Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Dmitrij Jaskin signs with the Coyotes (1 year, $3.2M)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jaskin has lit up the KHL in the last 2 years, but I don't exactly get why teams will assume that he at 28 will somehow be vastly different than him at 25. He went from a fringe NHLer/depth guy immediately to a PPG player in the KHL, and was that for 2 years. Has he actually gotten that much better over those 2 years?

I always liked Jaskin when he was in the NHL and thought he deserved more chances than what he got here, but that seems pricey for him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He has a very good shot and size and can play along the boards pretty effectively. Yeah, his skating isn't great, but with a good playmaker he can score some goals.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
How has be proven that? He made one good move in the Stepan trade then signed a bunch of in effective 3/4th liners that had limited impact, meanwhile sat on his hands during the TDL.

Pitlick and Larsson were actually pretty effective defensively. The issue was that they lacked a lot of cap room or flexibility to do much in the offseason.

Reactions: Jakey53

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Bill Armstrong proved himself to be a decent talent evaluator with the rather limited resources that he had this year. I would trust his evaluation here. Locking up Bunting, a Group VI UFA, is probably the next thing on their bucket list.
If Bunting’s agent is smart he would let him get to UFA to get a better gauge on his value, as there shouldn’t be any shortage of suiters for Bunting’s services since he made a good account of himself during the latter part of he 20-21 season with 10 goals in only 21 games played.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If Bunting’s agent is smart he would let him get to UFA to get a better gauge on his value, as there shouldn’t be any shortage of suiters for Bunting’s services since he made a good account of himself during the latter part of he 20-21 season with 10 goals in only 21 games played.

But even with all of that, I expect an extension with Arizona. They need scorers more than almost anyone, and Bunting could potentially be a bargain, on top of that. I'd imagine that they'd be the top bidder.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Dude is a legit NHL player, but unless he figured something out all of a sudden, shouldn't be higher than your #10 forward. He has better IQ and general puck skills than your average depth guy, but he lacks two crucial things: speed and shot. If he improved one of those noticeably, he might even be good enough on your second line in a deep lineup; but if not, he's just competent, gritty depth. A #12 at best on a Cup team.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Good for Jaskin, hope he does well in AZ (except when they play the Blues). Maybe he can translate the confidence he gained in the KHL into success in the NHL.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This is a good signing by Yotes. Rooting for Jaskin

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Jaskin has lit up the KHL in the last 2 years, but I don't exactly get why teams will assume that he at 28 will somehow be vastly different than him at 25. He went from a fringe NHLer/depth guy immediately to a PPG player in the KHL, and was that for 2 years. Has he actually gotten that much better over those 2 years?

I always liked Jaskin when he was in the NHL and thought he deserved more chances than what he got here, but that seems pricey for him.

A lot of players just need to be given an opportunity and confidence. Based off that contract, I don't think they expect Jaskin to be come in and be a top 6 player, but that's a fine price for a solid bottom 6 player - which I believe Jaskin should be. At worst he's overpaid by ~800k, it's a fairly low risk move for a team that has issues attracting talent.

Reactions: barriers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad