Arizona Coyotes in talks with Tempe on new arena

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
This is behind a paywall, did you actually read the article or did you just see the title and the first paragraph you quoted and went with that?

Read the article...but due to HFBoard's copyright restrictions...cannot post the entire article...

P.S. Updated original post to read paywall...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The requirement of a pro sports franchise would seem to make the Coyotes central to any possible deal, essentially a single source contract.

At least it would seem that way. Is there any chance, say, the Diamondbacks could jump on this?
Are Phoenix and Tempe kind of stuck together (connected) by so much development you can’t tell where one ends and the other begins? Would a visitor just assume it’s all one big city?

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
One absolutely cannot tell where one municipality ends and the other begins, and any visitor would assume it's all one big city. You could go from Gilbert to Chandler to Mesa to Tempe to Scottsdale to Phoenix to Glendale, and wouldn't be able to tell you'd been in seven legally distinct municipalities.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Are Phoenix and Tempe kind of stuck together (connected) by so much development you can’t tell where one ends and the other begins? Would a visitor just assume it’s all one big city?

Phoenix economy is absolutely booming. So much development everywhere it’s hard to tell what’s what anymore out here.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
This is a population density map of the entire area. You can see better from this the extreme of the current situation and why the Tempe location is pretty close to ideal.

(Well, the Chase Field site if the DBacks get a new place might be more ideal)

coyotesarena-jpg.455879
That map makes it look like you're trading 6 for half a dozen. The yotes are right in the middle of four red areas and their new arena is in an orange and next to a yellow

Reactions: bigtim1988

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is behind a paywall, did you actually read the article or did you just see the title and the first paragraph you quoted and went with that?

The companion article I posted a link to up thread gives a general outline of it all and it’s not locked.

This new update is probably adding a few more details based on the correspondence between the Coyotes and Tempe. But that may or may not end up as part of the proposal they file with the city.

The franchise has until August 19th to submit their proposal. Then the city will look it over carefully and decide if more negotiations are needed.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

It’s a metropolitan area just like LA only not as crowded yet.

Tempe is one of two cities in the metro which are essentially land locked (the other being El Mirage). All the others have open space on one of their borders they can annex more land if they want it.

There’s also a few unincorporated areas (ie “county islands”) within that exist

Tempe is also the home for Arizona State University.

If you’re familiar with the area then it isn’t hard to know which city you’re in.

Reactions: Fatass

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
One absolutely cannot tell where one municipality ends and the other begins, and any visitor would assume it's all one big city. You could go from Gilbert to Chandler to Mesa to Tempe to Scottsdale to Phoenix to Glendale, and wouldn't be able to tell you'd been in seven legally distinct municipalities.

Don't the cities have signs to indicate you've entered a new city?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
As for the new arena it sounds promising but I am firm "I will believe it when I see it". Broken record mode for me but I believe that icing a good team is more important than a new arena but if Meruelo can get this done and sell "I don't read fiction" t-shirts in the Den, I say build the damn statue.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Tempe is one of two cities in the metro which are essentially land locked (the other being El Mirage). All the others have open space on one of their borders they can annex more land if they want it.

There’s also a few unincorporated areas (ie “county islands”) within that exist

Actually Chandler and Gilbert are pretty much done except for those scattered islands as they're hemmed in by the Gila River tribe. We're already talking about things like "infill" in Chandler. Same is also true of Mesa unless they wanna cross into Pinal county.

But eventually the East Valley will wrap around the GRIR and include Florence, Coolidge, Casa Grande, Maricopa town....basically look at a satellite photo and anything outside the reservations that is currently agricultural will eventually become part of the Phoenix-Tucson megalopolis (and for those thinking "but what about water?", residential uses less than farming)...but this is 22nd century stuff I'm talking about.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well I managed to get past the paywall (PHXBiz doesn't deploy it very well).

The article is more of a poor gossip column than any sort of business article.

Timeline roughly goes like this...

-- It begins when Andrew Barroway was still the sole owner of the Coyotes. CEO Ahron Cohen had been talking to different cities around the east valley.

--Tempe officials knew the Coyotes were looking to leave the west valley. so they looked to take out and ad in an annual Coyotes magazine publication to drop a hint.

--Some dialog begins.

-- Soon afterwards, Alex Meruelo buys 95% of the franchise, no long afterwards Cohen is fired and replaced by his man, Xavier Gutierrez. The Tempe officials involved expected it because they knew Cohen wasn't getting anywhere looking for a deal with a new city.

-- Soon after, Gutierrez reaches out to Tempe to re-engage dialog.

--Meruelo meets with the mayor of Tempe at that time. More dialog.

-- This past February, Glendale City Councilman Bart Turner forwards Katie Strang's article from The Athletic to a Tempe City councilwoman, depicting the "toxic environment" within the Meruelo ownership. (JMO... Glendale would like nothing more than to stop the franchise from leaving and will do anything to prevent it.)

--Dialog continues on until the RFP announcement.

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
That map makes it look like you're trading 6 for half a dozen. The yotes are right in the middle of four red areas and their new arena is in an orange and next to a yellow

Yeah, kinda. But the map is a little rudimentary, and the key factor is ACCESS.

The numbers are a little more complex than just Red/Orange/Yellow. The colors are the density of people to area in the box, not total numbers (bigger orange can be more people than smaller red, etc).

In the current location, the "Left Side" reds/oranges/yellows can get to Glendale for a weekday game easily. The entire Right Side cannot. Because the route is a bottle neck through Tempe/Phoenix (unless you're in South Chandler/South Gilbert), during rush hour.

In the new location, the Right Side has to go only TO the bottle neck. It's 25 minutes or less instead of 75.
And the Left Side has to go to where that bottle neck is... but most of their commute is opposite the rush hour traffic, and they have FIVE ROUTES instead of one.

If you're in the Top Left dark orange of Glendale North or NE Phoenix Central, you hop on "101 West" for 25 minutes to go to the game in Glendale. The new arena would be "Hop on 101 East" for 35 minutes.

The new location would put the entire metro area within 45 minutes of the Coyotes, instead half at best.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Phoenix economy is absolutely booming. So much development everywhere it’s hard to tell what’s what anymore out here.

What's driving that boom? New companies moving in? Current companies on a hiring spree?

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ

Tempe is much more central than Glendale and as previously mentioned much closer to the primary season ticket holder base. The chief complaint for people in Scottsdale and the SE Valley is drive time. Trying to drive West for a weekday game is a traffic nightmare. The primary freeway West is I10 and it's a mess during rush hour. People don't want to drive up to 2 hours to go to a game.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Tempe is much more central than Glendale and as previously mentioned much closer to the primary season ticket holder base. The chief complaint for people in Scottsdale and the SE Valley is drive time. Trying to drive West for a weekday game is a traffic nightmare. The primary freeway West is I10 and it's a mess during rush hour. People don't want to drive up to 2 hours to go to a game.

Kind of sad that taking the 101 could sometimes be faster(albeit it very far out of the way).

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Here is the update of the beautiful new $110 mill hockey area being built in Tempe:

Ahhh….never mind we’re talking about the Coyotes not Arizona State.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
OMG…. This is the song that never ends… it just goes on and on my friends…
For sake of Coyotes fans for the love of all things holly can this just get done,,,
It was a joke for the first decade but is beyond sad now… it’s beyond embarrassing…no fan base deserves having their franchise fate being dangled over their head for 15 years… it’s a disgrace for the league

Reactions: Pandemonia

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
For sake of Coyotes fans for the love of all things holly can this just get done,,,
It was a joke for the first decade but is beyond sad now… it’s beyond embarrassing…no fan base deserves having their franchise fate being dangled over their head for 15 years… it’s a disgrace for the league

Yeah but then we'll be bored unless the Panthers implode and become a relocation candidate...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

When the franchise has been the shits for so long, down in the dumps, what better what to rejuvenate it, than to build on a pile of waste. I think something will happen. There is a reason the franchise is still there. Just holding out until Auston Matthews becomes the hockey face of Arizona.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Deadline for Tempe sports arena proposals pushed back

To quote:

"While still asking for the sports facilities, 1,000 residential units, 200,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, and a large, shaded plaza, Tempe moved the due date to Sept. 2 at 3 p.m. Previously proposals were due on Aug. 19.

The city seems to be delaying the deadline to allow firms to include a public safety study with their proposals.

With the announcement of the new deadline, Tempe also gave a little more insight into what its expectations are for the proposals and the project going forward.

“This project will increase public safety requirements exponentially and we need the firms to demonstrate that they expect this as well as propose what the increase will mean in terms of cost to our city,” the amended RFP stated."

Source: www.abc15.com/news/business/deadline-for-tempe-sports-arena-proposals-pushed-back

Reactions: Pandemonia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->