upgrade on defense.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah, maybe I was laughing at the wrong quote :laugh: I just thought it was funny that he seems to be happy about our defense period, as he's looking for a big forward upgrade, instead of an upgrade on defense.

Once you get in anything can happen.

I like our team.

I kicked tires and made some phone calls but nothing was the right price.

Prepare yourself. My body is ready.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Yeah, it's probably less "happy about our defense" and more "the prices for miniscule upgrades are ridiculous in comparison to the benefit they've give us".

Trading for a cost affordable guy like Tyutin does jack **** for us. Trading for a guy like Trouba or Brodin is very cost prohibitive for what they'd provide because you're paying for potential, not capability.
Trading for what they actually need (a top pairing Dman) is a pyrrhic victory in that if it was even possible, it would gut them so badly as to not be worth it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Once you get in anything can happen.

I like our team.

I kicked tires and made some phone calls but nothing was the right price.

Prepare yourself. My body is ready.

I tend to agree with Holland when he says stuff like this. Why make a deal that really doesn't improve your team at the trade deadline when the prices are generally higher than at the draft or over the summer?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I tend to agree with Holland when he says stuff like this. Why make a deal that really doesn't improve your team at the trade deadline when the prices are generally higher than at the draft or over the summer?

Standing pat is almost worse than lateral trades at this point. If he doesn't see this team contending (which standing pat is a huge sign of) then you sell. Players like Helm, Nyquist and Smith could fetch good returns and help position this team to compete in years to come.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Standing pat is almost worse than lateral trades at this point. If he doesn't see this team contending (which standing pat is a huge sign of) then you sell. Players like Helm, Nyquist and Smith could fetch good returns and help position this team to compete in years to come.

I couldnt disagree more. Standing pat is not worse than lateral trades.

Helm Nyquist Smith are not exactly the same "types of guys".

If Nyquist (top 6) is expendable, then we are in a rebuild. In which case we should be selling all our assets.

Selling Smith might actually be a pretty good move. Opens up a roster spot for a very cheap replacement. EVEN IF XO is worse than smith, his cost savings will be great. Allowing us space.

Holland mentioning that we might have to "go into a rebuild" to me means, as soon as we miss the playoffs, we count as rebuilding.

He sold Kindl contract to create some space.

To be honest TOMMOROW is NOT the time Lindholm's and Vatanen's are traded. ANA wants to win the cup. We want a big name D man, we wait for the offseason to make the deal.

I am actually kinda hoping we are "do nothing" or Selling at the deadline.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
Yeah, it's probably less "happy about our defense" and more "the prices for miniscule upgrades are ridiculous in comparison to the benefit they've give us".

Trading for a cost affordable guy like Tyutin does jack **** for us. Trading for a guy like Trouba or Brodin is very cost prohibitive for what they'd provide because you're paying for potential, not capability.
Trading for what they actually need (a top pairing Dman) is a pyrrhic victory in that if it was even possible, it would gut them so badly as to not be worth it.

Yes, we simply don't have the pieces to make a trade for a 1D. Our best hope is to luck out in the draft or hope one hit free agency; Shattenkirk and Burns next off-season for example :naughty:

Still, players like Vatanen, Brodin, Edler, Enström would be a big upgrade! Yes, they would be slightly more expensive than their forward counterparts, but it would be worth it, IMO.

Also, who fits Hollands description of a big upgrade on forward that gives us a new look, that might be available? Eriksson, Hartnell... who else?

I'm actually one of those rare people that think Holland's doing a good job. I didn't mean to come of as condescending towards him, but I realize I did. I wouldn't be disappointed if we don't make anymore trades at the deadline...

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Yes, we simply don't have the pieces to make a trade for a 1D. Our best hope is to luck out in the draft or hope one hit free agency; Shattenkirk and Burns next off-season for example :naughty:

Still, players like Vatanen, Brodin, Edler, Enström would be a big upgrade! Yes, they would be slightly more expensive than their forward counterparts, but it would be worth it, IMO.

Also, who fits Hollands description of a big upgrade on forward that gives us a new look, that might be available? Eriksson, Hartnell... who else?

I'm actually one of those rare people that think Holland's doing a good job. I didn't mean to come of as condescending towards him, but I realize I did.

Stempniak?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
lets not kid ourselves into thinking that KH will or would make an impactful trade in the summer

I am willing to bet the vast majority of hsi deals for actual nhl players(signed or ufa's) have not been at the draft or mid summer but in fact mid seasons or at the TDL

we tend to think "wait till summer their will be more dance partners" but in fact more teams choose to change direction during the season when their is more pressure and willing counterparts then during the summer when the league kinda closes down shop outside of 1 or 2 days(july 1st and 2nd)

if KH is to in fact do anything for a good player it will be tomorrow, not in june or july or august

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
In the top 8, Detroit is the only team that is a minus for goal differentials. 158 GF is the least in the top 8 also. Detroit really needs some help scoring up front, but it could just be that Tatar + Nyquist need to get out of their funk.

I have a feeling a move is coming tomorrow, Helm, Frk or Pulkkinen (not all in the same deal).

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
In the top 8, Detroit is the only team that is a minus for goal differentials. 158 GF is the least in the top 8 also. Detroit really needs some help scoring up front, but it could just be that Tatar + Nyquist need to get out of their funk.

I have a feeling a move is coming tomorrow, Helm, Frk or Pulkkinen (not all in the same deal).

What if it's not a funk though? What if this is their future because other teams now are able to effectively plan for them and keep them from producing more?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
What if it's not a funk though? What if this is their future because other teams now are able to effectively plan for them and keep them from producing more?

Because Nyquist has the ability to dominate games when his feet are moving.

He hasn't nearly used them enough this year. It's one of those years where he just isn't feeling it IMO. Again, I'm against trading Nyquist unless it's for a really good defenseman. I'm talking about Shattenkirk-esque players. Then again I'm totally biased.

It's not that the opposition is defending him really well, it's just he's struggling at his own fault.

Last night against the Avs he portrayed what he could do when he skates aggressively. Glimpse of the old Nyquist before he went cold.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

It's not like they are a 100% predictable, it's impossible to do that. I do agree that they need some personnel change, especially up front, but just one player should do the trick. I think Nyquist and Tatar still get to 22-23 goals, which would be the average for them.

If they are too predictable, it should become the coach's problem and not necessarily the players.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Interesting. I think the Wings should be on it, some picks and maybe Frk could get it done.

Also, I do apologize for all the posts, I love this time of year and all the speculation!

Last edited:

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Interesting that Holland is considering a rebuild, but I hope it's a controlled one. No need to sell everything off like some teams do. We need one top star-level player on defense and offense. That's it, but obviously it will take a lot to get them. Throw in a couple of bottom sixers with different styles (big bodied grinders, quick feisty guys, etc) and we'll be okay, I think.

We're frustratingly stagnant but we're not a total garbage team in need of blowing up everything. But we DO simply have too many players.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe

Interesting. I think the Wings should be on it, Pulkkinen straight up.

Also, I do apologize for all the posts, I love this time of year and all the speculation!

Really? Do not know much about him, but isn't he basically another Kindl?

Yes, me too, but it's so quiet, only one trade today, right? Boooring ;) Thinking about going to bed (it's getting late in Europe), but do not want to miss the Drouin trade...

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Really? Do not know much about him, but isn't he basically another Kindl?

Yes, me too, but it's so quiet, only one trade today, right? Boooring ;) Thinking about going to bed (it's getting late in Europe), but do not want to miss the Drouin trade...

Trades are done today

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI

And, honestly, losing any one of those guys does not really hurt this team that much right now. We could still get in and make a token run easily. Replace Nyquist with Pulkkinen. Replace Smith with Ouellet. Replace Helm with some stone handed player and we don't miss much of a beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad