2017: 6.1M
2018: 6.1M
2019: 5.8M
2020: 4M

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
No complaints with that contract. Assuming the NMC covers the next 2 years, we'll need to protect him from Vegas. But the reality is that any half-way decent UFA will be asking for a NMC this summer.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
2018: 6.1M
2019: 5.8M

A little scary given Domi with be RFA and then OEL UFA. But almost nobody on roster is under contract through then, anyway. So plenty of time to plan ahead.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Yeah I would've liked the contract to be a bit more front loaded. But I'm guessing Goligolski would've too, so I'm sure Chayka knows what he's doing with managing the money.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If it's the difference between the player signing and the player not signing, probably every GM. I mean, any expensive UFA signing will be protected whether he has a NMC or not.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's going to be so nice this season to not allow 47,000 short-handed goals because we'll have a defenseman on the point instead of Boedker.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Truth. But how many GMs will dole them out? I expect that number to be very small (my prior prediction was 0).

I'd bet a lot of money that Yandle, Eriksson, Lucic, Backes, Okposo and Stamkos all will. Like Mosby said teams would protect them anyway, and throwing it in likely gives a team a little discount.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It's going to be so nice this season to not allow 47,000 short-handed goals because we'll have a defenseman on the point instead of Boedker.

Some Stars fans said he turns the puck over at the point quite a bit, so we might still allow like 27,000 shorty's

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'd bet a lot of money that Yandle, Eriksson, Lucic, Backes, Okposo and Stamkos all will. Like Mosby said teams would protect them anyway, and throwing it in likely gives a team a little discount.

Yandle and Stamkos, yeah probably. We'll see about the rest.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Some Stars fans said he turns the puck over at the point quite a bit, so we might still allow like 27,000 shorty's

So no different than Yandle then? He had his fair share of turnovers and that is a huge reason half the Coyote fans hair had turned grey. As much as I disliked that side of his play, when Yandle got traded, it was a sad day. Didn't expect myself to feel as bad as I did after the trade.

Hopefully, like Yandle, the upside to his puck moving abilities will outweigh any defensive liabilities he may have otherwise it'll be a long 5 years. Though not quite nearly as long as Smith's contract feels right now.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
So no different than Yandle then? He had his fair share of turnovers and that is a huge reason half the Coyote fans hair had turned grey. As much as I disliked that side of his play, when Yandle got traded, it was a sad day. Didn't expect myself to feel as bad as I did after the trade.

Hopefully, like Yandle, the upside to his puck moving abilities will outweigh any defensive liabilities he may have otherwise it'll be a long 5 years. Though not quite nearly as long as Smith's contract feels right now.

Sounds similar. I don't know if there are more or less turnovers. But he is a similar type of player. Overall Stars fans seemed to like him and I think he'll really improve the team. The Coyotes really missed having a quality puck mover last year.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Despite being a little smaller than Yands, Goligoski is more willing to throw hits and block shots. I wouldn't say he is a significantly better defender, however.

Gogo isn't as talented on offense as Yandle either but he's a fine, poised puck mover. He'll have a positive impact overall.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Despite being a little smaller than Yands, Goligoski is more willing to throw hits and block shots. I wouldn't say he is a significantly better defender, however.

Gogo isn't as talented on offense as Yandle either but he's a fine, poised puck mover. He'll have a positive impact overall.

I agree, but Gogo can also PK, Yandle can't.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I agree, but Gogo can also PK, Yandle can't.

It's almost ages ago at this point, but when Yandle averaged like 50 seconds of PK time/game back in 2010-2011 nothing in his play screamed "this guy can't PK." There's a difference between not being ideal for PK duty and "can't PK."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's almost ages ago at this point, but when Yandle averaged like 50 seconds of PK time/game back in 2010-2011 nothing in his play screamed "this guy can't PK." There's a difference between not being ideal for PK duty and "can't PK."

You could say that for every D.:) Dave Schlemko got more PK minutes than Yandle.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think Yandle is clearly more effective on the whole. Goligoski is a good fit for what we have going and a better contract. I'm more than happy. Good job Tippett/Chayka.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad