Armchair GM III

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Given some of the contracts being handed out, somebody should have signed Haula by now. I don't want another forward for us. We have enough already and if we sign 1 more we actually have to get rid of somebody to make room. But the way Haula battled in the second half for us last year... if he plays like that, he's a real good player relative to some of the crazy contracts some of these guys are getting.
Depth and competition is something that is never a bad thing.

Honestly, I think it’s 1 for 1 or 1 for 2 at this point in terms of bringing in one more forward and moving out one or two more vets.

I don’t see a spot for Grimaldi on the roster.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Honestly, I think it’s 1 for 1 or 1 for 2 at this point in terms of bringing in one more forward and moving out one or two more vets.

I think that argument worked last year. That's why we signed all the guys we did.

The cool thing about this year though is that I think we are starting to enter an era when we have legit NHL players in Milwaukee. Competition may already be present internally, considering we are already expecting to start guys like Pitlick, Novak, Afanaseyev, Parssinen in the minors.
:dunno:

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
I think that argument worked last year. That's why we signed all the guys we did.

The cool thing about this year though is that I think we are starting to enter an era when we have legit NHL players in Milwaukee. Competition may already be present internally, considering we are already expecting to start guys like Pitlick, Novak, Afanaseyev, Parssinen in the minors.
:dunno:
Pitlick is the only one of those guys that I could see making the roster out of camp, but that should take beating out someone for a spot in the lineup, not sitting on the bench.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Given some of the contracts being handed out, somebody should have signed Haula by now. I don't want another forward for us. We have enough already and if we sign 1 more we actually have to get rid of somebody to make room. But the way Haula battled in the second half for us last year... if he plays like that, he's a real good player relative to some of the crazy contracts some of these guys are getting.

I'm ok with a 1M special or two. I'd like to have strong competition for the roster spots. Make everyone work for it, etc.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Pitlick is the only one of those guys that I could see making the roster out of camp, but that should take beating out someone for a spot in the lineup, not sitting on the bench.
Right, but we have 14 forwards already if you count Tomasino and Glass. And we only need 13. So signing another guy, when we already have our replacements/competition (like Pitlick) in Milwaukee is unnecessary.

I don't think the others can be declared "Ready" yet either... but nor did we think all the guys who stepped up last year were... but they are going to be good enough to push players in training camp and to come up for injury-replacement cameos during the season. We don't need to sign more players to accomplish that.

Reactions: hockey diva

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I wouldn't mind if we're done now, except the backup goalie.

We have five top-six spots filled, with one of them going to Glass/Tomasino/Tolvanen. Two of them will form the third line with a veteran Sissons or Cousins. The Herd Line will be the fourth line again. Pitlick and Grimaldi are depth forwards.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm ok with a 1M special or two. I'd like to have strong competition for the roster spots. Make everyone work for it, etc.
It's only helpful if you are legitimately willing to send them to Milwaukee if they aren't better than Glass/Tomasino. If you feel like you have to keep them around just due to seniority instead, welll.... no thanks.

And anyway, NHL coaches will always think they ARE better than Glass/Tomasino, for a given depth role at least. So if you sign those guys, you are sending Glass/Tomasino to Milwaukee. If that's what you want, ok.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It's only helpful if you are legitimately willing to send them to Milwaukee if they aren't better than Glass/Tomasino. If you feel like you have to keep them around just due to seniority instead, welll.... no thanks.

And anyway, NHL coaches will always think they ARE better than Glass/Tomasino, for a given depth role at least. So if you sign those guys, you are sending Glass/Tomasino to Milwaukee. If that's what you want, ok.

That's why the 1M special. Their contract is free to be buried.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Absolutely. If a Cousins, Haula, Grimaldi, Sissons, Trenin, Jeannot, Olivier are blocking a player like Glass, Tomasino, or Tolvanen then they aren't ready or they're just not good enough. None of that first group are of a caliber that should be preventing a true top 6 quality young player from earning playing time.

Reactions: lugnut76

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Right, but we have 14 forwards already if you count Tomasino and Glass. And we only need 13. So signing another guy, when we already have our replacements/competition (like Pitlick) in Milwaukee is unnecessary.

I don't think the others can be declared "Ready" yet either... but nor did we think all the guys who stepped up last year were... but they are going to be good enough to push players in training camp and to come up for injury-replacement cameos during the season. We don't need to sign more players to accomplish that.
I’m looking to move on from Grimaldi and Cousins. If they re-sign Haula or go for a guy like Heinen, I would look for them to move out a guy in correspondence to each move.

Those are two spots I believe we can find more production from.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean, that contract really kills us, right? We are now a mere $11.7M under the cap with 1 player left to add (likely Glass or Tomasino at 925k).

Forsberg ($6M) - Johansen ($8M) - Duchene ($8M)
Tolvanen (RFA - ?$2M?) - Granlund ($5M) - Kunin ($2.3M)
Trenin ($0.725M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Jeannot (RFA - ?$1M?)
Cousins ($1.5M) - X2 - Grimaldi ($2M)
Olivier (RFA - ?0.750M?)

Josi ($9.059M) - Fabbro (RFA - ?$2M?)
Ekholm ($3.75M) - Carrier ($0.733M)
Harpur ($0.800M) - Myers ($2.55M)
Borowiecki ($2M) - Benning ($1M)

Saros (RFA - ?$4M?)
Rittich ($1.5M)

Buyouts
Turris - $2M
Santini - $0.275M

TOTAL: $69.8M
Whups, Rittich only got $1.25M!!!

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I mean, that contract really kills us, right? We are now a mere $11.7M under the cap with 1 player left to add (likely Glass or Tomasino at 925k).

Forsberg ($6M) - Johansen ($8M) - Duchene ($8M)
Tolvanen (RFA - ?$2M?) - Granlund ($5M) - Kunin ($2.3M)
Trenin ($0.725M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Jeannot (RFA - ?$1M?)
Cousins ($1.5M) - X2 - Grimaldi ($2M)
Olivier (RFA - ?0.750M?)

Josi ($9.059M) - Fabbro (RFA - ?$2M?)
Ekholm ($3.75M) - Carrier ($0.733M)
Harpur ($0.800M) - Myers ($2.55M)
Borowiecki ($2M) - Benning ($1M)

Saros (RFA - ?$4M?)
Rittich ($1.5M)

Buyouts
Turris - $2M
Santini - $0.275M

TOTAL: $69.8M
Nervous about scoring with that lineup. Tolvi and Kunin are really going to need to stay healthy and have breakout seasons.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nervous about scoring with that lineup. Tolvi and Kunin are really going to need to stay healthy and have breakout seasons.
I'm pretty confident about Kunin. Tolvanen is more the wildcard to me. But even past those two, man, we are going to need a lot more from the big-salary "1st line" guys too. It's A LOT to ask for based on the last 2 seasons... not impossible... but yeah, for sure I think we have reason to not get tooooo optimistic about our chances next year. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I like it. Hopefully Ingram can come back next season and tear up the AHL then if Rittich struggles we can replace him.
And conversely if Ingram can't get back on track and we find we like Rittich, he's 28, we can always string him along for another year after this one too. We're covered.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Agreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad