Armchair GM III

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Have to wonder that Granlund's ask was through the roof. Still, a big loss.

There are rumors that the Leafs are chasing him. I think he'd fit in well with that forward group.

I'll miss the guy. He didn't live up to offensive expectations, but he is pure effort.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sentimentally, yes. Competitively, not really.

Overall, I agree with you though. Gotta make room for new blood!
He would have been fine for the back up role. Certainly no worse than anyone else we are probably going to get. Also had the benefit of fitting well with Saros.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah frankly anything above that 3 x 5m and I think the signing team will regret it. My guess is Poile was probably offering him a 1,2, or 3 year deal and he is look for 5-6.

Don't blame him. This could be his last big paycheck. Might as well get as much as you can. I just don't want to be the ones to do it

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If the leafs are paying him they can't be offering him much. Can't be that much cap room left.

Yep and they supposedly just gave Mrazek 3 years x 3.8M. Puts them up to 76M with 18 players. They're probably trying to pawn Kerfoot off one someone for a box of crackerjacks.

Kebs

Def not just a zombie tiger typing
Aug 21, 2009
Nashville, TN
Ladies and Gentlemen get your annual GMDP bingo cards out for the next post free agent day presser. New square is "Youth Movement". As always free spaces are "Kicked the tires on a couple of our UFAs" "Prices were way high" "Been working on getting our players extended" and "RFAs".

Edit: I forgot "Our big signings were the acquisition of Cody Glass and Myers"

Edit #2: Bonus points for: Brian Poile wondering around in the background confused, Brian running the presser, Brian using the words "Strategery" and "Taco Bell", and of course a Jared Stillman thrashing part 2.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The earlier Free Agent signings we did last year to target supposed needs didn't really work out... well Borowiecki and Richardson in particular were pretty much writeoffs. Cousins was ok-ish. Benning worked out pretty well in his role.

But later on, tacking on the desperate leftovers in Haula and Granlund worked out really well. Got hungry players on short-term deals, at bargain rates. I kind of like that approach for where we are at. Picking over the leftovers pile would appeal to me again.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Ladies and Gentlemen get your annual GMDP bingo cards out for the next post free agent day presser. New square is "Youth Movement". As always free spaces are "Kicked the tires on a couple of our UFAs" "Prices were way high" "Been working on getting our players extended" and "RFAs".

Edit: I forgot "Our big signings were the acquisition of Cody Glass and Myers"

Edit #2: Bonus points for: Brian Poile wondering around in the background confused, Brian running the presser, Brian using the words "Strategery" and "Taco Bell", and of course a Jared Stillman thrashing part 2.

is he trying to figure out the fax machine?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Man some of these contracts are making me hope Poile is just sitting at home in his jammies.

Wennberg to the Kraken 3 years 4.5M AAV
Andersen to Carolina 2 years 4.5M AAV
Coleman to Calgary 6 years 4.9M AAV

these are disgusting

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Man some of these contracts are making me hope Poile is just sitting at home in his jammies.

these are disgusting
And Hyman. Those are some godawful deals. Hyman and Coleman are at least useful players, but this is like Old School Free Agent Frenzy to give useful role players like them $/term like that. Kinda thought the NHL had outgrown that to a greater extent.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

these are disgusting
Zack Hyman 7 years at $5.5M (though Edmonton might be the one place he could replicate those bloated numbers)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would have been happier with 3x$5M or 4x$4M, but I guess the way things are going out there, 4x$5M isn't "off", and either way it's probably not going to hurt us. As long as Granlund keeps playing like he did last season anyway, and not like he did in his first stint here after the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad