Proposal: Are you in favour of trading Brock Boeser?

Would you be in favour of trading Brock Boeser?

• Yes

Votes: 153 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 38 16.8%

• Total voters

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
It doesn't really change things. He'll get a one-year award from the arbitrator and walk straight to UFA. It's the same situation.

The Canucks need to make a decision before the season ends: Are they committing to Boeser or not? If not, they simply have to trade him.

Why? If the return is so low, just let that play out and trade him as a rental, retained, at the deadline next year (or treat him as our own rental if we happen to be headed for a playoff run)

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I myself feel rather reluctant, but I think this is a symptom of having to watch in horror the stupid trades JEB made for seven straight years.

So I guess the closest answer would be I'm really not sure, will leave it to brighter minds than mine.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
It doesn't really change things. He'll get a one-year award from the arbitrator and walk straight to UFA. It's the same situation.

The Canucks need to make a decision before the season ends: Are they committing to Boeser or not? If not, they simply have to trade him.

Boeser has to play 2 more years after this to reach UFA status.

I'm still on the trade Boeser train though if we can use the cap space better. Plus I don't know how much more value he will have if we keep him and he performs better as he will then only be one year from UFA.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Miller was signed long-term at $5.2 million.

Boeser requires a $7.5 million QO.

If Boeser was on the Miller contract - yes, their values would be similar. But he is not. He requires a garbage contract to maintain his services.

Boeser is a Calder runner up and put up like close to Barzal first seasons numbers no? His resume is way better than Millers was at the time . Just compare their previous seasons.

Think of it this way. Dim didn’t even talk to Garlands agent about how much he would sign for before trading the 9th overall for him.

I am not saying all gms are morons and ignore the QO like dim would but if they have a shot at Boeser, a potential 30 goal guy, they will ignore a lot of stuff. Like how Holland ignored all that baggage for Kane .

He’s worth more than when we traded for Miller for sure. Miller was Chris Higgins and Sutter, Bonino levels of value. Boeser is in a different tier.

With our without the QO he is worth a haul. Trust me.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That being said, I don't think you'll see any Atkinson-for-Voracek type moves from us - that would be writing next season off and while I think Rutherford is willing to sell *this* deadline, I think the plan is to try and make the playoffs next year.
This market has been so abused the idea of just making the playoffs is the goal of many fans now.
Rutherford stated "contender" for years to come, that doesn't happen by using the Benning GM method. "Every year is new and nobody knows what is going to happen so no need in trying to make a plan, we take it one day at a time and damn next year".
Rutherford and the new crew don't owe any player allegiance making it easier to do what is necessary to build this team into a decades long contender.
I am sure they look at this group and see assets and trying to project where the team will be in 3 or 4 years, how old player will be and where other teams will be in their cycles. When some players "windows" will be closing.
Kekalainen in Columbus made a low-key great move last summer when he dealt 4 years of Cam Atkinson running through age 36 @ ~$6 million for 2 years of Jakob Voracek at $8.25 million.
A concept lost on Benning, well not really I guess, he did trade away 12 million in cap space and a 1rst round pick for another 30 yr old in decline with a cap hit of 7.25 mil for 6 years, so he got it, he just helped another team to get better and save money.
Honestly Benning did the GM job like he held a grudge for Vancouver because they terminated his hockey career saying he was too small and not tough enough, he punished the fans.

Boeser must be moved.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Boeser has 2 more years or RFA eligibility, not 1.

Reactions: F A N

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
This market has been so abused the idea of just making the playoffs is the goal of many fans now.
Rutherford stated "contender" for years to come, that doesn't happen by using the Benning GM method. "Every year is new and nobody knows what is going to happen so no need in trying to make a plan, we take it one day at a time and damn next year".
Rutherford and the new crew don't owe any player allegiance making it easier to do what is necessary to build this team into a decades long contender.
I am sure they look at this group and see assets and trying to project where the team will be in 3 or 4 years, how old player will be and where other teams will be in their cycles. When some players "windows" will be closing.

I don't disagree, but at the end of the day Francesco Aquilini owns this team and I just don't see him signing off on a plan like that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

No. If Boeser is extended for 1 year he will be an RFA by the end of it.

Edit: Just saw Burke's Evil Spirit's post above.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You're right guys, my timing on Boeser was off. He can't walk straight to UFA, he has 2 years of RFA eligibility left.

But I think my conclusion is the same. The Canucks have to make a decision on him this offseason. Either they figure out if they're going to commit to him long-term, or decide they're going to trade him.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I don't disagree, but at the end of the day Francesco Aquilini owns this team and I just don't see him signing off on a plan like that.
But he already did, it was at the Rutherford introduction that JR stated the goal was for long term real contender status, not knee jerk one off's.
For all Benning's work the team is struggling to get to the mushy middle, capped out and restrained with bad contracts for years to come.
When the Canucks were winning president trophies a one and done in the playoffs was not well taken, after Benning's abuse it seems just trying is good enough
This is not a good team, still.
Better than what has been, but still bad with no future.

Reactions: Tomatoes11

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You're right guys, my timing on Boeser was all off. They have some time here.

It's not the best case scenario, but taking Boeser to arbitration 1) eliminates the need to give him the $7.5M QO and 2) buys time to either negotiate an extension that makes more sense or trade him to a team that wants to extend him.

Unless Boeser goes on a goal scoring tear to finish the season, I think the Canucks have a good arbitration case so I don't see Boeser earning $7.5M next season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's not the best case scenario, but taking Boeser to arbitration 1) eliminates the need to give him the $7.5M QO and 2) buys time to either negotiate an extension that makes more sense or trade him to a team that wants to extend him.

Unless Boeser goes on a goal scoring tear to finish the season, I think the Canucks have a good arbitration case so I don't see Boeser earning $7.5M next season.

I think the Canucks would win the arbitration case, but it really just kicks the can down the road to when they'll have less leverage.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Like I said, if they don’t trade or extend him, it’s a slam dunk to take him to arbitration. But that will not change anything really. Same thing with the second RFA year.

I’m actually trying to determine how much if this situation was caused by the contract (I.e., the high QO) or just Boeser not being very good. Initially I thought it was the former, but as time goes on I think it’s more the latter. What does everyone else think?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Like I said, if they don’t trade or extend him, it’s a slam dunk to take him to arbitration. But that will not change anything really. Same thing with the second RFA year.

I don't expect there to be a hearing but Boeser signed below his QO.

I’m actually trying to determine how much if this situation was caused by the contract (I.e., the high QO) or just Boeser not being very good. Initially I thought it was the former, but as time goes on I think it’s more the latter. What does everyone else think?

It's the latter. The QO wasn't really a concern because at the time we were all expecting the cap to rise and unlike Tkachuk, Boeser has two RFA years remaining and his QO is lower. If you're in a Mark Stone situation, then the chances are he's gone as soon as he hits UFA.

The high QO does give a player leverage but there have been plenty of players who were not given a QO and then re-signed with the team. Reinhart signed a 3 year deal at $6.5M but 2 of those years are UFA years. If Boeser doesn't want to stay he can demand a trade. If not, the team can negotiate a 1-2 year deal for a lower cap hit than $7.5M and both sides avoid the arbitration fight.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

For me it’s the contract. Boeser is still scoring at a 25 goal/50 point pace in what everyone considers a down season. He’s also had some bad luck with the percentages, which if normalized for would bump his numbers up but not to the level they have been in seasons past.

If he were on a 3 year, $5 million per contract I would happily keep him around.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
He won’t sign lower than 7.5. His previous negotiations went down to the wire because he could have easily gotten more at the time but we wouldn’t give it to him. But he finally agreed to compromise most likely based on the QO.

So I really don’t see him taking less. Of course I could be wrong but watch. He isn’t taking less than 7.5. Lol Nor should he.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He won’t sign lower than 7.5. His previous negotiations went down to the wire because he could have easily gotten more at the time but we wouldn’t give it to him. But he finally agreed to compromise most likely based on the QO.

So I really don’t see him taking less. Of course I could be wrong but watch. He isn’t taking less than 7.5. Lol Nor should he.
The market will dictate what he will be worth. His agent will have to read it and determine what the market says about Brock if he were to hit the open market. If it’s $7.5 mill or better then don’t sign for less than the QO. If it reads to be less then decide if you want to take that from the Canucks or would prefer to take that from another team and force a QO offer. Also need to weigh security of a contract with some term be a 1 year deal.

Stecher went from $2.225 to $1.7 as a ufa.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The market will dictate what he will be worth. His agent will have to read it and determine what the market says about Brock if he were to hit the open market. If it’s $7.5 mill or better then don’t sign for less than the QO. If it reads to be less then decide if you want to take that from the Canucks or would prefer to take that from another team and force a QO offer. Also need to weigh security of a contract with some term be a 1 year deal.

Stecher went from $2.225 to $1.7 as a ufa.

That's where team elected arbitration comes in. He'll need to justify $7.5M and based on his season so far I think there's a high chance that he doesn't get that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's where team elected arbitration comes in. He'll need to justify $7.5M and based on his season so far I think there's a high chance that he doesn't get that.
Max drop is 15% so around $1 mill to $6.5 mill. So up to the agent to read the market and inform his client what to expect.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
If he's re-signed I'd like to see something like 3 years @ $6.nn million AAV. This would put him somewhere between 13-20 AAV for RWs.

Is he a mid level 1RW? When he's on, yes. When he's not...no. Doesn't seem likely that he gives up a year of UFA for to much less than his QO, but I'm optimistic he would buy into what JR is building. Wouldn't really want to go longer than 3 years at this point, and don't think he's worth north of $7m.

If that didn't get it done, a 1 year deal at a bit less than his QO would be next best. Don't think he should be paid like a top 10 RW in the league ($7.5m = #10). And don't want to dump him for peanuts. Kinda depends on how Boeser sees the organizations future, and how much he (over)values himself. But I could live with something like 3 years, $20m deal.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
For me it’s the contract. Boeser is still scoring at a 25 goal/50 point pace in what everyone considers a down season. He’s also had some bad luck with the percentages, which if normalized for would bump his numbers up but not to the level they have been in seasons past.

If he were on a 3 year, $5 million per contract I would happily keep him around.

Realistically though, what is the lowest QO we could have seen from Boeser? 6.5 million? Benning definitely prioritized a lower AAV by offering a 7.5 QO in the last year, which was stupid, but I am not sure we realistically could have seen a QO for much lower than 6.5 million. That’s why I tend to think Boeser’s player is the bigger issue.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Realistically though, what is the lowest QO we could have seen from Boeser? 6.5 million? Benning definitely prioritized a lower AAV by offering a 7.5 QO in the last year, which was stupid, but I am not sure we realistically could have seen a QO for much lower than 6.5 million. That’s why I tend to think Boeser’s player is the bigger issue.
That’s what players who take bridge deals do. Point, tkachuk, McAvoy, werenski, Meier, etc.

Brock signed a year before the new cba rules kicked in.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Not really, depends on what we can get for him. Depends on what we get for Miller. Boeser isn’t easily replaceable and still young enough to be apart of a retool, can flip him later if need be. I’d be in no rush to move him but not against it either.

Unfortunately Horvat will be 27 soon, not old at all but he’s stepping right into the prime years of his career and I’m not sure our retool will line up well with that and his UFA status. Benning stayed on for way too long and screwed us with the cap, we need to ride a few things out now and that takes time. We should move Miller now and then make Horvat available and maybe one of the losers for Miller will get a bit more desperate once Horvat hits the market.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad