Are we going to make the playoffs or just being pushed away from a top draft pick?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
With the new head coach the Winnipeg Jets are on a winning streak, what do you guys think will the Jets be able to make the playoffs or are we just be pushed away from a good draft pick? This is a good thing or a bad thing?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If we go 23-8 we'll finish with 97 points. Is 23-8 likely? Probably not.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
20-7-4 == 95 points. The pace in the West has regressed such that the playoff line is now slightly under 6pts in 5 games, or around 98 points.

All I can say is: go Jets 2.1! Draft? Let that fall where it may - we managed a great pick with a 9th overall a couple years ago. :nod:

What are we going to do this year Jets?
Same thing we do every year fans....try and get the 14th overall pick.

In all seriousness i hope we make it. Can't tank like the Oilers.

Pinky&Brain.jpg

One of my favourite cartoons ever. :nod:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What are we going to do this year Jets?
Same thing we do every year fans....try and get the 14th overall pick.

In all seriousness i hope we make it. Can't tank like the Oilers.

This means that we are just spinning our wheels.:help::help::help:

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
What will be, will be.
Draft picks are great, but there are tons of guys available later in the round and Chevy and the scouts seem to have been making great picks so far. Picks are not going to be home runs every time, sometimes you get a goose egg.

I would rather have a strong finish even if we just miss the playoffs, there by showing other players that we might want to attract that we are a team that is going to be in the playoff equation rather than a loser picking 1st overall.

Who knows, Chevy might trade some guys for future first rounder picks and with the lottery anyone can get lucky.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Would getting a draft pick in the 5-8 range be nice? sure it would. But, what is more important is this team taking steps and improving on the ice. We need to shake this losing mentality and get out of this funk this group has been in for years. To me, this team has indeed underachieved a bit this season, as I never believed they were as bad as we were seeing. I was on the fence with the Maurice hiring not knowing how the team would respond, but I said the day it happened I wouldn't be surprised if Maurice got *this team* playing good hockey. I never believed just because Noel was fired that it meant we had to then trade this core player or that core player. The differences a coaching change can make can be big, and I think many (Lawless especially) miscalculated that factor.

I hope we continue on playing good hockey, even if we end up finishing 9th in the West and just missing out, while also not drafting as high. It is far more important for this group and organization to go on a positive run and re-invent themselves. To me, the remaining games since Maurice was brought in was a clear path runway heading into next season. This is our time and opportunity to get the room feeling good and begin making the players believe they can be a good hockey team. And hopefully that positive momentum can carry on in to next season. The players would then be familiar with Maurice, they would trust him given the results (if we finish on a positive swing here), and there would be no adjustment period or growing pains to begin next season. We can hopefully hit the road (with confidence) and running. On the plus side here, I have seen more smiles on the Jets bench in the last week than I've seen dating back to game one in October 2011.

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
So you are saying that we are being pushed away from a top draft pick?

More than likely, but if we can build towards a better season next year I'm all for it.

To me draft position isn't as important when you're out of the top five and I didn't think we would finish bottom five. The top five are often the pinnacle prospects after that you really need to trust your drafting staff and I think they've so far (at least in the first round) proven that they deserve our trust.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
For the sake of the team's unity and culture, I hope we make a good push. Players will develop faith in Maurice. We can improve on our prior seasons. Chevy will still draft a stud.

We're going to make the playoffs

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
There's nothing wrong with building a team WITHOUT a top 10 draft pick. One look at Edmonton's fail-house of a team will prove that.

Believe it or not, there are ways to stay competitive while still adding effective pieces that can improve your team.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not concerned about draft position. I'm more concerned about mgt becoming reluctant to make trades for the future at the deadline.

I'd like to see our entire third line shipped out before March 3. Maybe a dman or two as well, depending on whether we're getting anything back to fill out the roster.

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
20-7-4 == 95 points. The pace in the West has regressed such that the playoff line is now slightly under 6pts in 5 games, or around 98 points.

All I can say is: go Jets 2.1! Draft? Let that fall where it may - we managed a great pick with a 9th overall a couple years ago. :nod:

Pinky&Brain.jpg

One of my favourite cartoons ever. :nod:

Agreed.

You go out there and try to win every game possible. I don't ever want our players or management to want to lose. You try your best to win games and you build confidence in the group of players you have.

Tanking is not a recipe for success.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
So... you don't want the Jets to win games?

Draft position is so over rated here it is crazy.

I want to win and win a lot of them to make the playoffs but if we finish in 9-10 place then it is kind of spinning wheels because that has happened since3 the team has gotten here.(Chevy and the scouts have drafted well though).

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
I want to win and win a lot of them to make the playoffs but if we finish in 9-10 place then it is kind of spinning wheels because that has happened since3 the team has gotten here.(Chevy and the scouts have drafted well though).

Exactly. It's happened since the team has gotten here, and we got Scheifele and Trouba.

Are we going to rock the 9th/10th pick every year? No. Is it a recipe for disaster? Arguable, but no.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Wins, team confidence, and players getting results from a new coach are FAR MORE VALUABLE than a higher pick in what I'm told isn't the strongest draft year.

Because of this I think we can do this(have strong push, even if we don't make the playoffs. If it was 2015 draft with McDavid then it would be crazy to this.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Winning>>>>>>>Drafting high

True North is probably in the top 5, maybe top 3, for teams spending on scouting, draft analytics and research. I had heard this from a top TN exec, that believed they will make good on the drafting due to the resources they were putting into it.

It was stated, you can only spend to the cap on players, but you can spend to the nines on resources off the ice, which Thompson and Chipman have.

They have already shown an ability to go off the board and nab talent that most draft experts had going much later such as Scheif and Morrissey. I have faith that wherever we are drafting at, we will make good on it.

Tanking is not in this team's cards, nor should it be. Winning will build more internal talent than a top 5 pick. We have young talent, we need to teach them to be winners, and keep adding good players through the draft. Even without a top 10 pick, chevy has shown he can find diamonds in later rounds.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I'm not concerned about draft position. I'm more concerned about mgt becoming reluctant to make trades for the future at the deadline.

I'd like to see our entire third line shipped out before March 3. Maybe a dman or two as well, depending on whether we're getting anything back to fill out the roster.

this is a good, then you can give the young ones a chance and see how they do.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Winning>>>>>>>Drafting high

True North is probably in the top 5, maybe top 3, for teams spending on scouting, draft analytics and research. I had heard this from a top TN exec, that believed they will make good on the drafting due to the resources they were putting into it.

It was stated, you can only spend to the cap on players, but you can spend to the nines on resources off the ice, which Thompson and Chipman have.

They have already shown an ability to go off the board and nab talent that most draft experts had going much later such as Scheif and Morrissey. I have faith that wherever we are drafting at, we will make good on it.

Tanking is not in this team's cards, nor should it be. Winning will build more internal talent than a top 5 pick. We have young talent, we need to teach them to be winners, and keep adding good players through the draft. Even without a top 10 pick, chevy has shown he can find diamonds in later rounds.

Good post and welcome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad