Confirmed Buy-Out [ARI] Michael Grabner bought out by the Coyotes

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You're looking at the cap hit not the actual cash. They owe him 1.25M cash this year and next. They save roughly 2.5M cash this season but add the 1.25M next.
My apologies. We still save $2.5M. Next year isn’t a concern as we have a ton of big contracts expiring. In fact AZ will be targeting contracts to make floor again.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Arizona is in for a bad season in 20-21

Grabner was trucked with a lot of defensive responsibilities the last 2 seasons in Arizona.

I don’t see anyone taking Grabner’s PK duties and doing as good on Arizona’s current roster, especially if Kuemper and Ekman-Larsson are being traded.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Arizona is in for a bad season in 20-21

Grabner was trucked with a lot of defensive responsibilities the last 2 seasons in Arizona.

I don’t see anyone taking Grabner’s PK duties and doing as good on Arizona’s current roster, especially if Kuemper and Ekman-Larsson are being traded.
He was literally healthy scratched for most of the season.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Mosby

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Grabner was scratched 24 out of 70 games, most of the games Grabner were scratched was after Christmas.
You don’t think that’s a lot? Seems like a lot.

its not like AZ was winning after Xmas by the way.

I mean if you think paying a guy $4M to be scratched 30-40% of the time then he’s on waivers. Go get him.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
You don’t think that’s a lot? Seems like a lot.

its not like AZ was winning after Xmas by the way.
He was scratched for long stretches in January and February, it was a lot in a short time frame.

I believe he started falling out of favor with Tocchet.

Grabner also hasn’t been the same since the eye injury. The only thing that was keeping Grabner a decent player is his skating but that will start to erode with age.

When Grabner has been in Arizona’s lineup he has been giving more defensive responsibility during the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, it was during the 19-20 season that Grabner’s play starting falling off by the eye test and the analytic readings.

I believe Tocchet also wants the younger players like Crouse, Fischer and Hinostroza to pick up the PK time that is gone with Grabner, Richardson and Soderberg departing.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He was scratched for long stretches in January and February, it was a lot in a short time frame.

I believe he started falling out of favor with Tocchet.

Grabner also hasn’t been the same since the eye injury. The only thing that was keeping Grabner a decent player is his skating but that will start to erode with age.

When Grabner has been in Arizona’s lineup he has been giving more defensive responsibility during the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, it was during the 19-20 season that Grabner’s play starting falling off by the eye test and the analytic readings.

I believe Tocchet also wants the younger players like Crouse, Fischer and Hinostroza to pick up the PK time that is gone with Grabner, Richardson and Soderberg departing.
He’s not worth the $3.75M he was going to earn on the 4th line. We’re it not for the injury he would be playing a t a higher level and likely up in the lineup where you likely could have justified just finishing the contract. Under covid / reduced cap/financial impact though they went with the buyout to free up the cash to sign a RFA and/Upcoming UFA who will have greater impact. I loved pre injury Grabner. He was a hell of a hockey player.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Would love to see Grabs join his workout buddy M. Raffl in Philadelphia but our bottom-6 is already stacked with lots of kids looking for playing time.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I would absolutely love him back on the Rangers. He crushed it with us in the first stint, nearly a 30 goal scorer both seasons and an extremely solid PK player.

Reactions: AB13

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He’s only got one eye, which has limited him quite a bit (understandably). But he’s a really good 4th line winger and PKer. For about a million in cap, he’d be a great pick up for any team out there. Helluva guy, too. Lot of character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad