Arizona Coyotes in talks with Tempe on new arena

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How far is this proposed site from the Suns TSRA? Is here enough non NBA/NHL events for both arenas to be profitable?

Best I could do with Paint 3D on short notice...... but this gives you the approximate locations. This new site is about 3-4 miles due west of where the IceArizona/ASU proposed arena was to be built. ASU is currently building a ~5000 seat arena for the Men's Hockey program in that area.

map-of-phoenix-az.jpg

Reactions: Surfshop

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Would the arena in Glendale just get torn town, or host smaller events?

I assume the retail, restaurants, bars, etc. and other space promised with the arena in Glendale was never fully realized from what I've heard?

Or is there actually a decent selection (though likely not what was promised?) of such attractions there if arriving early for a game?

Westgate Entertainment District is about 50% built out from it's original design. The arena and Westgate were separated from each other back when Jerry Moyes and Steve Ellman were co-owners of the Coyotes.

Gila River Arena is owned by the City of Glendale. Westgate Entertainment District is own by Bob Parsons (GoDaddy.com). Today they are separate entities and operate as such.

The arena is a traffic driver, but Westgate operates as if they are a standalone and are still developing new attractions. A new water/theme park hotel project is being built just south of State Farm Stadium, and Tiger Woods announced his "PopStroke" mini-golf courses for both Scottsdale and at Westgate (possibly on the north end of the district).

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Westgate Entertainment District is about 50% built out from it's original design. The arena and Westgate were separated from each other back when Jerry Moyes and Steve Ellman were co-owners of the Coyotes.

Gila River Arena is owned by the City of Glendale. Westgate Entertainment District is own by Bob Parsons (GoDaddy.com). Today they are separate entities and operate as such.

The arena is a traffic driver, but Westgate operates as if they are a standalone and are still developing new attractions. A new water/theme park hotel project is being built just south of State Farm Stadium, and Tiger Woods announced his "PopStroke" mini-golf courses for both Scottsdale and at Westgate (possibly on the north end of the district).

Jerry Moyes - the guy who ruined the Reinsdorf transaction lol. I bet if Jerry had purchased the Yotes from Bettman back in the day they would have a new arena by now.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Jerry Moyes - the guy who ruined the Reinsdorf transaction lol. I bet if Jerry had purchased the Yotes from Bettman back in the day they would have a new arena by now.

I wouldn’t say he was responsible for it. He got drawn into the whole affair by Steve Ellman and the Westgate project itself. AFAIK he still owns one of the office buildings there. But he let himself get talked into Jim Balsillie’s plan as a way to get what he could out of it.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Technical question but how long would the land remediation take? I know nothing about environmental remediation so is this like a 6 month thing? A 2 year thing?

From the article:

"Remediation should start within two years of the agreement being signed and construction should start immediately after remediation is completed, according to the request for proposals. The city asked that respondents not require the city to move the operations yard to a new site sooner than June 2024, the request for proposal shows."

So...the bidder cannot force the city to 'move' its operations yard...however...the site portion that requires the remediation has an undetermined timeline...as from the city's own geotechnical reports...there is *lots* of environmental debris that they encountered in their test borings that will need removing...

Bottom line...until they get to the debris itself...the amount of time and effort needed to remediate the area...is an unknown...

Last edited:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
From the article:

"Remediation should start within two years of the agreement being signed and construction should start immediately after remediation is completed, according to the request for proposals. The city asked that respondents not require the city to move the operations yard to a new site sooner than June 2024, the request for proposal shows."

So...the bidder cannot force the city to 'move' its operations yard...however...the site portion that requires the remediation has an undetermined timeline...as from the city's own geotechnical reports...there is *lots* of environmental debris that they encountered in their test borings that will need removing...

Bottom line...until they get to the debris itself...the amount of time and effort needed to remediate the area...is an unknown...

Yeah I am not a scientist so I don't know what remediation entails. I just looked at some stuff on google to see what it involves. I can't figure out from what I've seen so far how long a process or how expensive it is. If they can't start until 2024 and its a 1 year process you're looking at 2028 for when the new arena opens which is right when the original 15 year contract would have expired anyway

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The requirement of a pro sports franchise would seem to make the Coyotes central to any possible deal, essentially a single source contract.

At least it would seem that way. Is there any chance, say, the Diamondbacks could jump on this?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
The requirement of a pro sports franchise would seem to make the Coyotes central to any possible deal, essentially a single source contract.

At least it would seem that way. Is there any chance, say, the Diamondbacks could jump on this?

According to the RFP language...yes they could...

Section IV - Description of Possible Development
Fourth bullet - Sports stadium/arena and practice facility

But...it is highly unlikely...based on the information from the articles...as the talks have been only between the Coyotes and Tempe...that we know of... ;)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Best I could do with Paint 3D on short notice...... but this gives you the approximate locations. This new site is about 3-4 miles due west of where the IceArizona/ASU proposed arena was to be built. ASU is currently building a ~5000 seat arena for the Men's Hockey program in that area.

View attachment 455109
No matter ho many times I see it or drive it, it still freaks me out that there is a freeway that is essentially a circle around Phoenix

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
According to the RFP language...yes they could...

Section IV - Description of Possible Development
Fourth bullet - Sports stadium/arena and practice facility

But...it is highly unlikely...based on the information from the articles...as the talks have been only between the Coyotes and Tempe...that we know of... ;)

Have there been any rumblings that the Diamondbacks are wanting a new stadium?

Just trying to figure out if that language was put in to give the appearance of a competitive process, or if it actually could be a competitive process.

Regarding the other requirements of the RFP, particularly the ones regarding previous projects by the winning bidder, does Meruelo's construction enterprises have previous experience on this scale? Or would he need to partner with someone?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Have there been any rumblings that the Diamondbacks are wanting a new stadium?

Yep...

What the Diamondbacks Want in a New Stadium

Source: azbex.com/what-the-diamondbacks-want-in-a-new-stadium/

Just trying to figure out if that language was put in to give the appearance of a competitive process, or if it actually could be a competitive process.

Regarding the other requirements of the RFP, particularly the ones regarding previous projects by the winning bidder, does Meruelo's construction enterprises have previous experience on this scale? Or would he need to partner with someone?

Well...Meruelo has built a bunch of pizza stores...and will likely need some additional partners...

Meruelo Enterprises, Inc. - Meruelo Enterprises Inc.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yep...

What the Diamondbacks Want in a New Stadium

Source: azbex.com/what-the-diamondbacks-want-in-a-new-stadium/

Did a little Googling and found this:

The Diamondbacks say they just heard of Tempe’s plan and do not think they fit the description for what the city wants.

Officials plan to take redevelopment bids for about a month, but they warn none may be chosen.
Tempe Seeks Redevelopment Pitches To Build A Sports Venue; Arizona Coyotes Express Interest

A month is too short a period of time to go from zero to a full bid on this. Starting to get a feeling that the Coyotes have pretty much already put together a winning proposal..

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
ya basically every major city in North America that doesn't have its geography constricted by mountains or water has a ring highway.

Yep, exactly.

I live on the west coast where they are apparently not as common

Unless you live in Denver or Las Vegas. The SF Bay has one too, it's just oblong and cut off at the north end due to the surrounding terrain. CA 52 and CA 125 around San Diego are functionally the same thing.

Btw, I make maps for a living and stare at this stuff basically all day, so I've definitely got a view a lot of people don't. It's not a big deal you didn't know, really. We are dangerously off-topic though :laugh: sorry mods!

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Did a little Googling and found this:

The Diamondbacks say they just heard of Tempe’s plan and do not think they fit the description for what the city wants.

Officials plan to take redevelopment bids for about a month, but they warn none may be chosen.
Tempe Seeks Redevelopment Pitches To Build A Sports Venue; Arizona Coyotes Express Interest

A month is too short a period of time to go from zero to a full bid on this. Starting to get a feeling that the Coyotes have pretty much already put together a winning proposal..

As I stated in this post...the Diamondbacks were highly unlikely...
and your link to the article confirmed that...

The Coyotes organization have been talking for some time now...
we all know how the previous groups have fared...
but I see what Tempe has done as more of a 'sh*t or get off the pot' moment...

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
AZ fan here (season ticket holder for 3 years). This new location would be amazing.

Gila River Arena (current location) is basically on the west / northwest edge of where anyone ever goes. This new location is central -- or at least central enough -- and actually makes sense compared to somehow trying to host an NHL team at the far edge of GLENDALE.

You have an arena in Tempe-ish, you solve the financial problems and keep the team in Arizona. It's that simple. This arena would be a game changer for our hockey club. Phoenix is the 5th or 6th largest metro in the entire US, there's absolutely enough demand to keep us here assuming the arena isn't in the worst possible location imaginable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad