Confirmed Trade: [ARI/CHI] Hossa, Hinostroza, Oesterle, 2019 3rd for Kruger, Entwistle, Maletta, Campbell, 2019 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownies

If I lived in Quebec I would be piping mad about my taxpayer money wasted on a fancy tomb that won't be used by an NHL team. Get angry at the city and province for wasting your money on a wish.
I live in Montreal, but I'm 50-50 on that... Arenas today are as much for sports as for shows/entertainment and the old Colisée wasn't getting any younger. The city of Quebec is doing really good since 10-15 years and the timing was good to put money in its infrastructure and keep that good vibe.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Why on earth would we have wanted to make this trade?

Take on 5+ mill for 3 years just to add a bottom 6 W & a bottom pair/depth D when we already have a logjam in both those areas. This would have been a terrible deal for the Canucks.

calling hinostroza a bottom 6 is underselling him. He is a good middle 6 guy with speed and hands

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
calling hinostroza a bottom 6 is underselling him. He is a good middle 6 guy with speed and hands

Fair enough. Good 3rd line guy that can play up in your lineup in the right scenario. Not established top 6 but not a 4th liner either.

Your right, but the point about it making no sense for the Canucks still stands, JB didn't miss out on anything here.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It's embarassing that there is a franchise operated and financed arms length that is just a place to dump contracts, and d&d forever. The NHL head office wants to be sure that this team never makes the playoffs, as it takes revenue from the franchise's that are subsidizing it. Meanwhile there is a brand new arena in Quebec City and an ownership group willing to buy in. Winnipeg, a city of the same size. the franchise that went to the desert, before getting a 2nd life, just had street parties all spring, bringing passion to the sport. The great Berlin Wall of the Eastern time zone, East of Eden, however, keeps hockey in the desert so that insurance companies can pay its players after their career. Hossa's salary is more than the Coyotes equity payments so I guess it's fair game.
And this is basically what I wrote in the Coyotes forum. I have lived here for 20 years now. this franchise is such an embarrassment. They have a collection of good young players but when it comes time to pay them they will be out the door.
there are so many issues with this organization and Chyka has done an amazing job dealing with what little resources he has. The guy is a virtual genius.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Fair enough. Good 3rd line guy that can play up in your lineup in the right scenario. Not established top 6 but not a 4th liner either.

Your right, but the point about it making no sense for the Canucks still stands, JB didn't miss out on anything here.

yea wouldnt think the nucks make as much sense vs Arizona, Ottawa, and the Islanders in terms of doing this trade

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Excuse my ignorance - what is the point for CHI to trade the contract, is he hurting them that bad? My understanding is he's put on LTIR so he doesn't count against the cap, but I'm guessing there is more to it than that.
So the short answer is that it’s better to be out from the contract all together as opposed to having to use LTIR. The long answer has to do with daily cap calculations during the season, bonus overages and offseason cap calculations.
I really don’t see why either side (nhl or PA) would be opposed to these deals because it allows a team that wants to spend to the cap to go out and sign another player or two and it allows teams with cash flow issues to reach the cap floor without needing to spend the money. Everyone wins.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Jets traded cap space in value for buyout against future cap space. That's the product of drafting good players. Arizona is a place where retired NHL players collect insurance money and the team can get over the cap floor with dead cap space as it can not maintain current operating costs. Apples and oranges my friend.

Except as it has been explained numerous times.... Coyotes were already over the floor when this trade went down. And still had 5 RFAs yet to sign (4 of them signed today)

Coyotes have never needed that dead cap space to reach the floor. But that doesn’t preclude them from using all that leftover cap space as an asset.

Any team can do what the Yotes are doing if they want to. You can lob all the old tired cliches about Arizona you want to, but you can’t ignore the fact that Chayka is smart enough to use what assets are available to him to improve the team.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I can't believe there are posters here who actually believe Hossa has an equipment allergy and that is why he couldn't play last season. :laugh::laugh:

He does have a serious skin rash issue that before he could be LTIR he had to see the league doctor to gain approval due to the circumstances of his contract and timing.

So before you talk about this issue learn all the facts.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Leafs just came off a 105 point season, have made the playoffs the last two years, and just signed one of the 5 best UFAs of the last 15 years.

Don't know how they are similar to Arizona other than they both think Marner was the better pick over Strome (jokes)

In all seriousness as a Leafs fan I think it's a smart move. Chyka seems to be moving things in the right direction.

If Galch can be even an average 1/2C and Strome can get his skating to a place where he can be a decent #2C they will be much better next year.

I'm not sure how having a 105 point season in a pathetically weak conference means your winning the Stanley Cup.

More lime the Dixie Cup

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
His P/60 was better than Domi. He is a prime candidate to break out and score 40+ points with a regular role.

Take it from someone who has watched every pro game of his, he does not have what it takes to be an every day top six player

He it a tweener

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
The posts in this thread that this deal is proof that the Yotes aren't ever going to be competitive are asinine. This move is the exact opposite of that! Maybe Hino and Oesterle aren't the greatest players and thus not a huge improvement but the Yotes are in a position that upgrading any spot with little to no risk is beneficial. 7th D man for depth, when we saw the Yotes struggle when their D core was injured last year, is an upgrade. Yotes were lacking on right shooting wingers and Hino is an upgrade. In addition, he is a low risk, high reward player. At the end of the year he was averaging 0.5 PPG on a Blackhawks team that wasn't really competitive. May be true or may not be, but I believe we only traded for Kruger because we didn't think we'd be able to re-sign Richardson. The market changed and we re-signed him. Even if not, we had a lot of bottom C and him and Richardson are very comparable to me. In addition, for a team money strapped, we took a 5th rd. pick and upgraded it to a 3rd. I don't see how any of this points to the Yotes not trying to improve their team. They used their cap to the benefit of the their own team.

Reactions: Grimes and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And this is basically what I wrote in the Coyotes forum. I have lived here for 20 years now. this franchise is such an embarrassment. They have a collection of good young players but when it comes time to pay them they will be out the door.
there are so many issues with this organization and Chyka has done an amazing job dealing with what little resources he has. The guy is a virtual genius.
What players are you referring to? Which young players were shown the door with this ownership?

Reactions: SniperHF

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He does have a serious skin rash issue that before he could be LTIR he had to see the league doctor to gain approval due to the circumstances of his contract and timing.

So before you talk about this issue learn all the facts.

We can both believe what we choose to believe.

I choose to believe that if his contract was still for 4 mil or 7.9 some how, some way, he would manage to get past this debilitating allergy and play hockey.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I'm not sure how having a 105 point season in a pathetically weak conference means your winning the Stanley Cup.

More lime the Dixie Cup

**checks confrences**
Last three cup champions.

Whatever you need to make yourself feel better.

Comparing Toronto and Arizona is just nutty.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Trading away a contract of a player who will never play another game for the purpose of cap relief is the very definition of cap circumvention. The Blackhawks gave Hossa that contract, it should stay on their books until said contact ends. If they don't wanna have their cap space get eaten by over the hill or oft-injured players then maybe they should learn their lesson and not offer long term contracts such as those in the first place. The Coyotes are circumventing the Cap Floor by taking on said contracts as well.

It needs to stop.
It's not the very definition of cap circumvention.
Cap circumvention is artificially deflating the cap.
Trading away assets is not artificial, it is very real and consequential

Chicago paid a price to move a contract they didn't want
Literally everything they did is legal and within the spirit of the CBA

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylorst

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Some of those young players will end up staying and some will go. Happens on every team in the league.

Some of the young players in the past were shown the door because either...

a) They couldn’t hack it at the NHL level.
b) They has attitude/coach-ability issues.
c). The team had a chance for a better player in return.

Again.... happens all over the league.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
We can both believe what we choose to believe.

I choose to believe that if his contract was still for 4 mil or 7.9 some how, some way, he would manage to get past this debilitating allergy and play hockey.
Why do people even bother pushing this view when they clearly display nonsense about what the actual situation is said to be.

It just shows no care for earnest thought when you talk like the allergy was new or not what hes been playing through, taking steroids for, and notably missed practice frequently throughout his Hawks career to lessen. His salary also dropped from nearly 8 to 4 mil the year before last too and that was coming off a poor year that he could of "made up" a thing to leave then if wanted too.

Reactions: Taylorst

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
The posts in this thread that this deal is proof that the Yotes aren't ever going to be competitive are asinine. This move is the exact opposite of that! Maybe Hino and Oesterle aren't the greatest players and thus not a huge improvement but the Yotes are in a position that upgrading any spot with little to no risk is beneficial. 7th D man for depth, when we saw the Yotes struggle when their D core was injured last year, is an upgrade. Yotes were lacking on right shooting wingers and Hino is an upgrade. In addition, he is a low risk, high reward player. At the end of the year he was averaging 0.5 PPG on a Blackhawks team that wasn't really competitive. May be true or may not be, but I believe we only traded for Kruger because we didn't think we'd be able to re-sign Richardson. The market changed and we re-signed him. Even if not, we had a lot of bottom C and him and Richardson are very comparable to me. In addition, for a team money strapped, we took a 5th rd. pick and upgraded it to a 3rd. I don't see how any of this points to the Yotes not trying to improve their team. They used their cap to the benefit of the their own team.

Ever is a very long time.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why, he gets paid both ways.

Hossa was paid all but 4 mil of his 63 million plus contract that had/has four/three years remaining. So I suppose he does get paid but after taxes and the escrow, the "struggle" clearly wasn't/isn't worth it anymore.

I understand that Hossa gets paid regardless of whether it's 1 mil or 7.9 mil, but on LTIR you get the money in an entirely different way as a large portion is paid out by the insurance company and they pay when they want to pay as opposed to getting your regular check twice a month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad