Confirmed Trade: [ARI/CHI] Hossa, Hinostroza, Oesterle, 2019 3rd for Kruger, Entwistle, Maletta, Campbell, 2019 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Looking at the 4 deals that the Yotes made; Bolland, Datsyuk, Hossa, Pronger. The Yotes improved their team and MADE money on 3 of the 4 deals. The Bolland trade cost them but they turned 3.3 million of salary, a 2nd and a 3rd into Lawson Crouse. Datsyuk didn't net much but the Yotes traded overpaid Joe Vitale saving them 2.4 million in cash.

Yotes lost 725K over three years on these 4 trades.

I'm agreeing with you but I'm also going to run off on a rant. :laugh:

Fiscally they were smart deals when you look at the players we were able to add because of it. We really just traded cap space for assets. If this were a big market team, people would be up in arms because they'd want the team to buy it's way back to the playoffs. We are just using our money and assets in a way that works best for our franchise, I see nothing wrong with trading cap space for things we want anyway, its smart business.

If we can string together enough playoff appearances in a decade I guarantee this teams will become more financially stable. It's just the way of sports in AZ, we are a relatively young major city in the grand scheme of things with transplants continuing to flood in. Tech and construction are the two highest growing industries in the state. Laveen (a small city not too far from the Glendale stadium) is expecting 800 houses to be produced and filled in the next 5 years and that adds potential fans. This is just a smaller part of the Phoenix metro. There are other cities adding homes and large condo and apartment complexes. All this is adding to being the 7th highest population in the nation.

Combine that type of growth and base population with a sustained winning culture and fans will show, tickets will sell, and financial sustainability will follow.

You could comparatively look at Detroit, a city losing people and jobs but has a financially stable franchise. It's a much older city with a team that put together 2 and a half decades of winning, despite people leaving and and job security dwindling. If we could put together that type of success consecutively, our franchise can achieve the same type of financial security in a healthier market.

None of this is to talk down on Detroit either, they have done a great job running that franchise and the fans have supported that team for far longer than the last 30 years, but if they spent their last 25 years supporting the same record as us, they may be dealing with a different financial outlook.

Bottom line is, we may not be a traditional market, and there are certainly other factors to consider and include in this, but we have a lot of upside to our franchise. Anyone who can't see the opportunity is not paying attention.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Que Seabrook+ for Karlsson via Eklund.

Feel incredibly naive for being surprised that Arizona is picking up Hossa's contract

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Good deal for Arizona. Every team is different. If they have excess cap space they should use it to their advantage. Arizona didn't make the rules, they just have to work within them.

Same as Chicago, the Leafs and every other team. Use the rules to your best advantage. Its what they've done.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If this has been answered elsewhere, please point me in that direction. How can a retired player be traded? I was assuming there would be recapture penalties to Chicago for Hossa's contract, and that those penalties couldn't be traded. Has he just not signed his retirement papers yet, so he's only "unofficially retired"?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If this has been answered elsewhere, please point me in that direction. How can a retired player be traded? I was assuming there would be recapture penalties to Chicago for Hossa's contract, and that those penalties couldn't be traded. Has he just not signed his retirement papers yet, so he's only "unofficially retired"?

He is medically retired. Owed the remaining part of his contract because he cannot play.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Good deal for Arizona. Every team is different. If they have excess cap space they should use it to their advantage. Arizona didn't make the rules, they just have to work within them.

Same as Chicago, the Leafs and every other team. Use the rules to your best advantage. Its what they've done.

Well said.....and just like Vegas and the expansion draft. Don't blame teams for using the rules in your favor.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Good stuff and fair deal. What's up with Entwhistle after his D+1? Is there any hope he might become a bottom sixer? How far away is he? Would almost be worth having him on the roster just for the name, his parents did well there!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Good stuff and fair deal. What's up with Entwhistle after his D+1? Is there any hope he might become a bottom sixer? How far away is he? Would almost be worth having him on the roster just for the name, his parents did well there!

He should be a good bottom 6 player. He wasn't a throw in at all, showed nicely at camp.

Reactions: Spectra

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
It's a good deal for the Coyotes, and Hawks get cap relief again.

The only thing is that the Coyotes will need to actually make the next step eventually. They have some great young assets, and a decent amount of talent - but they really need to get that star to start competing rather than treading water.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He should be a good bottom 6 player. He wasn't a throw in at all, showed nicely at camp.

I agree. I don't see this as much of a win for AZ.

What they ended up with was:
1) Moved up around 50-60 spots in the draft if neither team makes the playoffs. Likely going from a pick in the 130's to the low 70's
2) Gained 2 serviceable NHLers who are still RFAs
3) Moved out a contract in Kruger, whose salary is only $2.3 million vs his cap hit of $3.4 million
4) Only need to pay $200K of Hossa's salary with insurance covering the remainder

Mackenzie E. is a prospect who would project to the a 3rd line winger who can check and PK. Other 2 guys were to balance out contracts. And they moved Kruger as mentioned whom they likely didn't want to keep around.

Feniggles

Mar 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm agreeing with you but I'm also going to run off on a rant. :laugh:

Fiscally they were smart deals when you look at the players we were able to add because of it. We really just traded cap space for assets. If this were a big market team, people would be up in arms because they'd want the team to buy it's way back to the playoffs. We are just using our money and assets in a way that works best for our franchise, I see nothing wrong with trading cap space for things we want anyway, its smart business.

If we can string together enough playoff appearances in a decade I guarantee this teams will become more financially stable. It's just the way of sports in AZ, we are a relatively young major city in the grand scheme of things with transplants continuing to flood in. Tech and construction are the two highest growing industries in the state. Laveen (a small city not too far from the Glendale stadium) is expecting 800 houses to be produced and filled in the next 5 years and that adds potential fans. This is just a smaller part of the Phoenix metro. There are other cities adding homes and large condo and apartment complexes. All this is adding to being the 7th highest population in the nation.

Combine that type of growth and base population with a sustained winning culture and fans will show, tickets will sell, and financial sustainability will follow.

You could comparatively look at Detroit, a city losing people and jobs but has a financially stable franchise. It's a much older city with a team that put together 2 and a half decades of winning, despite people leaving and and job security dwindling. If we could put together that type of success consecutively, our franchise can achieve the same type of financial security in a healthier market.

None of this is to talk down on Detroit either, they have done a great job running that franchise and the fans have supported that team for far longer than the last 30 years, but if they spent their last 25 years supporting the same record as us, they may be dealing with a different financial outlook.

Bottom line is, we may not be a traditional market, and there are certainly other factors to consider and include in this, but we have a lot of upside to our franchise. Anyone who can't see the opportunity is not paying attention.

Great post.

Reactions: Chuck Norris Trophy

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Zonas gm is at least interesting becauase he makes moves even tho he is on a budget team

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I agree. I don't see this as much of a win for AZ.

Hinostroza produced at a better P/60 rate than Domi. A RHS RW was a big need in AZ.
Oesterle can actually skate and play both sides, and was up to 20 minutes with Chicago. He is objectively better than Luke Schenn.

On top of this, Arizona cleared out 2 AHL contracts they did not want and got 2 usable NHL assets in return. To do this, they actually saved 400k in real dollars and upgraded a pick for a decent prospect. That's it.

It's not sexy at first glance but it's pretty masterful roster churn if you follow it closely.

Reactions: Jakey53

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Don’t get why people are whining about the Yotes. With current ownership they are never going to spend to the cap so why not take on some dead cap and gain youngish assets at the same time. Not all teams are cap ceiling teams unfortunately.

Reactions: Jakey53

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
So, if you want to dump 5M in cap space, all you need is to trade down from a 3rd round pick to a 5th one and rough it out with meh prospects?

Reactions: Morrison

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
So, if you want to dump 5M in cap space, all you need is to trade down from a 3rd round pick to a 5th one and rough it out with meh prospects?
have to remember its a team trying to pay less than cap min hossa was going to coyotes or sens

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Deals like this make me lol hard at the rando HF fans who seem to think Dallas would have to pay big to move Spezza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad