Are you happy that Phil Kessel is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tis the season to be jolly, Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Wonder if visions of sugar plum fairies are dancing in Kessel's head dreaming of what once was, when he checks in on the Leafs seeing Komarov with 12 goals (replacing him) while he has just 9.

Seeing his former linemates JVR and Bozie with more points than him, players once seen as holding him back or he was responsible for of riding his coat tails, and now sailing along as if he was never there.

Remembering back to a time when a former GM praised his every move and said he would trade him for Seguin and Hamilton again in a heartbeat, claiming he was the star, while among the top scorers in the league & not now buried over 100 players deep in the player scoring stats.

A little envious now seeing a new coach behind Leafs bench excelling, that he can't help but feel a little responsible for being there if not for his "coach killer" reputation and taking out his processors to give him that opportunity now.

He now finds himself on the outside looking in, to a team on the rise gaining momentum and fan support with every passing game.

images
images

No more salute gate, the tossing 81 jersey's on the ice in bitter disappointment, wearing bags over their heads reading "overpaid and uncoachable" ashamed of their team.

The story has a happy ending for Leaf Nation only not for Kessel.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I was appalled by his lack of effort last season. I can't cheer with conviction for a hockey player like that.

Delighted he's gone. I've been suspicious of his character since they downgraded him before his draft. The fact they got anything for him is great - I would have sent a pick with him (or traded him before) to get out of/avoid that contract.

I didn't expect him to perform as poorly as he has in Pittsburgh so far but I also was confident he'd never perform consistently to earn his $8 mil/yr cap hit for the next seven seasons either. He's a buyout or retirement waiting to happen - the only question was when.

If your game depends on speed, you have to take care of your body and be in world class shape as you age. Phil's obviously been iffy in that department and it may be catching up to him sooner than many thought it would. I still expect he's got some good goal scoring seasons left in him. For the Pens sake and the NHL's, I hope so.

I don't wish anything bad for him. I'm just really glad he's not wearing a Leafs jersey because I do not think he's a character you could build a team around.

Mad Brills*

yes, but I do wonder if his contract wasn't the bargain we all thought it was.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't miss anything about Phil or that lousy team we had under Hora-suck. I am so happy he's gone. I was willing to give a draft pick to get rid of him at the end. Instead we got a descent prospect and a potential first rounder

You look at Komarov. He had concussion problems last year, yet he comes to play. Puts in a honest man's effort. If Phil was stil here, komo gets half of the ice time

I wish Phil well. He was never going to be a true Leafs

LEAFStalk

Dec 20, 2015
The worst thing about this trade is the first-rounder (lottery protected) which we may never get if the Pens don't make the playoffs for the next two years...we took back salary AND agreed to their conditions surrounding the first-rounder...I'm sure we could've played a little hardball and convinced them to make the pick unprotected. Hopefully they get their acts together and squeak into the playoffs

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The worst thing about this trade is the first-rounder (lottery protected) which we may never get if the Pens don't make the playoffs for the next two years...we took back salary AND agreed to their conditions surrounding the first-rounder...I'm sure we could've played a little hardball and convinced them to make the pick unprotected. Hopefully they get their acts together and squeak into the playoffs

You should have told management, they were waiting for your input.

One assist in his last 8 games. Thank God we were not stuck with him. Good job Shanny.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think the days of "non protected" first round picks being traded will be coming to a close soon - especially now that the draft lottery has been expanded.

GMs tend to be slow learners but even the most thick headed ones will see the dangers of moving non protected firsts.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Right now it looks good for us, but something I feel a lot of people are overlooking is that Babcock >>> Carlyle > Wilson > Sullivan > Johnston

So whatever Kessel is doing in Pittsburgh isn't necessarily representative of what he'd be doing here.

Not to mention the familiarity with Bozak/JVR.

I am glad that he's not working out for Pittsburgh because who wants a rival team to have success, but I do think we sold extremely low on Kessel and, considering how this season is going for certain teams, very likely missed out on much bigger fish than Kapanen + Harrington + (at this rate) a 2nd

It's very likely a team like Anaheim or Colorado might've been eager to make a deal better than what we got from Pittsburgh.

So while I don't miss Kessel, I do think we should have waited one more year to see what he could do under Babcock.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I don't miss anything about Phil or that lousy team we had under Hora-suck. I am so happy he's gone. I was willing to give a draft pick to get rid of him at the end. Instead we got a descent prospect and a potential first rounder

You look at Komarov. He had concussion problems last year, yet he comes to play. Puts in a honest man's effort. If Phil was stil here, komo gets half of the ice time

I wish Phil well. He was never going to be a true Leafs

That's a lot of misplaced frustration towards Horachek.

Management did not do a single thing to help him, and dealt the few guys making earnest contributions at the deadline to further remove his chances at icing a competitive team.

He was also clearly instructed to get the veterans accustomed to the new "system" that Babcock (or, if unsuccessful, Guy Boucher) would have been implementing.

Horachek was, just like Nonis, a fall guy that Shanahan could dangle in front of the Leafs' fans and blame for the terrible end to the 2014-15 season, when really, those two (especially Horachek) had their hands tied.

And don't get me wrong, it was the right move by Shanahan. But Horachek deserves a better fate.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think the days of "non protected" first round picks being traded will be coming to a close soon - especially now that the draft lottery has been expanded.

GMs tend to be slow learners but even the most thick headed ones will see the dangers of moving non protected firsts.

Agreed. Especially with the extra point from OT/SO.

The playoff races are so close. Imagine missing the playoffs by one point, then winning the lottery, only you traded your 1st for a rental like Stamkos. Yikes...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Well you could put the same blame on Malkin there who was the free man while Kessel had the other guy tied up against the boards.. and how is Spooner a free wallet?
Think you might have some numbers confused? Kessel's still 81 on Pitt, he's the one standing around just waiting for his teammates to win the puck. Spooner moves in, gets the puck, cuts in to the net, and Kessel lazily skates after him playing token d.

IMO there were numerous places he should have helped out an hustled there - could have got the puck on the boards, could have covered Spooner when he saw him moving in, could have actually skated hard after Spooner when he went to the net, which would have also taken away the pass. Instead he took the lazy, soft, no contact/no effout route, leaving a big hole in Pitt's d for an easy Bruins goal.

Also, the goal scorer was Vatrano, not Spooner, which is why I said "on this goal by Boston's free wallet". Vatrano was an undrafted pickup by the Bs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That's a lot of misplaced frustration towards Horachek.

Management did not do a single thing to help him, and dealt the few guys making earnest contributions at the deadline to further remove his chances at icing a competitive team.

He was also clearly instructed to get the veterans accustomed to the new "system" that Babcock (or, if unsuccessful, Guy Boucher) would have been implementing.

Horachek was, just like Nonis, a fall guy that Shanahan could dangle in front of the Leafs' fans and blame for the terrible end to the 2014-15 season, when really, those two (especially Horachek) had their hands tied.

And don't get me wrong, it was the right move by Shanahan. But Horachek deserves a better fate.

he totally does, and quite frankly he doesn't get any blame from me. maybe the "why the ef, didn't he bench Phil at least once." or anything. but for me this entire team totally copped a hissy fit and it irks me a lot that a lot of people tend to excuse that by simply blaming the coach.

big fat wrong there, imo.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Phil may I say this. Actually liked Toronto. Reminded him of Minnesota, but Phil is Phil and Mike is Mike, it wasn't in the cards. They had a chat yes and the rest is history, the majority here should be able to figure out that a marriage wasn't to be. And why.

That being said, if Phil had bent to Mike's way, no doubt it would have been a lot more exciting this year. Something that would have challenged both Mike and Phil.

Phil appears to have peaked, as he is no longer the man, and the other man, Sidney is also not appearing to be anything like he was. A curious situation that if I was interested I suppose I could hear the excuses through the grapevine but so far who cares, it is what it is.

Phil and Sidney are not bringing us a first round pick any time soon. That is bad news for us.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Right now it looks good for us, but something I feel a lot of people are overlooking is that Babcock >>> Carlyle > Wilson > Sullivan > Johnston

So whatever Kessel is doing in Pittsburgh isn't necessarily representative of what he'd be doing here.

I am glad that he's not working out for Pittsburgh because who wants a rival team to have success, but I do think we sold extremely low on Kessel and, considering how this season is going for certain teams, very likely missed out on much bigger fish than Kapanen + Harrington + (at this rate) a 2nd

It's very likely a team like Anaheim or Colorado might've been eager to make a deal better than what we got from Pittsburgh.

So while I don't miss Kessel, I do think we should have waited one more year to see what he could do under Babcock.

It's very likely? Based on what?

Lets also completely ignore the fact that neither of those teams were on Kessel's NTC list of teams that he could be traded to.

Lastly, Babcock has no time for individuals that don't want to work hard & learn. Kessel would have just pouted in the corner counting his money.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Wasn't happy about what we got in return, but he had to go.

Watching his new team underachieve has been a surprise, watching HIM underachieve has not.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
y'all need to get over kessel. In his time here he was my fav player but i no longer care too much, and y'all shouldn't either.

I'm just bad that our "brilliant" management team couldn't even get an unprotected first for him.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
y'all need to get over kessel. In his time here he was my fav player but i no longer care too much, and y'all shouldn't either.

I'm just bad that our "brilliant" management team couldn't even get an unprotected first for him.

No kidding. He's really tearing up the league this year.

The Leafs got screwed on that one - who would imagine that the Penguins would be sitting out of a playoff berth in December with Phil added to their line-up?

Maybe JR did.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

No could do.

Someone would have had to bail Babs out on bail after he'd strangle Phil if a trade hadn't been made.

It would have been toxic. A coach who gives a **** and a player who doesn't.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Does Babcock come to Toronto with Phil here? Would be surprised if Babcock made it a condition he goes. He came here to get rid of the 'Phil 'my belly with hot dogs' Kessel from the team, not put up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad