Armchair GM IV: What do you mean Internal Cap???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
So how's the prospect outlook on D? I think that's the point, trade from a position of excess to address a shortage. Having Brodin would solidify our left side for years to come with DeKeyser. And I feel like I've heard Brodin can play the right side as well.

I'd do Tatar/Nyquist, Ouellet (don't need another LHD w/ Brodin), Pulkkinen, 1st for Brodin. I mean, isn't this what we've been talking about for years since Lidstrom left? Young top pair D are almost never available. Kenny needs to try and strike while the window of opportunity is open.

We already have a Brodin in Dekeyser.

I'd love to have another but if the cost is Nyquist/Tatar, Pulkkinen, Ouellet and a 1st, I want a HELL of a lot more than Brodin in return.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Brodin won't cost anywhere near that. Better dmen have gone for way less

The most comparable is probably Hamilton. And he has a way better resume. He went for draft picks

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
"maybe a rebuild in inevitable, we're trying to see if we can avoid that."

Never heard KH talk like that

Better than Jim D basically saying we were gonna suck for a few years back in the 00s. :laugh:

That's good though. I'm hoping the reason AA is playing where he is and Helm is on the 4th line is because Kenny wants to see if AA can take over Helm's role. If KenHo is talkin like that, I hope it means he's considering trading FA pieces while he can.

One of Helm and Richards and even Smith or Pulkkimen aren't going to make a difference in our playoff hunt if you ask me.

DD-Q
K-March
E-Green
Ouellet
Lashoff or waiver pick up

Larkin-Z-Ab
Tats-Dats-Nike
AA-Shea-Jurco
Helm/Rich-Glen-Nosek
Andy, Miller, waiver pick up

That's fine.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
"maybe a rebuild in inevitable, we're trying to see if we can avoid that."

Never heard KH talk like that

Woah! Quite shocked he said that to be honest! Interesting.

Better than Jim D basically saying we were gonna suck for a few years back in the 00s. :laugh:

That's good though. I'm hoping the reason AA is playing where he is and Helm is on the 4th line is because Kenny wants to see if AA can take over Helm's role. If KenHo is talkin like that, I hope it means he's considering trading FA pieces while he can.

One of Helm and Richards and even Smith or Pulkkimen aren't going to make a difference in our playoff hunt if you ask me.

DD-Q
K-March
E-Green
Ouellet
Lashoff or waiver pick up

Larkin-Z-Ab
Tats-Dats-Nike
AA-Shea-Jurco
Helm/Rich-Glen-Nosek
Andy, Miller, waiver pick up

That's fine.
This is why I think it's not a good idea to trade Smith. If on or two d-men go down with an injury we're ****ed.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
We already have a Brodin in Dekeyser.

I'd love to have another but if the cost is Nyquist/Tatar, Pulkkinen, Ouellet and a 1st, I want a HELL of a lot more than Brodin in return.

I think Brodin has more upside than DeKeyser. Offensively too. From what I gather from Wild fans, he seems to be tasked with a more shutdown role with the Wild's more 1 dimensional offensive dmen getting the offensive opportunities. But he's a great skater and skilled puck mover.

We may have DeKeyser but Chicago has Seabrook, Keith, AND Hjalmarsson. What's wrong with having DeKeyser and Brodin, even at that cost? Here's my reasoning.

1. Ouellet would be made redundant by this trade so who cares about losing him.

2. Pulkkinen is one of those pieces that we've long talked about being a possible piece in a package. And with Sheahan, Athanasiou, Jurco looking better, and Mantha, Bertuzzi, Frk knocking at the door and with Svechnikov well on his way, Pulkkinen is expendable. And I like Pulkkinen.

3. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a player of Brodin's calibre with a mid-late 1st rounder. Doubt we'll strike gold twice after Larkin.

4. I'd say it's much easier to find a Tatar/Nyquist on the FA market than a Brodin. There's usually at least 1 50ish point guy available. And that's assuming none the aforementioned offensive prospects (including AA/Mantha/Svech) rise up to fill the void.

I think we'd be fortunate and miles better off if we got Brodin at that price.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007

This is why I think it's not a good idea to trade Smith. If on or two d-men go down with an injury we're ****ed.

Any kid can temporarily do well if we have injuries. I'd rather get rid of Smith, see what's available in the summer, and go for quality or quantity. Quantity has only screwed us lately.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Needs context but really it doesn't seem different from what he's been saying for years in terms of how it's hard to rebuild your team without bottoming out but they're trying to.

I think Brodin has more upside than DeKeyser. Offensively too. From what I gather from Wild fans, he seems to be tasked with a more shutdown role with the Wild's more 1 dimensional offensive dmen getting the offensive opportunities. But he's a great skater and skilled puck mover.
He doesn't have more offensive upside. Brodin's never been a big offensive guy, it can't be blamed on his "role" in Minnesota (which has often included playing together with Suter ). If Brodin hits 30 points it's likely a career year for him.

I'd like him, but it hurts our offense too much if we move Nyquist/Tatar for him.

And for what it's worth since people love advanced stats: Brodin's are awful.

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Brodin won't cost anywhere near that. Better dmen have gone for way less

The most comparable is probably Hamilton. And he has a way better resume. He went for draft picks

Hamilton's contract was expiring (although still RFA), on a team he very obviously had no desire to play for, and Boston was pretty universally considered to have lost that trade big time.

Brodin on the other hand is locked down until 2021 at a 4.1M cap hit. That is a GREAT contract. If it helps, imagine we'd have Brodin for 5M (still a good deal) and Ericsson at 3.2M instead of 4.2M. Kills 2 birds with one stone, makes it look like Ericsson is on a decent contract! And we'll have to disagree that Hamilton's resume was anywhere near Brodin's. Hamilton was a complementary D on Boston. Brodin is one of Minny's top 2 guys.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Needs context but really it doesn't seem different from what he's been saying for years in terms of how it's hard to rebuild your team without bottoming out but they're trying to.

He doesn't have more offensive upside. Brodin's never been a big offensive guy, it can't be blamed on his "role" in Minnesota (which has often included playing together with Suter ). If Brodin hits 30 points it's likely a career year for him.

I'd like him, but it hurts our offense too much if we move Nyquist/Tatar for him.

It was.in the latest interview he gave, context is whether we should trade picks and prospects.for older UFA's who likely only have "experience" over what we already have in our young guys.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe

"We'll see what the next (24) hours brings," Holland said. "You never know if you're going to make a deal or not make a deal. I've talked to a number of teams.

"At the end of the day, we're not doing anything in goal. I'm happy with our depth on defense."

If the Red Wings trade, it would be for a forward. They could use some more offense and some size and abrasiveness for their fourth line.

[...]

Hartnell is the kind of agitating, physical player with offensive ability the Red Wings could use, but they're not apt to assume his contract (three more years at a $4.75 million cap hit), especially at age 33.

Beyond those players, could the Red Wings acquire anyone who would be an upgrade over what they have?

"With guys like (Anthony) Mantha and (Tomas) Nosek (in Grand Rapids) and (Teemu) Pulkkinen, (Tomas) Jurco ... for me to make a trade between now and Monday, it's got to be an upgrade on some of our younger players," Holland said. "Sometimes you're better off to sit and hold your cards. Just to bring in a body, if the player is similar to what we got, I don't know that you can justify trading the assets."

[...]

"You're looking for a big upgrade," Holland said. "I don't see us acquiring any depth. I don't want to pay a price for someone that is older but other than experience isn't much better than our kids.

"It's got to be a type of player who's really going to improve us or give us a different look. Our younger players are pretty good. This race to the playoffs is very important, but having an eye to the future is just as important.

"Maybe a rebuild is inevitable. We're trying to figure out if we can avoid that."

edit: willing to find big upgrade on forward, but not on defense? I mean, I think he says some good things: a forward who gives us different look is much welcome. I just think a defensive upgrade should be his priority.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Why would we move the proven piece and keep 5 prospects, none of whom have proven they can produce at an NHL level?

Further, why would we move one of our leading scorers for a defenceman who provides no offence when the biggest challenge the team has is scoring goals?

If any one of those 5 becomes as good as Nyquist it would be a stroke of luck, the success rate of prospects isn't anywhere near as high as people tend to think.

Many reasons:

Because you can't trade spare parts for NHL talent? And because at wing the Red Wings have the best chance of replacing any roster player they have to part with in order to get a defenseman? And because Nyquist and Tatar are pretty much analogous players, but Nyquist seems to be the softer, more expendable of the two. Finally because goal scoring my be an issue this season, but every other season since Lidstrom has retired the issue has been defense. If the Wings expect to ride Mrazek as their main threat in the playoffs, where its much tighter scoring and refs swallow their whistles I'd rather have a better defense than a soft player who seems to shrink in the playoffs.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hamilton's contract was expiring (although still RFA), on a team he very obviously had no desire to play for, and Boston was pretty universally considered to have lost that trade big time.

Brodin on the other hand is locked down until 2021 at a 4.1M cap hit. That is a GREAT contract. If it helps, imagine we'd have Brodin for 5M (still a good deal) and Ericsson at 3.2M instead of 4.2M. Kills 2 birds with one stone, makes it look like Ericsson is on a decent contract! And we'll have to disagree that Hamilton's resume was anywhere near Brodin's. Hamilton was a complementary D on Boston. Brodin is one of Minny's top 2 guys.

I think your confused. Hamilton had to carry Boston while chara and others were injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad