GDT: Are You Ready to Rummmm...er, Draaaaaaft!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Meh, already starting to look forward to next year's draft. Not feeling too strongly about any of the guys projected to be available at 6oa.

Hoping for Yzerman to pull off some interesting trades though.

I can sort of understand that, but also players can smash through their projected ceilings sometimes - got to have some optimism that 1 or 2 guys taken tonight/ tomorrow do that for us (regardless of which round their drafted in)

Reactions: Lampedampe

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Is next years draft better than this one?

No. I think Lafreniere might end up better than Hughes or Kakko, but the strength of this draft is at the center position. Last year was defense. Next year looks like a bunch of wingers at this point.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
No. I think Lafreniere might end up better than Hughes or Kakko, but the strength of this draft is at the center position. Last year was defense. Next year looks like a bunch of wingers at this point.

Rasmussen - Byfield - Dach

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
If the players in the top 5 go chalk in some order (Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Dach)... I want Zegras but I definitely would not be mad if we drafted Cozens, can't teach size and speed.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
In my limited research (and as @Hen Kolland mentions above) this years and last years draft seem to have more talented players for our specific needs, as compared to next year which seems more scattered.

Well I don't think we should derail this thread too much, so I won't go into next year's draft.

My concern with this year's draft's top 10 (which can also be seen as an advantage) is that it feels very boom or bust. If I were to make a prediction I'd say that this year might have more outright busts in the top 10, compared to previous years. Just a personal opinion though and I'm sure many will disagree.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Reactions: martinez

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Zadina was a consensus #3 for a while and we took him at #6.

Podkolzin was a consensus #3 for a while and we took him at #6.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
I cancelled my cable at the end of the playoffs - does anyone know of a legit way to watch the draft without cable? Feel free to PM me! Thanks in advance.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Long ass work day for sure. I am not expecting a very chalky first round after 2 and am super excited to watch this unfold.

1. Turcotte and Byram are my obvious favorites. I am fully on board with the rumored trade up to 5 if it yields one of these two.
2. If they are gone, one of Krebs, Zegras, Dach, Newhook or Cozens will make me totally content and a happy drunk.
3. 2 + trading back up into the first to score Lassi Thomson will make me a super happy drunk.
4. Walking away with a wing not named Kakko or Boldy will make me a bitter, angry, drunk.
5. If the trade down rumor comes to fruition I will give Stevie the benefit of the doubt if the additional asset is used to get back into the first round (...and spent on Thomson). I do understand the appeal of Seider and I certainly respect the stones it would require.

I have said it before and will say it again, it is really hard to screw up the 6th pick. We can throw darts and walk away with a very quality prospect. Day two (or a trade back up into the first) will define how successful this draft is for us.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What did it say? Has been deleted.

It was an extremely dumb video of Carley Johnston out in the streets of Detroit asking people to pick who would be the next Red Wing at #6. The board had actual top prospects along with Fulton Reed from Mighty Ducks, Daniel Norris, TJ Hockenson, Luke Kennard, Harry Styles. Half the people they showed picking were choosing people who aren't even hockey players.

It made Red Wings "fans" look absolutely stupid. I imagine it was met with some crooked looks and deleted as a result.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
Anyone else see LA avoiding dach. They are badly in need some speed in their lineup. Seems like they would value cozens or even Krebs or zegras more than dach because of their skating

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
There really is no reason for Yzerman to move up or down in this draft. Even if Byram and Turcotte are taken away, that leaves us with one of Zegras or Dach, whom I'm both very high on. It's much better to take one of them and get into the late 1st round with two of our second rounders. I believe we can land a good dman around the 20-30 selections. Guys like Harley or Robertson may still be on board.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad