Confirmed with Link: Arizona signs Alex Goligoski 5 years, ~$5.5m per

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I wonder what Maloney thinks of this. If Maloney balked at something like this, maybe there is a legitimate reason he was let go. Maybe all those Moss, Chipchura signings were his idea. We always like to blame Tipp, but who knows if it was him or not? By the sound of things, it didn't really sound like he was included in any of the personnel moves at all under Maloney.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking? Maybe I'm just jumping the gun because I'm super pumped about this trade/signing.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
I am so excited to have a GM that doesn't just sit back and wait for things to happen. GMDM built a nice foundation for us but I think we needed a gm like Chayka to take us to the next level. I'm so excited for the future of our franchise. Welcome GMJC!!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
IMO Goligoski was the best D available as UFA, significantly better than Yandle overall. This is practically a steal and a very impressive move.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This is about as cheap if not cheaper that I thought a higher profile UFA D would sign for.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Okay, great signing! Great start and about time that we had some unvarnished good news.

Now, I really wouldn't trade any talent for a top 4 D at this point. A minor forward for a bottom pair ok, but that's it at this point. Next year we trade talent for a top 6 RHD and aim for a deep playoff run.

Yup, unless we can get Demers at 4.5/ yr. I leave our D alone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Totally. Definitely Stepan...he would be an upgrade over Hanzal. Klein would be ok I guess, but I still think they need a legit top pairing guy with OEL. Murphy may still be able to improve his game, I mean I sure hope he does, because he wasn't cutting it with OEL on a consistent basis.

I agree. Murphy has no business on the first pairing.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Earnest question:

The worry after Maloney was fired was that Chayka would be something of a patsy, with Tippett having outsized power in personnel decisions. Because of the narrative around Tippett's talent assessment and approach to roster assemblage, the consensus expectation was that Tippett would torpedo the rebuild. It was a foregone conclusion that the team would get worse, and it would be Tippett's fault.

This is, of course, only one move, but if everyone is into it, why doesn't Tippett get any credit?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I wonder what Maloney thinks of this. If Maloney balked at something like this, maybe there is a legitimate reason he was let go. Maybe all those Moss, Chipchura signings were his idea. We always like to blame Tipp, but who knows if it was him or not? By the sound of things, it didn't really sound like he was included in any of the personnel moves at all under Maloney.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking? Maybe I'm just jumping the gun because I'm super pumped about this trade/signing.

I think Maloney's big problem was his conservatism. He rarely seemed to aim high for UFA (the one time he did gamble, it was for Ribeiro, who, though talented, was an extreme risk that nobody else seemed to want to touch). Maybe it was all of those years working for the NHL as owners; but maybe it was also because he wasn't the greatest salesman in the world. The way he handled the John Scott thing has got it in my head that maybe he was a bit of a dick in terms of his negotiating style - something that would have worked well in trades but definitely not when schmoozing with player agents.

Whatever Chayka said and however he said it, he sold GoGo FAST. I wonder whether talking to a guy whose playing days were far more recent and whose age is a lot closer to the players' might end up being a big asset.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka and Tippett flew to Minnesota (Goligoski's home state) yesterday to close the deal, as per Goligoski's agent.

indczn

May 28, 2008
Great signing. Good term and lower aav than I was expected :handclap:

Shrewd move by puppet master Tippet.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka mentioned that, previously, the Coyotes were on Gogo's no-go list.

The needle now faces the opposite direction.

Also mentioned that ownership did an adequate job addressing concerns of arena uncertainty.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chayka and Tippett flew to Minnesota (Goligoski's home state) yesterday to close the deal, as per Goligoski's agent.

Chayka mentioned that, previously, the Coyotes were on Gogo's no-go list.

The needle now faces the opposite direction.

Also mentioned that ownership did an adequate job addressing concerns of arena uncertainty.

Where are you getting these updates?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Morgan, Sarah, and Dave Vest are tweeting them out. Goligoski is doing a conference call now.

Another tidbit from Goligoski:
- Heard nothing but good things about Dave Tippett.
- Spoke with Doan, Fiddler, and Connauton about their thoughts on AZ.
- Wendy Tippett met Gogo at airport (lol!)

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Perhaps the AZ heat fried Goligoski's synapses on his one day visit to the area, affecting his judgement? Whatever reason, I'm glad it's done :)

In terms of how we got him to sign, perhaps we added a NMC/NTC and/or perhaps a signing bonus?

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Earnest question:

The worry after Maloney was fired was that Chayka would be something of a patsy, with Tippett having outsized power in personnel decisions. Because of the narrative around Tippett's talent assessment and approach to roster assemblage, the consensus expectation was that Tippett would torpedo the rebuild. It was a foregone conclusion that the team would get worse, and it would be Tippett's fault.

This is, of course, only one move, but if everyone is into it, why doesn't Tippett get any credit?

Probably after the draft and first couple days of free agency it will be easier to note differences. I'm not sure Maloney would have been aggressive enough to trade a 5th without a condition of signing, but I think GMDM would have come away this offseason with one of Yandle, Gogo, JJ, Tyutin, Hamhuis, etc. Maloney would have done well negotiating over capspace and salary concerns.

Let's see what the Tip/JC team does with picks 7, 20, etc. Do they sacrifice those for a shorter term boost? Personally, I think they'll find a way to improve both in the present and the future. I think we can be at least a bubble team and have one of the top 3 prospect pools in the league this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00