• Yes, we need another tank year

• No, we need to start inproving

• Undecided, ask me after the first month of two of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Next year we might see one of our biggest influxes of young talents yet.

Batherson.
Norris.
Brannstrom.
Formenton.
Stutzle.
L.Brown.
Maybe Abramov/Balcers/Davidsson.

We can’t afford to tank simply from a developmental standpoint. If we finish bottom 5 sure whatever. But we cannot try to actively tank. In fact, we must try to acquire top line talent to insulate our future young core.

Or else we even risk creating a losing culture that deeply affects our young guys and even Chabot and Tkachuk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sen sational

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would like to see a shift towards the heavy lifting in the team to be performed by the young guys.

Last year we sheltered the kids and asked Ennis, Brown, Hainsey types to carry the team. I’m Ike the developmental approach but with so many kids coming it’s time for some to sink or swim.

Brown, Norris, Bath, Form, Balcers, Abramov, Chaplik, Brann, White should get their chance to play and if they can’t play effective minutes they can go down.

I hope we get to see Lassi too. He was more physical and mean at the u20’s than what people give him credit for.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Hogberg & Nilsson keeping their play up and not bringing Anderson back could be a significant swing in itself.
Yeah I don’t understand that here guys don’t see the problem is goalie. Having better goalie last 3 years and you don’t finish last. How many game we lose by 1 or 2 goals and in overtime

Reactions: Gesus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Next year (as it stands right now), we'll only have 3 vets on the roster. Ryan, Zaitsev and Ansimiov. It really isn't physically possible to "tank," we we won't be able to move any of those guys.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Not looking to tank this year. Would like to see us take advantage of cap strapped teams to get another solid F and D that could be longer term pieces (Tampa). Then bring up a few prospects from Belleville and allow them to play themselves into significant TOI.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Batherson.
Norris.
Brannstrom.
Formenton.
Stutzle.
L.Brown.

We can’t afford to tank simply from a developmental standpoint. If we finish bottom 5 sure whatever. But we cannot try to actively tank. In fact, we must try to acquire top line talent to insulate our future young core.

Or else we even risk creating a losing culture that deeply affects our young guys and even Chabot and Tkachuk.

I think you are mixing up the team versus the fanbase

At no point this past season did I feel DJ and the players were "actively" trying to tank

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think people need to factor in what COVID impacts there will be next season

I think it's fairly uncertain if there will be a completed season next year. I'm also thinking development leagues are even less likely to run.

This is not a bad year to have low expectations, while having some young pieces that could click and get hot.

I also think next year's draft will be extremely difficult to navigate. Again,many leagues may not be able to play, or play heavily reduced schedules. Scouts may not have a lot to go on.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Next year, I will celebrate every Sens goal like it's a Game 7 OT winner. Watching while wishing your team a loss is terrible, and I expect Ottawa to have a realistic shot at another top-5 next season. So no need to tank, especially if hockey karma taught us anything from celebrating Kings win over the Sens game in NHL's last played game. Got LA the 2nd overall pick. :laugh:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think you are mixing up the team versus the fanbase

At no point this past season did I feel DJ and the players were "actively" trying to tank

I agree completely, but my point is I feel we actually going be actively trying to add more talent instead of stay put. Because as it stands, we are looking at bottom 5 just by our current roster next year.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So this is a strong draft right?

If you go by the last 5 years, the top 2 guys in every draft went straight to the nhl and a few of the 3rds and 4ths did also. Including Tkachuk.

This is 6 months away. An extra couple of months to build strength.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 3 and 5 in the league next season

And of course the team will use the names to market tickets
Dubois Heiskenin and Strome are the only top3 picks in the last 5 years not to play the full NHL season after being drafted

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah I don’t understand that here guys don’t see the problem is goalie. Having better goalie last 3 years and you don’t finish last. How many game we lose by 1 or 2 goals and in overtime
Yes, Anderson has been terrible the last couple years and the team would see a lot of improvement with bettter goaltending.

Reactions: Crosside

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The best goaltending in the league is worth less than .28 goals a game compared to what we got last year. Goaltending is the most overrated part of any team sport.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Next year (as it stands right now), we'll only have 3 vets on the roster. Ryan, Zaitsev and Ansimiov. It really isn't physically possible to "tank," we we won't be able to move any of those guys.
Other vets are Tierney, Brown, Reilly, Nilsson and likely Boro.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The best goaltending in the league is worth less than .28 goals a game compared to what we got last year. Goaltending is the most overrated part of any team sport.
It’s just in this board people don’t care about having a good goalie. Probably have one top 10 in the league for one time, have changing ours mentality

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
There's a difference between a sub par goalie and someone as demoralizingly bad like Anderson has been for 3 years running.

They need someone they can have some confidence in.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Can we bump this thread at training camp? I have no idea at the moment

Also when does the free agency happens? As usual on July 1st?

There's more to goaltending than stats though. As a goalie, I have witnessed so many times that our work can influence a game a lot

Yes, sometimes the goalies impact is not that felt but being consistent, not giving bad or backbreaking goals, making key saves, stealing goals away, keeping your team in the 1st when you get dominated, etc, so many things a goalie has the power to do. All this stuff is not always reflected in stats but it surely has an impact.

I don't want the Sens to draft Askarov (at least not top-15) but great goaltending is important in the NHL if you don't want to be at a disadvantage vs other teams because most have solid goaltending.

A team plays with more confidence when they are confident in their goalie. EX : Habs

Another Ex : don't you think the Sens beat the Sabres in 2006 if they had Hasek instead of rookie Emery?

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Batherson.
Norris.
Brannstrom.
Formenton.
Stutzle.
L.Brown.

Acquiring top line talent to insulate the future young core is not possible for a budget team that focuses on acquiring LTIR players to require insurance to pay the salaries and reach the Cap floor in a Covid-19 pandemic environment. We need more highly skilled players from the drafts who will play on lower cost ELC and RFA type contracts.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree completely, but my point is I feel we actually going be actively trying to add more talent instead of stay put. Because as it stands, we are looking at bottom 5 just by our current roster next year.

I think next year is going to be interesting

We've got a lot of guys that have been brought along slowly. They're not rookies, they'll be young NHLers. I'm thinking Batherson, Brannstrom, Balcers and to a lesser extent Wolanin. And we've got Brown who technically would be a rookie but also in his D+ 5 year. It's hard to say what impact they will have versus the guys that have departed. Then you've got Formenton and Norris. These guys are all older, they've spent time ripening. Could that group of players be better than what departed? Yes possibly.

Then you're looking at 3OA and 5OA.

I think it's going to be an exciting season.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think next year is going to be interesting

We've got a lot of guys that have been brought along slowly. They're not rookies, they'll be young NHLers. I'm thinking Batherson, Brannstrom, Balcers and to a lesser extent Wolanin. And we've got Brown who technically would be a rookie but also in his D+ 5 year. It's hard to say what impact they will have versus the guys that have departed. Then you've got Formenton and Norris. These guys are all older, they've spent time ripening. Could that group of players be better than what departed? Yes possibly.

Then you're looking at 3OA and 5OA.

I think it's going to be an exciting season.
Just not have Anderson in net , would be exciting

Reactions: JD1

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Most of those guys don't have contracts for next year, and Nilsson isn't really a vet (bit early to call him that).
Nilsson is 30 and has 7 NHL seasons under his belt, how is that not a veteran player ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad