Are you a "team" fan or "player's" fan?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
City fan, primarily. Philadelphia's team in every major sport. Should we somehow get a second team, they'd be my second team in that sport. (Also West Ham, through a bizarre set of circumstances.)

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I'm actually a mix of the two. I scouted Kucherov before the draft and knew he was going to be a franchise player. So naturally I have been a huge fan of his. I've done the same with Tyler Johnson (Thought he would of been a top 6 player. He got there, just didn't last that long lol.) so I tend to be fans of them. However my home team won't change regardless. They will always be first, but yeah If I scout someone out generally I want the guys to succeed that I think that will. So naturally I just wish them the best and keep an eye out for them. However with that said, the team always comes first.
Coincidentally the players who you are player fans of play on the same team as the one you’re a fan of. Seems to be driven from being a team fan and too coincidental to be true. You can’t say you’re a mix of both and then only mention players who play on the team you cheer for

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Depends on the sport. Hockey it's always team. I'll follow how players careers are going though oddly it's rarely the guys the league puts in the spotlight. For example I couldn't care less about Kane or Matthews, though I respect their talent, I'm far more interested in following a player like Nic Roy, Darren Helm, or Demko.

Soccer I'm primarily an Ajax fan, which God help you if you want to get Eredivisie on TV in the US, so I try to follow whatever notable US players I can at any given time, and follow teams that play an attractive, positive style of play.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
Player.

I'm a die hard Habs fan - but I feel like I like my favorite players more.

The year after Subban was traded - if you could have given me the choice between Subban winning the cup in Nashville or Habs winning the cup without him, I'd have picked Subban.
Price - if you give me the choice between Habs winning the cup without Price next year, or Habs trading Price and having him win the cup on another team, I'm picking Price to win.

It's close though with my favorite team. Beyond my favorite team - this is 100% player driven for me and not close. I only ever care about other teams based on players they have. ie I like Kucherov and Crosby, so enjoyed recent successes of Pitt or Tampa. If either player got traded - those teams become meaningless to me
Why did the trade Subban straight up for Webber? I heard this over the news in Canada sports a while back. Wasn't Subban like 5 years younger than him? That's like trading Lillard straight up for Doncic. I'm surprised the Preds weren't forced to throw in picks or other players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I do think some of it has to do with age.

Kids generally like players, adults tend to like teams.

I think what happens is that the player(s) that excited you enough to get into hockey retires or is traded, and you sort of transition into admiring the team.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Both for me.

First and foremost I cheer for the Oilers.

There have been certain players I knew personally so I would cheer for them/their team when they played there.

Then there are the stars of the game that I don't necessarily cheer for their teams, but I love to watch. For instance I love watching Matthews, but there is no way I'm ever cheering for the Leafs in a game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I've always been a team guy, even in sports where I have no ties to any particular teams I have to just pick one to root for in order to care. The collective effort was always one of the things that drew me to team sports. There's not a single individual sport that I honestly enjoy watching, even ones I enjoy playing.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Started as a player fan (Lemieux), but instantly became a Pens fan when he went to Pittsburgh. Been a team fan since then, even through those awful years and lucked out with a few more amazing players ending up there.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Both. NYR first but I have dozens of players I love. Even on rivals. Barely follow football, don’t follow other sports.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Coincidentally the players who you are player fans of play on the same team as the one you’re a fan of. Seems to be driven from being a team fan and too coincidental to be true. You can’t say you’re a mix of both and then only mention players who play on the team you cheer for

Spencer knight of the Panthers I've scouted. Loved the kid, think hes going to be a hell of a goalie.

Jacob Markström I've scouted, thought he was going to be a number 1 goalie. Took him a while, but he panned out in Vancouver.

Andrey Makarov I missed on. Thought he would of been a number 1 goalie. He played all of 1 game.

Adam Larsson from the Oilers. Was really high on him. While he still turned into a serviceable NHLer, didn't become the player I expected he would be.

There are some here that I didn't mentioned that I completely whiffed on like Makarov I posted above. I do tend to scout a lot of lightning players. Most of those that I scout I generally tend to do after we got the rights. Kucherov was the exception to that rule. Johnson and Palat however weren't. I didn't even bother with them until the Bolts got their rights. It happens.

Reactions: ruaware41

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Team.
Being a fan of a player seems like kiddo stuff: "I want to be like X!". I don't think I've ever heard "I'm a fan of team Y, even though it's soul crushing." from a child.

Flames -> Day 1 shit, there are pictures of me as a baby in Flames gear.
Jays -> I was about 6 or 7, afterschool I'd have the Jays game going in the background as I did my homework (fits perfectly the 5pm start times out West).
Raps -> I was 13 when I got into basketball, I loved Sacramento because they had two great Serbian players and the style of play was so damn fun for the mid 2000's, I followed them until I was 18 or so... by then the stuff that made me a fan of that team had long gone.

I liked Juve growing up; issue was in Calgary it was so hard to watch any football growing up. Saturday mornings you could get a couple EPL matches and then random Series A from the Italian channel haha. I don't really have a professional European club I like anymore; hence why there's rarely any soccer on my TV.

NFL/CFL, my dad was a Stamps fan, I liked them as a kid, then my GAF level about CFL passed at like 17 years old; NFL I'm starting to flirt with going all in on the Jags; it annoys my friends the most and I love underdogs/losers, hence my love of Flames hockey.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Team for sure. But I would cheer for Matthews and Nylander to win anything and everything wherever they go, probably because I've spent so much time defending them and have developed a deeper affinity to them than other Leafs. I know lots of people felt the same way about Kessel.

I would cheer for Josh Allen and Vlad Jr no matter where the play. I'm cheering for Kawhi Leonard to win and I really don't care about the Raps, so you can say I'm a player fan for the NBA.

Then there's players I love watching, like Barzal and Derrick Henry

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad