Speculation: Armchair GM 2023 Off-Season Edition: The Summer Without Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We need wolf to play in the NHL. The value of keeping him happy far surpasses any draft pick we get for Vladar.

I think Vladar has a chance to turn into a stud. But I know Wolf will be a game breaker. This teams window is closing. If they don’t play him they’re crazy.

First of all, Wolf is going to be in the NHL this year getting rotated in for games according to everything the front office has said about him.

Second, assuming that no team is offering something that is actually helpful for Vladar, a simple risk-benefit analysis seems to favour the Flames' strategy here.

What exactly is your fear? That Wolf, who the Flames showed belief in at the draft when no one else did, and who the Flames have consistently advanced upwards through the organization, and who the Flames have already stated they want getting somewhat-regular NHL games this year, and who has not yet proven anything at the NHL level, is going to demand to be an NHL starter right now or else ask out?

The risk if you trade Vladar is, of course, much greater. An injury could happen, Wolf might not be up to the job quite yet, etc. These outcomes would cause much greater issues for the organization than having to juggle three guys.

Reactions: Ainsy01 and Lunatik

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I dont see Tampa spending that much cap for a short term problem. Wolfe will get in 5-10 games this year and be the back up next year. He needs to play, let him be the goalie in the AHL and give him 1 or 2 games a month in the NHL.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I dont see Tampa spending that much cap for a short term problem. Wolfe will get in 5-10 games this year and be the back up next year. He needs to play, let him be the goalie in the AHL and give him 1 or 2 games a month in the NHL.
Wolf has dominated the ahl the time to give him 30 games + in the nhl is this year. He's earned it but it'd be so Calgary to force him back to the ahl in order to keep an ok backup

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
First of all, Wolf is going to be in the NHL this year getting rotated in for games according to everything the front office has said about him.

Second, assuming that no team is offering something that is actually helpful for Vladar, a simple risk-benefit analysis seems to favour the Flames' strategy here.

What exactly is your fear? That Wolf, who the Flames showed belief in at the draft when no one else did, and who the Flames have consistently advanced upwards through the organization, and who the Flames have already stated they want getting somewhat-regular NHL games this year, and who has not yet proven anything at the NHL level, is going to demand to be an NHL starter right now or else ask out?

The risk if you trade Vladar is, of course, much greater. An injury could happen, Wolf might not be up to the job quite yet, etc. These outcomes would cause much greater issues for the organization than having to juggle three guys.
Exactly this, for the first half keep Wolf in the AHL, call him up for spot starts. He looks good, then you look at moving Vladar at the deadline when someone might do something stupid and overpay.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

My fear is that he’s a professional athlete who has earned his shot. He’s going to be a star and you treat your stars like stars. The flames shouldnt use their contractual power against him because they can. I fear not playing him could damage the relationship, like we did with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. There are other mediocre goalies like Vladar that could turn out great. We also likely get a veteran goalie back in a Vladar move.

Again, a second or third is not worth risking damaging the long term relationship with Wolf.

Reactions: deleted user

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wolf has dominated the ahl the time to give him 30 games + in the nhl is this year. He's earned it but it'd be so Calgary to force him back to the ahl in order to keep an ok backup
There is zero benefit to him spending most of the time on the bench. Hes better off starting in the AHL and playing 10 or so NHL games than going 7-10 days between starts. He needs to play period.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
We need wolf to play in the NHL. The value of keeping him happy far surpasses any draft pick we get for Vladar.

I think Vladar has a chance to turn into a stud. But I know Wolf will be a game breaker. This teams window is closing. If they don’t play him they’re crazy.
YAWN.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
hes also 2.2 mill for the next 2 years which is pricey considering his stat line
I've said it before but Vladar reminds me quite a bit of Mikko Koskinen, and not necessarily in a bad way. Koskinen was given his show me you can take the next step and become a big 1a contract at 4.5M x 3 years kicking in after nearly 60 nhl games.

Vladar's show me .. 1a contract is also kicking in near that mark at 2.2M x 2 years which is a much nicer gamble if a team likes him and allows him to fall into a backup role if he isn't that guy.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Needs a Vezina-ish season first for people to forget about last year.
Yes... definitely a lot of recency bias here. If Markstrom had had a good year even, last year, nobody would be saying anything about his contract. However, I have faith that if Markstrom plays well this year all those people who jumped off the Marky bandwagon will climb back on.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yes... definitely a lot of recency bias here. If Markstrom had had a good year even, last year, nobody would be saying anything about his contract. However, I have faith that if Markstrom plays well this year all those people who jumped off the Marky bandwagon will climb back on.

Are you sure it won't just turn into a "trade him while his value is high" theme?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Are you sure it won't just turn into a "trade him while his value is high" theme?
And leave us with a goalie tandem of Vladar and Wolf? God forbid.
I prefer to believe that those wanting to trade Markstrom aren't really thinking of the consequences and their wish is more of a knee jerk reaction to last season.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And leave us with a goalie tandem of Vladar and Wolf? God forbid.
I prefer to believe that those wanting to trade Markstrom aren't really thinking of the consequences and their wish is more of a knee jerk reaction to last season.
It's also the same people that want to rebuild, year over year. We could reach teh Cup finals and they'd want us to tank

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There is zero benefit to him spending most of the time on the bench. Hes better off starting in the AHL and playing 10 or so NHL games than going 7-10 days between starts. He needs to play period.
He isn't going to learn much in the ahl he needs to see nhl speed to take the next step give him 30 games this year with nhl practice every day for him to take the next step.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Additionally, the Flames announced today that they have assigned the following players to the Calgary Wranglers of the American Hockey League:

Parker Bell
Brett Sutter
William Stromgren
Jarrod Gourley
[/URL]

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Probably need to find a home for Vladar, but that's easier said than done.
Just waive him if you have to sucks to miss out on a mid round pick but his play last year has really hurt his value and Wolf is already better. I'm really hoping Conroy ends the age of gotta keep the old guy with a bigger contract over a better rookie because reasons.

Reactions: deleted user
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille