• Yes, we need another tank year

• No, we need to start inproving

• Undecided, ask me after the first month of two of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Acquiring top line talent to insulate the future young core is not possible for a budget team that focuses on acquiring LTIR players to require insurance to pay the salaries and reach the Cap floor in a Covid-19 pandemic environment. We need more highly skilled players from the drafts who will play on lower cost ELC and RFA type contracts.

Then we face the very real reality of becoming the next Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona or heck even Toronto(up until they got Tavares). It doesn't have to be top line, but as long as it's very good top 6 talent.

That's the difference between Chicago, Pitts, Washington, and LA being in the bottom and then perennial contenders vs the teams I mentioned above.

It's common knowledge to insulate your team with veteran leadership and skilled talent so that the young guys are eased into a team that already has strong work ethic and winning culture engrained in them.

Last year we were in almost every game because our young core group are/were remarkable leaders and thinkers of the game (Pageau, C.Brown, Tkachuk, Chabot, Hainsey) but we still finished bottom 5. Now time to give them some support. Like I said, doesn't have to be top pairing D or top line forward. But top 6 and top 4 for sure.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Then we face the very real reality of becoming the next Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona or heck even Toronto(up until they got Tavares). It doesn't have to be top line, but as long as it's very good top 6 talent.

That's the difference between Chicago, Pitts, Washington, and LA being in the bottom and then perennial contenders vs the teams I mentioned above.

It's common knowledge to insulate your team with veteran leadership and skilled talent so that the young guys are eased into a team that already has strong work ethic and winning culture engrained in them.

Last year we were in almost every game because our young core group are/were remarkable leaders and thinkers of the game (Pageau, C.Brown, Tkachuk, Chabot, Hainsey) but we still finished bottom 5. Now time to give them some support. Like I said, doesn't have to be top pairing D or top line forward. But top 6 and top 4 for sure.

The only notable loss from last year's team is Pageau. The covid situation might mean Hainsey is done after such a long layoff. More Brannstrom and more Jaros should be an upgrade over less Hainsey. And I'd like to see an injury free season from Colin White which should provide some relief from losing Pageau.

We're going to have a young team, no doubt. But it's going to be a big and fast team. I only see 3 rookies with significant time next season: Formenton, Norris and one of the two high picks. And the former two have full ahl pro seasons under their belt. We're going to have a lot of guys in that 21 to 25 age band and we should be able to play with a lot of energy.

If this team has what it thinks it has in our young player pool, i don't see a bottom 5 finish.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The only notable loss from last year's team is Pageau. The covid situation might mean Hainsey is done after such a long layoff. More Brannstrom and more Jaros should be an upgrade over less Hainsey. And I'd like to see an injury free season from Colin White which should provide some relief from losing Pageau.

We're going to have a young team, no doubt. But it's going to be a big and fast team. I only see 3 rookies with significant time next season: Formenton, Norris and one of the two high picks. And the former two have full ahl pro seasons under their belt. We're going to have a lot of guys in that 21 to 25 age band and we should be able to play with a lot of energy.

If this team has what it thinks it has in our young player pool, i don't see a bottom 5 finish.

We lost Ennis who unfortunately was one of our best players. Let’s drop the “injury free” protection from White. He played 62 games last year in a short season. He took one game in the AHL on his rehab/conditioning. If he wasn’t injury free he wouldn’t have played. He could have taken 4-6 extra weeks off and no one would cared if it got him healthy.... or at least playing the way “people” think he can if he is healthy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We lost Ennis who unfortunately was one of our best players.

031c110c38fc5de401036eb4d00b10b7.gif

Man, a lot of offensive chances died on the end of his stick.

I liked his gumption but not much else.

Reactions: branch and Sweatred

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sweatred said:
Let’s drop the “injury free” protection from White. He played 62 games last year in a short season. He took one game in the AHL on his rehab/conditioning. If he wasn’t injury free he wouldn’t have played. He could have taken 4-6 extra weeks off and no one would cared if it got him healthy.... or at least playing the way “people” think he can if he is healthy.

There's a difference between being injured and being conditioned.

There is absolutely no substitute for competitive league play no matter how many times you train.

It's not an excuse, it's reality.

I wasn't happy about White's performance but it's asinine to assume that this past season is emblematic of his play going forward. For one thing, it throws out his previous season where he demonstrated an impressive forecheck, speed and ability to turn pucks over and draw penalties?

Just like I wasn't going to judge Pageau based on what he did after hurting himself at camp either.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There's a difference between being injured and being conditioned.

There is absolutely no substitute for competitive league play no matter how many times you train.

It's not an excuse, it's reality.

I wasn't happy about White's performance but it's asinine to assume that this past season is emblematic of his play going forward. For one thing, it throws out his previous season where he demonstrated an impressive forecheck, speed and ability to turn pucks over and draw penalties?

Just like I wasn't going to judge Pageau based on what he did after hurting himself at camp either.

Let’s not get into a huge White debate. I see his “Stone” year as the outlier (and I didn’t think he was that good) amongst a weak AHL showing etc and I’m worried what we saw last year is closer to what we will get for the next 4 years.

Either way, more than anything I would love to see him gain strength And play an effective top 6/9 roll with us.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Let’s not get into a huge White debate. I see his “Stone” year as the outlier amongst a weak AHL showing etc and I’m worried what we saw last year is closer to what we will get for the next 4 years. Either way, more than anything I would love to see him gain strength And play an effective top 6/9 roll with us.

The microscope is on him now.

Just like it was on Pageau last year. The previous season was his big chance to step up and it was ruined by injury. That brought him into a contract year and he really had to show what he could do under that kind of pressure. Now that pressure is justifiably on Colin White to show that he deserved that contract of his.

My judgment will be made based on how he plays next year, provided he isn't grievously injured again right at the start of the season, in which case, his reputation becomes that of damaged goods.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The microscope is on him now.

Just like it was on Pageau last year. The previous season was his big chance to step up and it was ruined by injury. That brought him into a contract year and he really had to show what he could do under that kind of pressure. Now that pressure is justifiably on Colin White to show that he deserved that contract of his.

My judgment will be made based on how he plays next year, provided he isn't grievously injured again right at the start of the season, in which case, his reputation becomes that of damaged goods.

Pageau was motivated by a UFA pay day. White already has his $$$. Hopefully he takes a step. The best thing for the Sens would for him to show he can carry 1-3C or 1-3RW. We need some insulation for Brown, Norris, Batherson, Formenton, and possibly Stutzle. It would be nice if White could provide some of that vs needing it himself.

I’d like to see a top 9F type xGAR season from him.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We lost Ennis who unfortunately was one of our best players. Let’s drop the “injury free” protection from White. He played 62 games last year in a short season. He took one game in the AHL on his rehab/conditioning. If he wasn’t injury free he wouldn’t have played. He could have taken 4-6 extra weeks off and no one would cared if it got him healthy.... or at least playing the way “people” think he can if he is healthy.

White had a hip injury in camp no? He came back from that early no? I remember it being a week earlier than the 3 to 5 week estimate.
This documents that injùry timeline

Colin White is Going to Be Fine

He clearly didn't have jump in his legs before he went out or when he returned. And if you couldn't see that, all i can say is it must be painful to not understand something that you appear to love...hockey

Yes Ennis was one of our better players...but let's see how a guy like Batherson does with that ice time before we declare a big loss....personally i am confident that Batherson puts up more than Ennis's .5 ppg with Ennis's icetime and opportunity

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Let’s not get into a huge White debate. I see his “Stone” year as the outlier (and I didn’t think he was that good) amongst a weak AHL showing etc and I’m worried what we saw last year is closer to what we will get for the next 4 years.

Either way, more than anything I would love to see him gain strength And play an effective top 6/9 roll with us.

Proceeds to argue about White in every thread

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
White had a hip injury in camp no? He came back from that early no? I remember it being a week earlier than the 3 to 5 week estimate.
This documents that injùry timeline

Colin White is Going to Be Fine

He clearly didn't have jump in his legs before he went out or when he returned. And if you couldn't see that, all i can say is it must be painful to not understand something that you appear to love...hockey

Yes Ennis was one of our better players...but let's see how a guy like Batherson does with that ice time before we declare a big loss....personally i am confident that Batherson puts up more than Ennis's .5 ppg with Ennis's icetime and opportunity

Sorta semantics ... he brought the injury up late after a brutal start. In the end he had a terrible year. If it was because he was injured he should have sat out. He clearly wanted to play and was cleared to play. Let’s hope he comes back stronger in 2020-21.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sorta semantics ... he brought the injury up late after a brutal start. In the end he had a terrible year. If it was because he was injured he should have sat out. He clearly wanted to play and was cleared to play. Let’s hope he comes back stronger in 2020-21.

No, it's not semantics. That just fits your narrative. He was injured in camp. Tried to play thru. Couldn't. Shut down. And frankly came back early. Sometime ago i put together a post on White's season split roughly in two. The difference between the halfs is significant. You can attribute that difference to anything you like. Personally I attribute it to inury. Why? Because it was evident watching him skate that he wasn't close to the level he was skating at the year prior

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the time to start improving for Ottawa will be after the Seattle expansion draft.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No, it's not semantics. That just fits your narrative. He was injured in camp. Tried to play thru. Couldn't. Shut down. And frankly came back early. Sometime ago i put together a post on White's season split roughly in two. The difference between the halfs is significant. You can attribute that difference to anything you like. Personally I attribute it to inury. Why? Because it was evident watching him skate that he wasn't close to the level he was skating at the year prior

I appreciate the discussion. Let’s move past “how injured was he ” ... to why do you think he played injured? Why did the Sens clear him to play ?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I appreciate the discussion. Let’s move past “how injured was he ” ... to why do you think he played injured? Why did the Sens clear him to play ?
Guys try to play thru injury all the time and end up getting shit down...it's not uncommon

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Guys try to play thru injury all the time and end up getting shit down...it's not uncommon

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
All things considered, who are the UFAs that would want to come play in Ottawa without significant overpayment? Even in our heyday of competitiveness, it was very difficult for this team to attract even medium-level free agent talent.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I see a bottom quartile finish with a real possibility of being in the bottom 4. The roster has too many holes, all being at the high end of the forwards, defensemen and goaltending positions. The team has traded away its quality veterans for picks, prospects and fillers. It is going to take another 2 or 3 seasons for the picks and prospects to develop sufficiently to compete for a playoff spot. The team will need 1 or 2 more top 1-3 draft picks to become a SC contending team, or get lucky with our other picks and prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad