Are you a "team" fan or "player's" fan?

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
Idk how to add a poll. But a team fan means you support a team no matter what quality of players the team has. A player's fan means you only support a certain team because it has X player. I would say for me, I'm strongly more of a players fan. I like to watch exciting players like McDavid, Crosby, Matthews, Ovechkin, McKinnon, etc. (while you might think I follow the Leafs, I actually don't that much tbh even before the 3-1).

In the NBA, I am more of a team fan (Raptors) but I do follow the other stars like Lebrons, Curry, Big 3 Nets, etc. MLB I mainly follow players like Ohtani, Trout, Tatis, Vladdy, Acuna, etc but Jays if I had a preference.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I'm actually a mix of the two. I scouted Kucherov before the draft and knew he was going to be a franchise player. So naturally I have been a huge fan of his. I've done the same with Tyler Johnson (Thought he would of been a top 6 player. He got there, just didn't last that long lol.) so I tend to be fans of them. However my home team won't change regardless. They will always be first, but yeah If I scout someone out generally I want the guys to succeed that I think that will. So naturally I just wish them the best and keep an eye out for them. However with that said, the team always comes first.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Team for NHL. Player for every other league.

Derek Rose
Tom Brady
Golden State but only for the collection of players not for the team per say.

But for hockey other than bandwagoning I don't cheer too much for anyone else.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Both. I'll always cheer for the Habs first no matter how shit they are(Although when they're truly terrible it turns into cheering against them for a good draft pick). I've been a Capitals fan as my #2 team since about 07 purely for Ovechkin though and will probably move to the Rangers once he retires for Fox and Lafrenière.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I thought I would root for Sam Bennett, David Rittich and TJ Brodie in the playoffs but I didn't. So team for sure

Reactions: Volica

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
Team in all sports but I like to watch games my teams aren’t playing in if the games will be good

Streetsamurai

Nov 1, 2019
Player. I like teams that play fun to watch, offensive hockey. I refuse to root for a team that play the trap just cause its based in my hometown

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Mix I guess
I pretty much only watch Jets games, but I tend to cheer for certain players in particular, as well as a few others from other teams that I'll check up on

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Player.

I'm a die hard Habs fan - but I feel like I like my favorite players more.

The year after Subban was traded - if you could have given me the choice between Subban winning the cup in Nashville or Habs winning the cup without him, I'd have picked Subban.
Price - if you give me the choice between Habs winning the cup without Price next year, or Habs trading Price and having him win the cup on another team, I'm picking Price to win.

It's close though with my favorite team. Beyond my favorite team - this is 100% player driven for me and not close. I only ever care about other teams based on players they have. ie I like Kucherov and Crosby, so enjoyed recent successes of Pitt or Tampa. If either player got traded - those teams become meaningless to me

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
A bit of both.

As a Finn, I follow Finns around the league a lot and wish them the best. Malkin is also my favorite player, so I like when he does well.

In the beginning, I couldn't really cheer for a team, but that changed because Rask is a goalie and I used the fact that I got annoyed when he got scored on to transfer that over to the team as a whole and now I really like the Bruins.
I started following the Oilers more closely when Puljujärvi got chosen for them because I expected he'd be the Kurri to McDavid's Gretzky, but that didn't quite end up being the case. The Bruins are definitely my number 1 team, but I like my profile logo. :P

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
A certain player might get me interested of a team, but it's the team synergy, team spirit and team play that grabs me.

Erik Haula is a good example. I liked his love for the game, it's contagious, but ended up closely following all his former teams (except Panthers ofc :) ).

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Neither really, all my teams are out of the league or bankrupt or otherwise don’t exist anymore, and athletes are such tame personalities that i don’t get heavily invested in them

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I support two teams, HIFK and Boston Bruins.

I like to see the Finns do well abroad particularly in the NHL and even against the Bruins provided their team loses.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Player, i consider weird to support a team that is not your local team.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Team fan for sure. I expect that there a lot of team fans in hockey due to player continuity. Where as in basketball or soccer a fan might be more likely to just follow LeBron or Zlatan or whomever around from team to team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad