Stoke me a clipper.
Continued from the previous thread, here:

Context:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sutter 1 Treliving 0
Get used to another season with Darryl behind the bench boys.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I know Treliving has his detractors, but I felt he was a very good GM. I fear we may be about to find out how much worse it can be.
After last summer many had us in at least the conference finals as a reasonable goal despite the personnel change. Yes I personally thought 10.5M for hubie was too much, but 7 for Kadri felt fair at the time even though the back half of both contracts felt like potential anchors.
It still felt like somewhat of a stroke of genius to bring in that talent considering what went out for a team owner completely unwilling to rebuild so I feel like Brad had no option to sell Tkachuk for picks and prospects exclusively and I'm confident he thought Gaudreau was returning and had the rug pulled at the eleventh.
Now that we've been eliminated and both of those players had pretty awful seasons it's easy to play blame the gm. His tenure isn't only about this last offseason of course. There were good moves and downright awful ones, but overall I really like Tre and wherever he goes next I expect him to thrive.

Of the two I'd have much preferred Sutter be the one not returning. I want to see youth in our lineup and that feels always like we get 10% of what we want with him.
Anyway, anyone but Benning. Lol. If we hire him I think I'd likely have to take a break from my fandom. Living in BC he ruined so many diehards here, and I can't imagine he's even up for it, but our history tells me he's probably front running.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I am not expecting miracles thats for sure. Don Maloney's GM experience and track record is not what someone would say is exceptional.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Ideally what I would do for next season..

Keep
Hubby, Kadri, Mangi, Dube, Pellts, Coronato, Rudzika, Duher.
Anderson, Stone, Weegar

See if there are good trades to be made for youth or picks with

Hanafin, Lindy, Backs, Toffoli, Tanev, Hanafin, Zadorov, Markstrom

Need to get assets for those guys. Would not be upset if Tanev was reupped at like 3x3 or so

Promote Wolf, Zary, Porier next year

So for my base for the team next year

Pelltier - Kadri - Huberdeau
Coro - Rudzika - Mangiapane
Coleman - Zary - Duher
xxx - Dube - xxx

Weegar - Anderson
Tanev - ???
Porier - Stone

Wolf
Vladar

The rest of the roster would be constructed with the returns from the UFA guys assuming we can move them out. Ideally would push people down the lineup, Porier can prolly use another year in the AHL, maybe Zary too.

I don't know what we can get for the UFA guys, but they are all good players that with a year left, can get a good return since they are all on good contracts (other than Marky)

Hanafin - 1st and A prospect, young roster player (Ducks)
Lindy - 1st and A prospect, young roster player (Columbus)
Backs - 2nd and B prospect (NYR, FLA, or CAR)
Toffoli - 1st and young roster player (Maybe a good prospect if retained) (DAL or MIN)
Tanev - 2nd and B prospect (Ducks)
Zadorov - 2nd and B prospect (Leafs)
Markstom - 3rd and no retention, B prospect (Ottawa)

Might be overvaluing the guys a bit, but with the right team I think we can get some good pieces to not only be competitive next year, but have some guys in the pipeline we are actually excited about.

What does everyone think? How far off base am I?

EDIT : Put the teams i think could use the players next to them.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think Treliving is the issue here. We have Treliving, Maloney and Murray and other great guys for a management team. This group should be like a dream team of management.

Treliving has done a ton for upgrading our development and support like mental health for prospects. He has attention to details for things many others overlook.

The issue IMO lies elsewhere and I've been vocal for a long time saying I'm pretty sure it's ownership handcuffing/interference.

I think where ever Treliving lands, he'll immediately have a positive Influence. We might succeed or continue to flounder without him, who knows. Based on an article I read, we win the division next season and Vegas likely wins the division the season after.

Good luck.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Silver Lining is that a new GM can come in a ship Huberdeau out without coming off as two-faced

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Coach wise, I'm not sure what we have in Muller, Huska and MacLean.

Swinging for the fences, I'd go with Love.

But for something that's at least entertaining on ice in the regular season with an aging core, even if it's mediocre in the off season, Boudreau is a good option. Coaches typically don't win cups on multiple teams. I think we're statistically doomed with Sutter. But Boudreau's track record has that hope and he's not a pure languishing type guy. He could win a cup with a decent roster.

Nothing against Sigalet and Labarbara, but I'd really love a dude with a track record of success. Ian Clark is the only one of those guys with a potential of being pulled out the org he's currently at (Vancouver).

Roster wise, I wouldn't go too crazy. I'd just focus on seeing if I could sort out the chemistry and coaching disconnect first.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm betting that Brad Treliving becomes the next GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins. As for the Flames... it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them give the job to some newbie that Sutter can bully.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Silver Lining is that a new GM can come in a ship Huberdeau out without coming off as two-faced
I am not sure thats a huge issue as I believe that Huberdeau was a Treliving guy and not a Sutter guy plus after July 1st they have to ask his permission anyways

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

What team is lining up to take that contract exactly?

I'm moderately hopeful Huberdeau can bounce back to PPG, at least. Maybe not with Sutter. But with teams so tight to the cap...

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
What team is lining up to take that contract exactly?

I'm moderately hopeful Huberdeau can bounce back to PPG, at least. Maybe not with Sutter. But with teams so tight to the cap...
I think there’s a weird rule where the team that trades for the player can choose to not continue the players trade clause. Huby with no clauses could make 10.5 easier to move for the next guy and get some teams interested

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Every good move is because of Brad. Every misstep is Murray Edward's fault. Give me a break :laugh:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Pretty obvious Murray Edwards is the central and underlying problem with the Flames. He's the lone constant throughout all the mediocrity. He's literally Aquilini without all the public embarrassments.

Reactions: Rockmorton

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Does Duclair for Kyglington on make sense in the off-season?

Calgary gets an offensively minded forward that has chemistry with Huberdeau; Florida gets a good defensive piece. Both contracts have one year left and are risky in as far as both missed a lot of time this year

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Does Duclair for Kyglington on make sense in the off-season?

Calgary gets an offensively minded forward that has chemistry with Huberdeau; Florida gets a good defensive piece. Both contracts have one year left and are risky in as far as both missed a lot of time this year

IMO I think we try and keep Kylington. Flames have treated him well, and I think he wants to stay. Would be open to a trade for a defenceman, maybe increase the deal and give you a chance to talk extention with either Hanafin or Tanev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad