Are we going to make the playoffs or just being pushed away from a top draft pick?

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
(1) The Jets will make the playoffs and (2) I don't really care which draft pick they get. With respect to tanking, if they ever conspired to avoid winning a game in order to get a higher draft pick, or for any other reason, that would pretty much be the end of my interest in the team unless everyone involved was immediately fired or kicked out of the league.

kaolinite

Oct 24, 2013
A NHL season is not complete without the Jets fighting for the last playoff spot. I am expecting a good push and the teams ahead of us to trip up a bit just enough that we have a chance... then we know the rest ,but NEVER GIVE UP!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A NHL season is not complete without the Jets fighting for the last playoff spot. I am expecting a good push and the teams ahead of us to trip up a bit just enough that we have a chance... then we know the rest ,but NEVER GIVE UP!

And this is what it means to be a Jets fan. Why in the **** would we want to give up on the playoff dream in late January when we are on a 4 game win streak and with a new coach seemingly pushing all the right buttons. Worrying about who we draft can wait for a warm sunny day in late June.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
An intentional "tank", if I understand the term correctly, flies in the face of what sport is about.

I feel deeply that integrity is a part of sports, and if, for example, I was a fan of the Jets next year, and they intentionally lost the final game to get McDavid, I would be a former fan of the Jets.

Just to clarify: when most sports fans talk about "tanking", they're not talking about throwing games. You would never get away with that, only an idiot would even hint to his players that throwing games would be advantageous. Mel Bridgeman reportedly did that with the expansion Sens to tank for Daigle and got in serious trouble with the league.

At the management level, there's some evidence to suggest that it may occur. For example, there are 3-4 NBA teams this season that are stripping their rosters bare. They claim it's to create cap room, I call BS...it's to have a shot at landing Andrew Wiggins. Bad NFL teams will often start rookies in the last few games under the guise of "giving them a look". While there may be some truth to that, it also has the desired effect of giving them a greater chance of losing and thus better draft position.

Does it happen in the NHL? Probably not as overtly as those other two sports, but I think it does happen to some degree.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Jets should push to make the playoffs & become a better team instead of just tanking to get a higher draft pick.

What the Oilers do every year is an embarrassment to their fans & the city of Edmonton.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
The Jets should push to make the playoffs & become a better team instead of just tanking to get a higher draft pick.

What the Oilers do every year is an embarrassment to their fans & the city of Edmonton.

Agreed.

Especially this year, where anyone in top 10, or even lower, can become the best player from this draft. Now a top 5 pick next year may be worth tanking for. :naughty: :D

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Just to clarify: when most sports fans talk about "tanking", they're not talking about throwing games. You would never get away with that, only an idiot would even hint to his players that throwing games would be advantageous. Mel Bridgeman reportedly did that with the expansion Sens to tank for Daigle and got in serious trouble with the league.

At the management level, there's some evidence to suggest that it may occur. For example, there are 3-4 NBA teams this season that are stripping their rosters bare. They claim it's to create cap room, I call BS...it's to have a shot at landing Andrew Wiggins. Bad NFL teams will often start rookies in the last few games under the guise of "giving them a look". While there may be some truth to that, it also has the desired effect of giving them a greater chance of losing and thus better draft position.

Does it happen in the NHL? Probably not as overtly as those other two sports, but I think it does happen to some degree.

It's hard for NHL teams to do it, but it's typically called the rebuild/retool phase instead of tanking. Calgary and Buffalo are doing it this year. I refuse to call what the Oil are doing 'tanking' because they've been at it for the last 8 years or so.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It's hard for NHL teams to do it, but it's typically called the rebuild/retool phase instead of tanking. Calgary and Buffalo are doing it this year. I refuse to call what the Oil are doing 'tanking' because they've been at it for the last 8 years or so.

There's a different word for what the Oilers have been doing for 8 years. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad