Are you a "team" fan or "player's" fan?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Idk how to add a poll. But a team fan means you support a team no matter what quality of players the team has. A player's fan means you only support a certain team because it has X player. I would say for me, I'm strongly more of a players fan. I like to watch exciting players like McDavid, Crosby, Matthews, Ovechkin, McKinnon, etc. (while you might think I follow the Leafs, I actually don't that much tbh even before the 3-1).

In the NBA, I am more of a team fan (Raptors) but I do follow the other stars like Lebrons, Curry, Big 3 Nets, etc. MLB I mainly follow players like Ohtani, Trout, Tatis, Vladdy, Acuna, etc but Jays if I had a preference.
It’s never about the name on the back but always about the logo on the front.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Team absolutely. The Red Wings are my only love. I would never betray them because their players suck. Which they do.

But for my secondary teams, I'm a player fan. I like the Caps for Ovie. I like the Lightning for Kucherov, Point and Hedman. Ditto Colorado for MacKinnon and the boys (though it took a bit of getting used to). I like the Oilers for McDavid.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I like my team because I like the players that have played for them. Lafleur, Beliveau, and Richard. It kind of goes hand in hand. I don't know if I would have liked those players if they had played on another team, and I don't know if I would have liked the team if they never had those players. Chicken or the egg?

Reactions: Fledgemyhedge

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Team mostly - though players I like I will cheer for success even if they aren't on my team. Often will cheer for players who played on the Oilers for some time as well that I liked or thought they go a raw deal - Eberle and Petry come to mind there at this exact moment.

Reactions: Thenameless

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Both.

Being a fan of junior hockey it's only natural to follow certain players into the NHL and keep an eye on tier careers. At the same time, the hometown team is #1 on my heart, and will be always.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Team fan first. Been a Habs fan since I started watching hockey around 1970 -- same for the Steelers in the NFL and Michigan in NCAA sports.

I do like to watch players I've followed before their pro careers -- Plymouth Whalers (OHL) and US NTDP alumni, as we had/have season tickets for those teams, and former Michigan Wolverines.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm one of the fan types people dislike. I love my team but I can't be bothered to watch many other NHL games because I don't care about the other teams. I do watch many playoff games however of other teams.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Mostly Finnish players, not really a fan or a specific team.

controversially I do dislike some teams

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
My team has sucked for some years now so I've mostly been exited following certain players around the league.

I still root for the Ducks, it's just that there isn't much to root at lately...

So both I guess, team & player fan.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm one of the fan types people dislike. I love my team but I can't be bothered to watch many other NHL games because I don't care about the other teams. I do watch many playoff games however of other teams.
I think your description of yourself is the description of most fans (even on HF). I don’t think people inherently dislike this kind of fan.

Reactions: Summer Rose

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Neither. Used to be a "team" fan of my local team but as players stopped playing, they changed arena/logo etc, I grew up etc I stopped to really care. Would be kinda happy if they won it all once during my lifetime but a decade or so ago I would have been extatic and celebrated for days now it would more be like "ok that's good".

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Tough one for me, live in Ott and NYC half the year so enjoy watching all teams in that area a ton. So I can’t consider myself a true team fan, guess I’ll go player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad