Confirmed with Link: Arizona signs Alex Goligoski 5 years, ~$5.5m per

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Earnest question:

The worry after Maloney was fired was that Chayka would be something of a patsy, with Tippett having outsized power in personnel decisions. Because of the narrative around Tippett's talent assessment and approach to roster assemblage, the consensus expectation was that Tippett would torpedo the rebuild. It was a foregone conclusion that the team would get worse, and it would be Tippett's fault.

This is, of course, only one move, but if everyone is into it, why doesn't Tippett get any credit?

Agreed. He deserves credit for this.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Morgan, Sarah, and Dave Vest are tweeting them out. Goligoski is doing a conference call now.

Another tidbit from Goligoski:
- Spoke with Doan, Fiddler, and Connauton about their thoughts on AZ.

Hmmm, Fiddler is a UFA...

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Doan
Dvorak - Vermette - ?? or Richardson
Martinook - Fiddler - Richardson or ??

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Earnest question:

The worry after Maloney was fired was that Chayka would be something of a patsy, with Tippett having outsized power in personnel decisions. Because of the narrative around Tippett's talent assessment and approach to roster assemblage, the consensus expectation was that Tippett would torpedo the rebuild. It was a foregone conclusion that the team would get worse, and it would be Tippett's fault.

This is, of course, only one move, but if everyone is into it, why doesn't Tippett get any credit?

He should, especially seeing as how him and chayka flew together to Minnesota to finalize it. Great early work by them. Chayka has mentioned in just about every interview how excited they are about or stockpile of prospects too, so I'm not as worried about them trading the farm away, provided him and Tip are on the same page, and you'd think they would be considering what the buzzwords have been. It is still very early though, what they do at the draft and up until training camp will be very telling.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He should, especially seeing as how him and chayka flew together to Minnesota to finalize it.

Sort of expected of a VP and a high profile coach being paid $20m by a franchise, no?

If Tippett isn't dictating moves, and if he has bought in philosophically, then all should be well. I expected early returns because there was no way to come out of this summer without making major moves. I am worried about long term, the integration of young players into the roster, and what happens when adversity hits.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Love the deal. I thought they'd reach one. I'm not going to sneeze at having Goligoski at the expense of a 5th round pick. Especially since I lived through 5 years of Jovo at 6.5.

As for Tippett. This probably shows why we still have not hired an assistant GM. I mean, what is really going on here? Do they really want more cooks in the kitchen? I'm not sure what an Asst. GM would add. Traditionally the asst GM is someone who runs the AHL team.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Love the deal. I thought they'd reach one. I'm not going to sneeze at having Goligoski at the expense of a 5th round pick. Especially since I lived through 5 years of Jovo at 6.5.

As for Tippett. This probably shows why we still have not hired an assistant GM. I mean, what is really going on here? Do they really want more cooks in the kitchen? I'm not sure what an Asst. GM would add. Traditionally the asst GM is someone who runs the AHL team.

In our case, I think the AGM will be more involved in negotiations/trades. Although Chayka made a nice move, it was a 5th for a pending UFA coming from a team where our VP/coach knows some folks in the front office. Once player for player is added, you need a more experienced negotiator. With that in mind, I doubt we make too many moves (including players from both sides) before the draft and hopefully the new AGM will be in place sometime between the draft and July 1st. Otherwise, we may not make too many trades/UFA signings.

Not to diminish Chayka's move, but I'm guessing Tipp had something to do with the interest in Goligoski as well; after all, Goligoski is a veteran D-man with strong defensive abilities.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not to diminish Chayka's move, but I'm guessing Tipp had something to do with the interest in Goligoski as well; after all, Goligoski is a veteran D-man with strong defensive abilities.

Well, I'm 100% in line with Tippett on GoGo, so if Tip was involved in the decision then good for him.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well, I'm 100% in line with Tippett on GoGo, so if Tip was involved in the decision then good for him.

Same here, on this move.

Perhaps Tipp is better suited for the Front Office than behind the bench? :laugh: just kidding, I'm open to see what he does next season with a team he has somewhat of a say in putting together.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Sort of expected of a VP and a high profile coach being paid $20m by a franchise, no?

If Tippett isn't dictating moves, and if he has bought in philosophically, then all should be well. I expected early returns because there was no way to come out of this summer without making major moves. I am worried about long term, the integration of young players into the roster, and what happens when adversity hits.

Don't worry so much there skippy - it'll be alright and most importantly - FUN! :)

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Chayka mentioned that, previously, the Coyotes were on Gogo's no-go list.

The needle now faces the opposite direction.

Also mentioned that ownership did an adequate job addressing concerns of arena uncertainty.

That's what AG said on Sirius just a half hour or so ago too. He was impressed to say the least. :handclap:

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
That's another reason why I love this signing. It's a precursor to other signings in the future. Shows that our program is impressive and players shouldn't be blocking us for trades/free agency

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Coyote management deserves credit here. To turn a player who a week ago had you on a no trade list to agree to a longterm deal and forego a chance at even bigger $ is impressive. Tippett and the kid deserve it.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Coyote management deserves credit here. To turn a player who a week ago had you on a no trade list to agree to a longterm deal and forego a chance at even bigger $ is impressive. Tippett and the kid deserve it.

There has got to be some big arena news that will be released soon. It doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

X10:handclap:

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)

Also it was 119 F while he was here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
First big move for GMDT, and it's a good one.

I'm impressed that they talked him into signing before open season. Must've given him the koolaid some of you have been drinking! ;)

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
First big move for GMDT, and it's a good one.

I'm impressed that they talked him into signing before open season. Must've given him the koolaid some of you have been drinking! ;)

...the sweet kind, as opposed to the bitter flavor others here favor :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad