GDT: Are You Ready to Rummmm...er, Draaaaaaft!

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think Sogaard goes sooner rather than later.

There's some guys McKenzie said had isolated first round support who therefore could go anytime Lundmark, Struble, Johansson and Henriksson. Obviously Yzerman doesn't care about the hive mind of consensus, so buckle up!

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think Sogaard goes sooner rather than later.

There's some guys McKenzie said had isolated first round support who therefore could go anytime Lundmark, Struble, Johansson and Henriksson. Obviously Yzerman doesn't care about the hive mind of consensus, so buckle up!
Likely Kochetkov goes second round along with Sogaard. But one or two of the guys I mentioned a few posts back should still be available in the third...and they've all got good size.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Gotta imagine the Wings know the entire book on Lavoie coming from Halifax and playing with McIsaac and Zadina. Also have to assume he is prioritized 32-34, so it’s a high possibility that he’s not available, but high octane offense with a right hand shot is something we could really use to add some variety in our team.

Assuming they know and like him as a person, the Wings need to be gunning for him in my opinion.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
People bring up times when Stevie has had bad luck drafting. What I would say to try to put your worries to rest is that I really think where he's had his biggest misses tends to be when he seems to have trusted the general consensus on a given pick. On the other hand, when he drafts according to his instincts, to me, seems to be where he's had his biggest successes.

The sports writers and bloggers are off by at least a little bit on almost every single player in every single draft. So personally, I like to see us go against the grain now and then. I like to think the scouts who get paid to look at prospects for teams have more insight than those who do research for magazine posts.

Reactions: Lion Man

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Gotta imagine the Wings know the entire book on Lavoie coming from Halifax and playing with McIsaac and Zadina. Also have to assume he is prioritized 32-34, so it’s a high possibility that he’s not available, but high octane offense with a right hand shot is something we could really use to add some variety in our team.

Assuming they know and like him as a person, the Wings need to be gunning for him in my opinion.

Can I get some help on Lavoie? Seems like a big body player with an ok shot, no hands, and an unbalanced skater. I haven't gone in depth on him beyond 5 minutes of highlights, but I am just not impressed.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Can I get some help on Lavoie? Seems like a big body player with an ok shot, no hands, and an unbalanced skater. I haven't gone in depth on him beyond 5 minutes of highlights, but I am just not impressed.

Here’s your help if you don’t know anything and want a quick synopsis: Google.

I haven’t watched him. All I know about his game is he’s a deceptively strong skater, has an above average shot, plays a new era power game. His tools are mid first round quality.

None of the players here are going to be polished. I think the discussion on Lavoie is similar to Kaliyev and similar to Mantha coming out. Effort level.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I'm glad we didn't pick Cozens...that would've been so "meh". Excited to see how Seider pans out.

How close is the "consensus" to redrafts anyway? Awhile back I made a list of the past 10 drafts and jotted down the top 10. An average of 4 players in every top 10 doesn't go top 10 in a redraft and picks 6-10 were much more noticeable compared to picks 1-5.Of course it's too early for say, 2016 - present, but still. This year it was apparent the after pick 5 the picks would go off the board.

Last edited:

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Here’s your help if you don’t know anything and want a quick synopsis: Google.

I haven’t watched him. All I know about his game is he’s a deceptively strong skater, has an above average shot, plays a new era power game. His tools are mid first round quality.

None of the players here are going to be polished. I think the discussion on Lavoie is similar to Kaliyev and similar to Mantha coming out. Effort level.

This is my google, dammit!

I get that 2nd round players and beyond are not going to be as polished, but he seems just lazy. I don't see him as the type of lazy that Mantha gets pinned as at times, but seems more of a wait for others to do the work and if he gets the puck then he will give *some* effort. If he was a "goal scorer", then sure I'd understand it, but he is not.

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
I mostly made that point because someone earlier said they didn't want to draft him because we don't need another Mantha. Honestly, solely from watching highlights, he seems to have really high end scoring ability, similar to Mantha. Otherwise I'm just stat watching and don't know much about the player. Just surprised to see a player put up points the way he did not get drafted in the 1st round, even with big question marks. Scouts would have to think he is just completely unfixable.
Even Ryan Merkley and Josh Ho-Sang got picked in the first round, despite all the rumored character issues flowing around them..wonder what's the story with Kaliyev,because you can't expect a player that tops 50s in both goals and assists in his draft year to be available in the second round..That said, I expect Ottawa and LA to take a swing at the falling forwards,cause they already picked D in the first round, so not getting my hopes up for Lavoie or Kaliev..Nick Robertson is one of the younger players in this age group, IIRC he is still only 17, so he can still grow a bit and fill out..would be a good pick at 35

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is my google, dammit!

I get that 2nd round players and beyond are not going to be as polished, but he seems just lazy. I don't see him as the type of lazy that Mantha gets pinned as at times, but seems more of a wait for others to do the work and if he gets the puck then he will give *some* effort. If he was a "goal scorer", then sure I'd understand it, but he is not.

I mean he’s played at almost a 0.5 goal per game pace with Halifax over the last two years spanning 130 games. He was over 0.5 goals per game last year. He’s over a point per game over the last 130 games.

Is he the same caliber as Mantha? Probably not. Both Mantha and Lavoie played 130 games in their D-1 and D years combined. Mantha scored 72, Lavoie scored 62. They’re reasonably similar players.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How does Nic Robertson rate vs his brother? Love Jason Robertson going into 2017

Thoughts on Mastrosimone?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Hopefully they announce before the draft starts up again today so there's more trade activity.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Google said Lavoie is not a goal scorer? He had 20 in 23 playoff games and 5 at the Memorial Cup. He was frequently mentioned as one of the best shots in the draft the entire year. 20 in 23 Q games is such a Mantha stat.

Christien

May 1, 2010
How does Nic Robertson rate vs his brother? Love Jason Robertson going into 2017

Thoughts on Mastrosimone?
His older brother plays a more powerforward game and Nic is more of a finesse player imo which makes sense since Nic is a lot smaller than his brother

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I look forward to many years of these baity but what if Holland posts. Not annoying at all.

Nah, not from me anyways. This is a short term thing, first time new guy type of event from my side. Also wasn't meant to bait anyone!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad