Are you happy that Phil Kessel is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kessel is making $10 mil in real money this season and people forget that Pittsburgh made the Leafs eat his $4 mil signing bonus due on July 1st before they acquired him and then forced the Leafs to retain $1.2 mil for the next 7 years.

Shanny & Leafs were so desperate to get rid of Phil that they're willing to pay him $5.2 mil to play for the Pens this year alone, and $12.4 mil altogether.

Leafs essentially sent a cheque for $12.4 mil along with Phil to help cover his salary for the Pens throughout the course of his contract, which is equivalent to paying Pittsburgh to take Kessel off their hands.

Leafs foolishly gave Kessel an 8 year $64 mil deal, then paid him $10 mil the first season and picked up $12.4 of the term of the deal so Pens are getting him now at $41.6 mil (over 7 years) = $ 5.94 mil per season on average.

The real fools in all of this are the Pittsburgh Penguins, who are now $40 million plus deep in on a six year commitment to a rapidly depreciating "asset". The Leafs cut their losses and recouped a couple of prospects. The next stop for Pittsburgh could likely be a big time buyout and a destroyed cap for a dozen years.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
The sad part is that wasn't humour but a true fact as those players are all actually tied with Kessel in points this year.

Here is the NHL scoring leaders : http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/points/sort/points/count/81

I didn't make it up just presented the facts.

Oh believe me, it's comical.

Based on your simplistic logic (facts) Bozak is as good or better than

Getzlaf
Toews
Thornton
Parise

because he has as many or more points than all these players, playing on a weak team and is only 1 pt behind

Perry
Kopitar
Crosby

so really he's pretty much on par with these guys too.

Sample size means a lot this year because like Kessel, there are a number of players that aren't producing like their past stats indicate they should be. With and without Kessel, Crosby has been slumping terribly.

You seem like a very knowledgeable poster here. Why would you go and make yourself look simple just because of your dislike of a player? In the end it's good that Kessel is gone because this team needed to start fresh and do things properly. Hate the guy all you want but at least be reasonable and honest when supporting your stance.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
The real fools in all of this are the Pittsburgh Penguins, who are now $40 million plus deep in on a six year commitment to a rapidly depreciating "asset". The Leafs cut their losses and recouped a couple of prospects. The next stop for Pittsburgh could likely be a big time buyout and a destroyed cap for a dozen years.

This is starting to look like one of the GOAT trades for this organization.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

They have already fired 1 coach and now TSN was discussing what happens next GM Rutherford fired the team torn apart if or now more likely when they miss the playoffs? Looks like Pens might be heading for "scorched earth" now themselves.

Pens have made the playoffs 9 straight seasons and during that stretch also won a Cup, lost in the finals and the 3rd round and never had less than 98 points (in a full season). They add Kessel in hopes of propping up their 2 star centres and they're off to their worst season in a decade.

The amazing part to me as foolish as the Pens where, their GM was still smart enough to lottery protect their 1st round pick for the next 2 years. Maybe Rutherford simply learned from history with Kessel that you better CYA or your going to look really foolish giving away top 10 picks perhaps. Smart enough to protect the pick but foolish enough that the Kessel trade might cost him his job which he couldn't protect.

We as Leafs are so lucky that Shanny and co. was able to make Kessel someone elses headache now. IMO

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
My happiness isn't of the "I can't wait to see him fail!" kind. I was happy when the trade dropped simply because of the direction and commitment to a 'new team' that would follow.

I hoped that Phil would breakout with a star center; playing like he did in the olympics. In no way am i smiling that Pittsburgh, Phil and co. are struggling. However, I do know that if they were lighting the world on fire, we would be getting a post a week about how the Leafs gifted a franchise winger. So in essence this scenario works out just fine for my nerves.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
On an entertainment aspect, I'm not that happy because lets face it, Kessel was a very entertaining player when he was on his game. He played really well here on the Leafs.

On a team aspect, I am glad to see him gone. Opens up cap space, we got some good prospects out of it...now I'm hoping that the Pens make the playoffs in order to get that 2nd round pick :P

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Oh believe me, it's comical.

Based on your simplistic logic (facts) Bozak is as good or better than
because he has as many or more points than all these players, playing on a weak team and is only 1 pt behind.

You misunderstood the point or perhaps misinterpreting "good as or better than" as a player because they are statistically the same. ;)

You should be asking why does Kessel (believed to be a star in the NHL) and playing with either Crosby or Malkin (2 of the best players in the game) have = to points as some of those lowly average players he is currently tied with statistically.

Bozak isn't great because he is tied in points with Kessel, but rather this reflects on how poorly Kessel is doing in Pittsburgh.

If people said that 30 games into the season that Leo Komarov (10 goals) replacing Kessel on the Leafs top line would have more goals than Kessel (9 goals) at this point , they would have said that is crazy talk. But that is also a true fact !!.

Wouldn't you agree that Leafs are the big winners here, because they were able to find a trade partner, get young assets in return and move on without Kessel?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
On an entertainment aspect, I'm not that happy because lets face it, Kessel was a very entertaining player when he was on his game. He played really well here on the Leafs.

On a team aspect, I am glad to see him gone. Opens up cap space, we got some good prospects out of it...now I'm hoping that the Pens make the playoffs in order to get that 2nd round pick :P

1st rounder, I assume you mean.
This is the only thing I HATE about the trade, the fact we weren't able to get a non-conditioned 1st rounder.

The silver lining is that we get the 2nd rounder back (pitts) - if they miss this year. Which would mean 2 decent second rounders. Then the condition moves to next years 1st rounder. If missed again we just get their 2nd and don't cough up a pick.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
You misunderstood the point or perhaps misinterpreting "good as or better than" as a player because they are statistically the same. ;)

You should be asking why does Kessel (believed to be a star in the NHL) and playing with either Crosby or Malkin (2 of the best players in the game) have = to points as some of those lowly average players he is currently tied with statistically.

Bozak isn't great because he is tied in points with Kessel, but rather this reflects on how poorly Kessel is doing in Pittsburgh.

If people said that 30 games into the season that Leo Komarov (10 goals) replacing Kessel on the Leafs top line would have more goals than Kessel (9 goals) at this point , they would have said that is crazy talk. But that is also a true fact !!.

Wouldn't you agree that Leafs are the big winners here, because they were able to find a trade partner, get young assets in return and move on without Kessel?

Without a doubt I agree the Leafs win. Even if Kessel rebounds I still think this was best for the team. In fact there's a few more players that should move on sooner rather than later.

That isn't the issue I was bringing up in your post. Your bias is getting the better of you. Not only am I asking why Kessel isn't producing with Crosby, I'm asking why isn't Crosby producing with Kessel or without Kessel for that matter? Malkin while doing significantly better than both is also only tied for 26th. Everyone, with the exception of those with a hate on for Kessel, is asking what is going on with that team?

I didn't misunderstand your post. I'm looking beyond the statistical anomaly with Kessel to the downright oddity with not only Pittsburgh but so many other great players this year. So far, in relation to scoring races, things are not playing out as they should when players like Kessel, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos who I'm pretty sure were in the top 10 for scoring the last couple of years are now nowhere near it.

No offense but you're disregarding some pretty big names to focus on just Kessel.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Without a doubt I agree the Leafs win. Even if Kessel rebounds I still think this was best for the team. In fact there's a few more players that should move on sooner rather than later.

That isn't the issue I was bringing up in your post. Your bias is getting the better of you. Not only am I asking why Kessel isn't producing with Crosby, I'm asking why isn't Crosby producing with Kessel or without Kessel for that matter? Malkin while doing significantly better than both is also only tied for 26th. Everyone, with the exception of those with a hate on for Kessel, is asking what is going on with that team?

I didn't misunderstand your post. I'm looking beyond the statistical anomaly with Kessel to the downright oddity with not only Pittsburgh but so many other great players this year. So far, in relation to scoring races, things are not playing out as they should when players like Kessel, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos who I'm pretty sure were in the top 10 for scoring the last couple of years are now nowhere near it.

No offense but you're disregarding some pretty big names to focus on just Kessel.

This is a Kessel thread , not why Crosby/Stamkos/Tavaras aren't producing or why Kane/Seguin/Benn are .

basically your just trying to deflect the spotlight away from Kessel

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
My happiness isn't of the "I can't wait to see him fail!" kind. I was happy when the trade dropped simply because of the direction and commitment to a 'new team' that would follow.

I hoped that Phil would breakout with a star center; playing like he did in the olympics. In no way am i smiling that Pittsburgh, Phil and co. are struggling. However, I do know that if they were lighting the world on fire, we would be getting a post a week about how the Leafs gifted a franchise winger. So in essence this scenario works out just fine for my nerves.

I feel the same way other than with how the Leafs are doing (effort wise anyway) it would have been nice to see Kessel succeeding as well.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
This is a Kessel thread , not why Crosby/Stamkos/Tavaras aren't producing or why Kane/Seguin/Benn are .

basically your just trying to deflect the spotlight away from Kessel

Sorry you feel that way but that's not my intent at all. Just pointing out the obvious.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

He turned on the burners against Slovakia and Slovenia but failed to show up in the knock out stages. I would not say his play in the Olympics say much about him other then when he is hot, he is really hot.
He is one of the best players in the world when on the rush, problem is that in most other scenarios he is close to useless. With a star center like Crosby or Malkin you dont really play a counter attacking game, you are the one pushing the other team back with nifty passing.

Lets see if Kessel manages to adopt seeing as no way will the team adopt to him like was the case here in Toronto.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sorry you feel that way but that's not my intent at all. Just pointing out the obvious.

The obvious is Kessel is having a poor season , Malkin who he has played the majority of games with isn't and while he may be off a couple or three points from his typical production that can also be contributed to his struggling winger.

Stammers poor season just like Kane's outstanding one has nothing to do with PK's scoring woes .

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I don't know that he would be that miserable. He clearly doesn't have a burning desire to the best he can be or anything.

At the end of his current contract he will have had 95,000,000 MILLION - ninety five million - reasons to not be miserable.

He's got/getting his cash.

$95,000,000.00 NINETY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He turned on the burners against Slovakia and Slovenia but failed to show up in the knock out stages. I would not say his play in the Olympics say much about him other then when he is hot, he is really hot.
He is one of the best players in the world when on the rush, problem is that in most other scenarios he is close to useless. With a star center like Crosby or Malkin you dont really play a counter attacking game, you are the one pushing the other team back with nifty passing.

Lets see if Kessel manages to adopt seeing as no way will the team adopt to him like was the case here in Toronto.

his vaunted Olympic performance basically came down to ranking up some points against the minnows of the world , when he had to produce against quality competition he disappeared

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
The obvious is Kessel is having a poor season , Malkin who he has played the majority of games with isn't and while he may be off a couple or three points from his typical production that can also be contributed to his struggling winger.

Stammers poor season just like Kane's outstanding one has nothing to do with PK's scoring woes .

I don't believe I ever said they did.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He showed up against Boston in the playoffs. I don't doubt his offence, but his commitment to his training and defence gets coaches/teammates/fans infuriated.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't believe I ever said they did.

you were obviously trying to say something by bringing up other struggling players around the league so if you weren't trying to deflect attention away from PK then what were you trying to say ?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

This thread is about Kessel trade and the Leafs. ;)

The Pens have made the playoffs for 9 straight years and add Kessel in hopes he puts them over the top and makes them playoff contenders however they're now struggling mightily, already fired their coach and in total turmoil. Pens PP was top 10 last year and add Kessel and now the 3rd worst with him.

I'm betting GM Rutherford is having some serious second thoughts about making the Kessel trade and likely regrets it based on the results. In fact he might have sealed his own fate and faces getting fired.

On the other hand Leafs management must be jumping for joy now, thankful they were able to dump Kessel when they did, because based on how poorly he is doing statistically he would be virtually impossible to deal now with that massive contract and they would have that hanging around their necks now. I'm in the same camp as Leafs management now and thankful Kessel is now Pens headache and not my Leafs.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
This thread is about Kessel trade and the Leafs. ;)

The Pens have made the playoffs for 9 straight years and add Kessel in hopes he puts them over the top and makes them playoff contenders however they're now struggling mightily, already fired their coach and in total turmoil. Pens PP was top 10 last year and add Kessel and now the 3rd worst with him.

I'm betting GM Rutherford is having some serious second thoughts about making the Kessel trade and likely regrets it based on the results. In fact he might have sealed his own fate and faces getting fired.

On the other hand Leafs management must be jumping for joy now, thankful they were able to dump Kessel when they did, because based on how poorly he is doing statistically he would be virtually impossible to deal now with that massive contract and they would have that hanging around their necks now. I'm in the same camp as Leafs management now and thankful Kessel is now Pens headache and not my Leafs.

Absolutely and he did need to go.

Anyway, I seem to be angering the Kessel hating crowd so I'll just step away from this thread.

Enjoy your day :)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Absolutely and he did need to go.

Anyway, I seem to be angering the Kessel hating crowd so I'll just step away from this thread.

Enjoy your day :)

I'm not angered at all , why would i be ? He's not our problem anymore and whether he struggles or performs well with the Pens and there two elite centers (which we don't have) the only concern for me is the conditional pick .

i just asked what point you were trying to make by bringing up struggling players around the league if it wasn't to deflect attention away from Kessel sub par season so far .

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
In 74 games during 2015, Kessel has 38 total points. As a contrast, Seguin already has 42 during this season. Thanks Burke.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Man did Burke ever set this franchise back for years. I guess we wouldn't have Dubas/Hunter/Babcock without all his mistakes...so theres that.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The amazing part to me as foolish as the Pens where, their GM was still smart enough to lottery protect their 1st round pick for the next 2 years. Maybe Rutherford simply learned from history with Kessel that you better CYA or your going to look really foolish giving away top 10 picks perhaps.

Rutherford had last year's debacle fresh on his mind, where they only made the playoffs in the last game of the season. Otherwise the unprotected pick they gave up (to Edmonton no less) would have been a McDavid lottery ticket.

Though as it was that pick ended up being used to select Barzal, which still looks pretty bad on him. Perron for Barzal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad