Armchair GM III

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Have to wonder that Granlund's ask was through the roof. Still, a big loss.

I wonder what changed since the time Poile sounded so smug about Granny returning, back circa the Trade Deadline.

But all in all I am not particularly disturbed about losing Granlund. He battled surprisingly hard, but I'm not sure he was really all that effective. He got very prime minutes and responsibility here and still produced under 0.5 ppg. He hustled and tried. But for all the minutes he got, I'm not sure his impact is really any significant amount above anybody we might plug in as a cheaper replacement.

I'll feel even better about it if I see him landing a huge contract for his new team, and won't be surprised if that turns out to be a regrettable contract for that team.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Just hope Poile doesn’t get desperate and do something unwise.

No lie.. Vingan reported I think it was last night about Coleman perhaps being interested in re-union with Hynes.

When I'm hearing the money and term he's after, I'm trying to telepathically signal Poile to stay away.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I wonder what changed since the time Poile sounded so smug about Granny returning, back circa the Trade Deadline.

But all in all I am not particularly disturbed about losing Granlund. He battled surprisingly hard, but I'm not sure he was really all that effective. He got very prime minutes and responsibility here and still produced under 0.5 ppg. He hustled and tried. But for all the minutes he got, I'm not sure his impact is really any significant amount above anybody we might plug in as a cheaper replacement.

I'll feel even better about it if I see him landing a huge contract for his new team, and won't be surprised if that turns out to be a regrettable contract for that team.

I hear you, but I hate hearing that bolded part.. he led the team in 5-on-5 scoring. He wasn't scoring at a high rate, but he was the best forward on THIS team, in Hynes' system..

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
No lie.. Vingan reported I think it was last night about Coleman perhaps being interested in re-union with Hynes.

When I'm hearing the money and term he's after, I'm trying to telepathically signal Poile to stay away.
Coleman would fill that Jarnkrok sized void in the lineup but if he gets anywhere near the contract he is supposedly after I'll vomit.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'll be really interested to see what Granlund ends up getting. I sort of expect it to be a pretty cool market on him like it was last year. I came to like him more at the end of last season and if we could have managed to move Duchene/Johansen out and re-sign him I would have been happy but with those guys still around and Glass added to the mix I don't think he was worth giving any long term contract to. While he redeemed himself a bit under Hynes what a disappointing trade overall.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Boston and Calgary are the frontrunners per the trade board

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I hear you, but I hate hearing that bolded part.. he led the team in 5-on-5 scoring. He wasn't scoring at a high rate, but he was the best forward on THIS team, in Hynes' system..

But there's quite a pack in terms of the scoring. Being a couple points ahead of 5 or 6 other guys isn't as meaningful when you are getting significantly higher utilization. If we used Haula, or signed Heinen, or somebody like that, and threw them on the ice as much as Granlund was getting thrown out there, I wouldn't feel like we would lose any significant amount of production... or if it's players like that, hustle either.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
But there's quite a pack in terms of the scoring. Being a couple points ahead of 5 or 6 other guys isn't as meaningful when you are getting significantly higher utilization. If we used Haula, or signed Heinen, or somebody like that, and threw them on the ice as much as Granlund was getting thrown out there, I wouldn't feel like we would lose any significant amount of production... or if it's players like that, hustle either.

I guess we will see. Granlund was the epitome of Hynes' hockey and was our best forward all-around last season. His value was not only in the score sheet but also everything else he did on the ice.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Not upset by letting Granlund go to market. He has excelled under Hynes, but isn’t a long-term solution. Signing him to a multi-year deal at the value he is looking for we all know will block someone coming up and not workout in the end.

Does Poile need to replace him? Yes, but with someone on a shorter term deal and likely by Hynes spreading his production across more players.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I never really saw the confidence that Poile thought he was returning. It felt more like hopeful fans than Poile plans. If I recall when he publicly talked about Granlund returning, it was only that they'd be interested in talking to him, but he had not reached out and wasn't sure if the feelings to return were reciprocated.

Reactions: Seth Lake

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I would have gladly taken him for that 3x5M Evolving Hockey predicts. Thought, I still think he wants term and Poile wasn't willing to commit for more than few years.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah frankly anything above that 3 x 5m and I think the signing team will regret it. My guess is Poile was probably offering him a 1,2, or 3 year deal and he is look for 5-6.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN

I very much still see some players being shed this off-season. Poile likes to sit back and make trades when the dust settles after the initial free agency period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad