Are you happy that Phil Kessel is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
I'm not angered at all , why would i be ? He's not our problem anymore and whether he struggles or performs well with the Pens and there two elite centers (which we don't have) the only concern for me is the conditional pick .

i just asked what point you were trying to make by bringing up struggling players around the league if it wasn't to deflect attention away from Kessel sub par season so far .

Yeah sorry, I find it a bit difficult to post in the Kessel thread. I found some of the hate unfair.

You were right though, I was inadvertently derailing the thread and I didn't mean to.

Overall I was just pointing to the fact that yes Kessel is having a bad year but so are a lot of other players. Comparing how well Bozak and Komarov are doing without Kessel is fair. Not disputing that. I'm just amazed that it's not only Kessel doing so bad. How does this happen to so many players at the same time?

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Man did Burke ever set this franchise back for years. I guess we wouldn't have Dubas/Hunter/Babcock without all his mistakes...so theres that.

He was great.

"Stocking the cupboards!"
"Free wallet!"
"Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence!"
"Best goalie not in the NHL!"

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Kessel is an addition by subtraction for the Leafs and a subtraction by addition for the Pens.
While it could be fair to say addition by subtraction for the Leafs imo it's unjust to blame the Pens woes on Phil. They were struggling last year and the year before. They've been trending downwards for 3 or 4 years imo. I believe that's one reason why they went after Kessel.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If you have an unbiased opinion on Kessel I suggest you abort this thread ASAP. This is a thread for those who blame missing out on Tyler on Kessel, who blame the last 5 years on Kessel etc.

Seriously this is a bash Kessel thread and nothing more. Even if you do want to bash him, if your not saying crazy things like 29 teams in the league don't want Kessel or Kessel = Bozak < Crosby <<< Hartnell I still don't think this is a thread for you.

OvenMittz*

If you have an unbiased opinion on Kessel I suggest you abort this thread ASAP. This is a thread for those who blame missing out on Tyler on Kessel, who blame the last 5 years on Kessel etc.

Seriously this is a bash Kessel thread and nothing more. Even if you do want to bash him, if your not saying crazy things like 29 teams in the league don't want Kessel or Kessel = Bozak < Crosby <<< Hartnell I still don't think this is a thread for you.

I completely agree with this. Kessel whether you like it or not was a game changer, and our best forward for years.. He put up top 5 production numbers while playing with the leafs.

It wasn't working out here in Toronto for him and there was no building blocks put in place to help Kessel succeed either, but he still put up great numbers. He is not a Stud defensively but thats not why we got him here to begin with.

Kessel is now in Pitts but he is still putting up numbers (not great but the whole team is doing bad as well). We got what we got for him and we're moving on.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
This thread is about Kessel trade and the Leafs. ;)

The Pens have made the playoffs for 9 straight years and add Kessel in hopes he puts them over the top and makes them playoff contenders however they're now struggling mightily, already fired their coach and in total turmoil. Pens PP was top 10 last year and add Kessel and now the 3rd worst with him.

I'm betting GM Rutherford is having some serious second thoughts about making the Kessel trade and likely regrets it based on the results. In fact he might have sealed his own fate and faces getting fired.

On the other hand Leafs management must be jumping for joy now, thankful they were able to dump Kessel when they did, because based on how poorly he is doing statistically he would be virtually impossible to deal now with that massive contract and they would have that hanging around their necks now. I'm in the same camp as Leafs management now and thankful Kessel is now Pens headache and not my Leafs.

I have no idea why he brought in an 8M scoring winger instead of a D what with the massive holes they have at that position. Their D outside of Letang is soooo bad.

I think part of the reason for the reduced scoring in Pittsburgh this year for their star players is the complete lack of puck-moving D.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I have no idea why he brought in an 8M scoring winger instead of a D what with the massive holes they have at that position. Their D outside of Letang is soooo bad.

I think part of the reason for the reduced scoring in Pittsburgh this year for their star players is the complete lack of puck-moving D.

He brought in a $6.8M winger. At that salary, Kessel looks a lot better.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He brought in a $6.8M winger. At that salary, Kessel looks a lot better.

A fact that keeps getting overlooked in many of these posts.

Kessel's actual salary is irrelevant - what matters is his cap hit. Not to mention, one of the Pens biggest needs over the past few years has been a scoring winger.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I don't cheer for him to succeed or fail. He's gone. Who cares. Even though I guess if he had gone and had the amazing season being fed by Sid that was predicted there would be a lot of people saying I told you so on these boards.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
I never bought into the idea that what Kessel needed was a top center. Him struggling in Pittsburgh is not much of a suprise. He is a rush shooter and a very predictable one at that. He wants the puck and has no ability to one time the puck. He plays like a center once he passes the red line. If you have another guy on the same line that also wants the puck they are only going to get in each others way. He's a good play maker with a great yet predictable shot. He's also lazy and doesn't compete which is why he was a cancer for this team and had to go.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I never bought into the idea that what Kessel needed was a top center. Him struggling in Pittsburgh is not much of a suprise. He is a rush shooter and a very predictable one at that. He wants the puck and has no ability to one time the puck. He plays like a center once he passes the red line. If you have another guy on the same line that also wants the puck they are only going to get in each others way. He's a good play maker with a great yet predictable shot. He's also lazy and doesn't compete which is why he was a cancer for this team and had to go.

You pretty much nailed it with this post.

Well said.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kessel's play reflects more on the quality of coaching and management. He is what he is - an offensive player with lousy defensive play (hardly unique here the same can be said of many players). If he is your team's premier forward/player, then management has been lousy at team building.

If he's getting 20+ minutes a night, or trying to be used in effective roles (ie having him dump and chase) then your coaching doesn't understand how to use him effectively.

Kessel is the ultimate "less is more" player - limit his even strength Icetime to prevent him from being a major defensive liability and give him tons of time on the power play. I think the new pens coach will learn from others mistakes and find a better way of utilizing his strengths.

I think the idea that his shot was predictable is a bit off - yes you knew he would never take a slap shot. But his release was so quick it made the shot location very unpredictable. You don't hit 35 goals in today's NHL by being predictable.

I also wish we could get passed the use of the term "cancer" to describe a players relationship in a dressing room when nobody on these forums is even remotely qualified to comment on.

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Kessel's play reflects more on the quality of coaching and management. He is what he is - an offensive player with lousy defensive play (hardly unique here the same can be said of many players). If he is your team's premier forward/player, then management has been lousy at team building.

If he's getting 20+ minutes a night,nor trying to be used in effective roles (ie having him dump and chase) then your coaching doesn't understand how to use him effectively.

Kessel is the ultimate "less is more" player - limit his even strength Icetime to prevent him from being a major defensive liability and give him tons of time on the power play. I think the new pens coach will learn from others mistakes and find a better way of utilizing his strengths.

I think the idea that his shot was predictable is a bit off - yes you knew he would never take a slap shot. But his release was so quick it made the shot location very unpredictable. You don't hit 35 goals in today's NHL by being predictable.

I also wish we could get passed the use of the term "cancer" to describe a players relationship in a dressing room when nobody on these forums is even remotely qualified to comment on.

That was an interesting thing to say. He has one of the best shots in hockey. If by predictable he meant he shoots and scores, sure. Agreed with everything else both of you said though

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Some classic Kessel d on this goal by Boston's free wallet the other night:

[NHL]2015020477-82-ingame-h[/NHL]

Love the contrast between Kessel and Spooner's effort to get the puck.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I've watched Kessel a few times and he really looks terrible. I'm sure the Pens were expecting the Olympics Kessel and what they got was more like last year's 2nd half tank Kessel. He is playing slightly better defensively, but you don't put Kessel on your team for his defense.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Every time I miss Phil the Thrill, I watch one of the kids backchecking and I think to myself "Phil Who?"

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
A fact that keeps getting overlooked in many of these posts.

Kessel's actual salary is irrelevant - what matters is his cap hit. Not to mention, one of the Pens biggest needs over the past few years has been a scoring winger.

You guys need to pop over to the PGT in the Pens forum. They can't stand Kessel and want Harrington/Kapanen/1st back...even at 6.8M per.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Some classic Kessel d on this goal by Boston's free wallet the other night:

[NHL]2015020477-82-ingame-h[/NHL]

Love the contrast between Kessel and Spooner's effort to get the puck.

Well you could put the same blame on Malkin there who was the free man while Kessel had the other guy tied up against the boards.. and how is Spooner a free wallet?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Well you could put the same blame on Malkin there who was the free man while Kessel had the other guy tied up against the boards.. and how is Spooner a free wallet?

Kessel had nobody tied up, he was the guy standing by the boards doing nothing, #81.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Kessel had nobody tied up, he was the guy standing by the boards doing nothing, #81.

There were already two penguins on the puck. Kessel was waiting for someone in the 2v1 situation to get the puck loose. Spooner was the 2nd Bruin in and picked the puck up clean. Kessel was a little lazy in not getting a stick on the shooter, but that play happened pretty fast. I'd say the two Penguins who lost the 2v1 battle on the boards are more responsible for that goal than Kessel.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If anything Kessel was too close to the puck battle and in a poor defensive position to affect the play. I wouldn't call it laziness, just his usual cheating for the breakout rush instead of anticipating what might happen if the 2on1 puck battle was lost.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
There were already two penguins on the puck. Kessel was waiting for someone in the 2v1 situation to get the puck loose. Spooner was the 2nd Bruin in and picked the puck up clean. Kessel was a little lazy in not getting a stick on the shooter, but that play happened pretty fast. I'd say the two Penguins who lost the 2v1 battle on the boards are more responsible for that goal than Kessel.

Even though he's gone, some still can't let it go. I wish him the best in steel town and hope things turn around for him. That team just is not getting it Done. Of course with a D like that....

And Kessel needs to be playing with a sniper. Phil is used to carrying the play not waiting on someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad